Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealing from epic?
Closed Thread
Old 09 Jan 2006, 07:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Stealing from epic?

So I was skimming(pun to become apparent) through the rulebook again and apparently skimmers do not get any kind of benefit from being behind cover. I find this kind of lame =/. So what if we stole something from epic? Moving up and down.

During your movement phase you must declare if your skimmer is flying high or low. High gives them the advantage/disadvantage of removing the benefit of cover from itself and target vehicles(just like current rules). Flying low does the opposite.

Yay, nay?

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 09:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Stealing from epic?

I reckon skimmers such as the devilfish and hammerhead should get a cover advantage if the terrain is higher than the vehicle itself!

-Commander of the Tau Jungle Raider expeditionary force
-Captain of the Black Templars crusader force no.56
Old 09 Jan 2006, 10:04   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Skimmers do get cover benefits. The only time they "pop up" is when they end over cover. You can still skim low to benefit from being hidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 09 Jan 2006, 13:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Skimmers count as a size 3 tank but they can use landing gear and count as size 2 (since one part is taken up by the anti grav).

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 14:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wait a minute, I must be totalling misunderstanding so if someone wouldn't mind please explain this from the ground up.

If a skimmer like the Devilfish doesn't get any benefit from cover would that me if I've got a skimmer behind a building my opponent can shoot at it as if the building wasn't there? I don't mind telling you that seems rather f'd up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 09 Jan 2006, 14:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I feel like I missed an entire section of the ruelbook every time people start talking about "sizes" of vehicles, units and terrain. Size 1 versus size 2, etc. Where in the big book is this information?
Old 09 Jan 2006, 15:14   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Well I long-since gave up on the "size" system... anyone who claims a Vyper is the same "size" as a Falcon needs slapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 09 Jan 2006, 16:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctum
Skimmers count as a size 3 tank but they can use landing gear and count as size 2 (since one part is taken up by the anti grav).
There is no such rule in the rulebook. Those are from the vehicle design rules, which don't really count in normal games.

A skimmer is size 3, and hides perfectly well behind size 3 terrain. They can no more be seen through it than a land raider can. They can, however, hover overtop of it, at which point they can see and be seen overtop of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawshis

I feel like I missed an entire section of the ruelbook every time people start talking about "sizes" of vehicles, units and terrain. Size 1 versus size 2, etc. Where in the big book is this information?
I don't have the book on me, so I can't give you the page number. It's early on in the book, when discussing terrain and cover saves.

In general, though, shrubs and fences are size 1, people are size 2, vehicles, forests and monstrous creatures are size 3. If a line of sight can't be drawn to you that doesn't go through terrain that is at least as big as you, you can't be seen (unless the firer is larger, so a tank can shoot and be shot at by tactical marines on the other side of size 2 terrain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Well I long-since gave up on the "size" system... anyone who claims a Vyper is the same "size" as a Falcon needs slapping.

Well, it is a rule straight from the rulebook. You may not like it, but if you're playing by the rules you have to deal with it. The only way to get away with it is if your opponent doesn't mind making a house rule with you.

There are too many unrealistic rules in the game to worry about how a vyper isn't technically the same size as a falcon. A dreadnought isn't the same size as a predator, which isn't the same size as a land raider either, but they're all size 3. It's just the way the game works.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 17:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Guys I know you can hide completely behind terrain, but I'm talking about getting the glancing roll for it.

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 18:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ummm...yeah...an obscured skimmer? Would that let you force a reroll of penetration? Or would that let you force a reroll of the glancing table? If the latter, would that reroll potentially stack with the reroll for decoy launchers? Interesting concept...

Realistically, though...a skimmer can benefit from being obscured...if it's landed. If it isn't, well, "skimmer protection" is better than being obscured anyway!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread