Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skimmers moving fast and close combat.
Closed Thread
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Skimmers moving fast and close combat.

Well I've read the rules on skimmers moving fast and the rules on assaulting vehicles to some guys I game with and they still say that the " only glancing hits on a skimmer that moves over 6' " doesn't apply to close combat. But to me when I look in the rule book on page 69 and it says *****ANY HITS**** that beat the armour value of a skimmer that has moved over 6 inches counts as glancing instead of penetrating I would be lead to believe this holds true in CC as well. Any thoughts on this guys? Stealthpredator
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Skimmers moving fast and close combat.

"Any hits" means any hits. If a skimmer moved more than 6" in the previous turn, it cannot be penetrated. Period.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You're right. Any hits means any hits, including CC hits. that powerfist is just as likely to skim off the side of the tank as a lascannon.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:28   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah but in a tourney environment refs are rather lax in their duties even when i show them the page number. I guess space wolves infiltrating in on my board edge doesnt give them enough advantages. : SP
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm not very certain of this ruling after reading these posts, but I'll define how I've played the rules out:

shooting weapons hitting a skimmer moving over 6" always glances, no matter what.

Close Combat attacks against a skimmer only hit on a 6, but do their normal armor pen tests (the rulebook section titled 'infantry assaulting vehicles' states below the chart that skimmers are ALWAYS treated as 'moved over 6" ', and therefore are only hit on a 6)

this last rule interpretation is where I may be in error: If a skimmer actually moves 7", and is then assaulted.. is it truly only hit on a 6 and all penetrating hits are 'winged' to glancing hits? if so, then skimmers are very very durable against even powerfist weilding foes! wow!
Old 09 Jan 2006, 20:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Calistarius Send a message via AIM to Calistarius

Quote:
this last rule interpretation is where I may be in error: If a skimmer actually moves 7", and is then assaulted.. is it truly only hit on a 6 and all penetrating hits are 'winged' to glancing hits? if so, then skimmers are very very durable against even powerfist weilding foes! wow!
This is true. I despise high skimmer-count armies! Well, not really but they can be frustrating. :P

Old 09 Jan 2006, 21:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In my opinion, regardless as to how the vehicle is hit (HTH or ranged) the skimmer cannot be penetrated.

The reason for this is because in the debate of Ap1 vs skimmers moving fast, people have pointed me to the Eldar FAQ. In it there is a section that reads exactly as follows:

Skimmers
-If a skimmer moving over 6" is hit, regardless of the source, all penatrating hits become glancing hits -- including Wraithcannon and Haywire Grenades

It's not referring to just Eldar skimmers here. It's a general skimmer rule. It says regardless of source. It also mentions haywire grenades which, if anything like other grenades, can only be used in HTH (though I really don't know for sure )

So if you ask me, a fast moving skimmer can never be penetrated. Ever.

So who else thinks that the main rules themselves need a FAQ and not just each individual race?
Old 09 Jan 2006, 22:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I do. I have been letting my opponents penetrate my skimmers in combat to make it "more fair".

I can think only of that statement of Calaban's above, which I hear very often, but it is rationalization and not a rule. Nonetheless, I have heard this on more than one occasion when calling GW.

And there is no place to turn for official rules answers. GW sucks at running the rules portion of the game.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 22:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
And there is no place to turn for official rules answers. GW sucks at running the rules portion of the game.
Yeah, GW sucks at writing, basically.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 10 Jan 2006, 01:39   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Sorry about the edits guys. It got a little too colorful. We have to keep it PG-13, at least.

Literally, a skimmer that has moved over 6" can only ever be glanced. I think this may have been an oversight it the way the rules were laid out, but that is the literal interpretation.
Closed Thread