Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strategy Rating
Closed Thread
Old 09 Jan 2006, 18:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Strategy Rating

Why do the Tau only have a stratergy rating of 1?

When you read the codex, it has stories of sweeping plans where each unit has specific goals all perfectly timed etc. A fluid movement of perfect unision. This sounds like they would be highly tactical, but....

Am I the only one this little rule confuses?

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 09 Jan 2006, 18:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau
Default Re: Stratergy Rating

Isn't this to do with the fact that Tau are quite naive in terms of the grim future that is 40k? That they know little of outside worlds and therefore have few strategies to deal with the horrors outside of their own defence. (This is probably crap but it's what i've been told by several and actually kinda makes sense.)
Old 09 Jan 2006, 18:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Stratergy Rating

Well, I suppose I can see the logic in that, but havent necrons got a pretty high stratergy rating (havent got the rulebook on me) yet they've been asleep all the time so don't really now strengths and weaknesses of modern day races...

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 09 Jan 2006, 18:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Strategy Rating

True True...

The Tau should have a Strategy Rating of at least 2
Old 09 Jan 2006, 18:49   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Strategy rating is a rather annoying bonus that Space Marines and Eldar don't really pay for. I wouldn't read too much into its implications for the fluff.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 18:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I suppose it's one of those things like Tau only being BS3, I'd think any army that ONLY trained in ranged combat would have a higher than average ballistic skill..

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvaurius
.... This sounds like they would be highly tactical, but....
Strategy and tactics are nowhere near the same. Preserving victory points is a strategy. The rhino rush is a tactic. Strategy is where you want to go. Tactics are how you get there.

Quote:
I suppose it's one of those things like Tau only being BS3, I'd think any army that ONLY trained in ranged combat would have a higher than average ballistic skill..
First, tau might dislike hand to hand combat, they might suck at it, and they should certainly avoid it, but they do train for it. Second, BS3 is above average. In 40k terms, the United States Marine Corps would have BS2.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I always considered an army's strategy rating to represent not only their experience in conducting warfare, but also the speed in which they can prepare their lines and engage the enemy.

Its important to consider several events that occur before and during a conflict:

* The mobilization of resources
* The deployment of resources
* The army's experience in fighting on all types of battlefields
* The army's experience in fighting all types of enemies

While the Imperial Guard have been around longer than the Space Marines have, remember that an Imperial Guard army simply doesn't have the ability to rapidly deploy and mobilize to engage the enemy as the Space Marines do. With Eldar you must take their psychers into consideration as they will more than likely pick the field of battle and the time engagement begins. Necrons gain their advantage not from experience, but from their lightning fast ability to drop their Monolith's from the sky, and teleport an army into any position at a moment's notice. They also clean up quite nicely once the conflict is over via teleportation. Necrons excel at raids and shock attacks which can sometimes leave their enemy with little to no time to prepare for the engagement.

While I do agree Tau should be at a S.R. of 2, I think the S.R. of 1 best shows their current lack of experience in conducting battles outside their homeworlds. As they are just beginning to emerge and engage new forms of hostiles on new worlds they will not be nearly as adequately prepared to take the fight to the enemy as other armies can. While the Tau have mobility and technology on their side, they lack the military experience and tactics that other races have been using for hundreds, thousands, (millions?) of years.

-SaturN
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvaurius

When you read the codex, it has stories of sweeping plans where each unit has specific goals all perfectly timed etc. A fluid movement of perfect unision. This sounds like they would be highly tactical, but....

Am I the only one this little rule confuses?
Read more into it. Eventually the plans don't go as planned and they have a tactical retreat. That's why the strategy rating is one, they rely on everything going to plan. Once the plan collapses, we disengage.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

i believe that its because the tau are a reactive race= they don't find themselve invading all the time, in campaigns i believe the stratagy rating is meant to be this defensive attitude the Tau have.
~good hunting