Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My first 40k experience
Old 09 Jan 2006, 05:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default My first 40k experience

Hello!

My friend and I decided to buy some 40k minis and try Warhammer for the first time ever. He likes Marines and bought a lot of Space Marines. I decided I liked the look and hi-tech feel of the Tau, so went with those. We bought several minis about 4 months ago, and finally got pushed into having our first game ever by a friend who wanted to watch how it went (he is interested in Tyrannids...)

I built what I'm sure alot of people would say is a TERRIBLE 400 point combat patrol - but I had the minis and liked the "feel" of the army. I put together this:

9 Firewarriors with Photon Grenades
- One upgraded to leader
- Attached Devilfish with all the trimmings
- Sensors, Multitracker, Target Array, Decoy Launcher, Disruption Pod, and Flechette Discharger

- An Ethereal with upgraded Honor Blade, and 2 Shield drones attached also to squad.

They all live in the fish.

Also 7 Gun Drones.

This gave me 400 points even. (assuming I'm not forgetting anything...going by memory).

============

I loved the combat. Both being beginners, we both made some hideous mistakes. First was his leaving a scout squad in the open without cover on turn one near the objective. In my first turn, I had flown to him with the fish, dropped the warriors under it and out one side, droped the fishes drones between his troops and mine, and brought up the gun drone squad behind. 18 rapid fire shots later, he had 2 scouts in that group and my gun drones were snaking around (too many models in one spot to really do what I wanted, but this was close...) my firewarriors, all mostly underneath the fish (only slightly problematic).

The drone snake paid off, as it turned out to be "the closest unit" to another of his groups by one model and he didn't want to try to shoot past them, so he peppered some drones at the end of the snake that stuck out next turn. (I was also told at this point that tanks were ignored for purposes of "closest unit" - but I thought that sounded odd. Either way, we let it go and ignored the tank for now)

Next turn, my tank shot one of the two remaining scounts and shocked the other into running. My firewarriors then were able to open up on a marine squad in range and the gundrones reformed in a more respectable screen also taking shots at the marines.

It went on for 6 turns with both of us trading shots and eventually him charging me with his flamer crew (ouch). I won in the end, basically because 1) we were both beginners and had no idea what we were doing 2) With the ethereal especially, my Tau never broke from combat and stood fast in melee for four exchanges, and most importantly 3) I got some critical good rolls on armor saves while he got some critically bad ones one gun shots (snipers rolling snake eyes alot).

Either way, I was happy that my little group took out a (regular) scout squad, three scouts on bikes squad, a tactical marine squad, and injured slightly a scout squad with heavy weapons (sniper rifles and a heavy bolter) in the 6 turn combat patrol. I lost all drones (devilfish drones, shield drones, gun drone squadron) and 4 of the (regular) 9 firewarriors.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone for all their wonderful posts here. It really helped give me ideas of how to use my meager Tau units (my Minnow of Fury!). Please keep the ideas coming, especially when the new units come out (I'm still operating with a 2001 printing Tau codex.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 06:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: My first 40k experience

Minnow of fury!

Ahem. Yes, I will help you. But being told "they all live in the fist" cracked me up.

Excellent work getting the codex, be sure to read through the rulebook a few more times... you may have made a mistake.

It seems that you are low on models, so you just load up on everything!

With no further adu, a 300 point list!

Nine Fire Warriors + Shas'ui upgrade = 100 points.

Devilfish Transport + Targetting Array + Decoy Launchers + Multi Tracker = 100 points

Seven gun drones are 84 more points, allowing room for two more fire warriors.

BTW, you don't need an HQ in CP.

Finally, click on the part of my sig about Mech Tau... an explanation of what you are doing already (kudos!) and how to advance it!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2006, 17:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to snipin_joe

Yeah, that patrol is kinda like mine which is:

-12 fw, with markerlight
-bare bones devilfish with 4 seeker missles, with pathfinders inside (3 with rail rifles)
-8 gun drones

it works pretty well, and have have not lost a combat patrol under it (although i usually dont play them)
Old 09 Jan 2006, 17:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Firstly, welcome to the Forums!

Sounds like your first game was a lot of fun! And not to worry about the "horrible combat partrol" list, we've all been there! (Actually, I still think that I am!)

Cost of a Box of FireWarriors: $40 Canadian
Cost of a Ethereal Bilster: $12 Canadian
Cost of a Devilfish: $35 Canadian

Making the FoF become "Minnow of Fury": Priceless

Cheers!
Shasel_Aunat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2006, 18:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Hello, welcome to the forums! I'd like to point out some illegal or incorrect maneuvers - please don't take offense. It can be hard to find definitive rules answers.

The only real "mistake" in your list is taking sensor spines, which do just about nothing in 4th edition. Everything else is fine, though some of it may be of questionable tactical value. :P

Quote:
I was also told at this point that tanks were ignored for purposes of "closest unit" - but I thought that sounded odd.
It is odd, and amazing how many people misread this rule. A casual glance and an intuitive interpretation are all that most people seem to put into it. The rule is that you can ignore INFANTRY to shoot at large targets (tanks, monstrous creatures, artillery), but you can NEVER ignore a large target, not to shoot at infantry or even another large target. A passed leadership test will let you target anything in range, excepting of course independent characters. Even if your weapons cannot damage a tank, you can be forced to fire on it - the failed leadership test symbolizes panic. The rule is on page 19 of the rulebook.

Quote:
Next turn, my tank shot one of the two remaining scounts and shocked the other into running.
This should not have been possible. You move, then shoot - tank shock occurs in the movement phase. Perhaps you've just worded it wrong.

That's... just about it! Not too bad for a first game! ;D
DireStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2006, 19:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks all for the kind words!

Direstrike, you are correct. I got a little exciting in my late night typing after the game. As you could tell, it wasn't the best narrative chronology of what happened. It went more like this:

My turn - Movement: tank shock two scouts unsuccessful. Shoot: two scouts and hit one successfully killing it.

Opponent Marine rolls low and fails some type of morale check he needed to make (not sure if it was for casualty or last man standing actually...)

Either way next turn begins with his single scout moving directly away from tank at top speed and not firing at anyone (not sure if this was by choice of not wanting to fire or inappropriate weapon for movement with firing or because he was falling back really. It was just fun to see the little guy running away from the big tank.)

Anywho, I'm sure we made WAY more mistakes in the long run. But the point was, it was alot of fun.

Glad you all enjoyed the "Minnow of Fury" comment as well.

And I'll bet you can't guess where my Aun'shasta's name came from. I'll give you a hint: I was thirsty when I built this army...
Old 09 Jan 2006, 22:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunshasta
They all live in the fish.
greetings

I think you may have come up with a slogan for tau online t-shirts:

"Tau Online- we all live in the fish."

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
captainwhizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2006, 23:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunny
Firstly, welcome to the Forums!

Sounds like your first game was a lot of fun! And not to worry about the "horrible combat partrol" list, we've all been there! (Actually, I still think that I am!)

Cost of a Box of FireWarriors: $40 Canadian
Cost of a Ethereal Bilster: $12 Canadian
Cost of a Devilfish: $35 Canadian

Making the FoF become "Minnow of Fury": Priceless
HAHAHAHA Can't Stop laughing! It's now my new signature. Cheers Aunny!

For a first time, that's pretty good. You played agreesively with Tau, which in my books, no begginers would have been brave enough to do. Also, you have seem to learn the purpose of drones (to be used as shields) very fast (I know, because it took me 10 games to realize the purpose of drones!).
Well done.

Cheers!
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote