Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Greek Tau
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jan 2006, 21:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Greek Tau

I have been thinking about this for quite a while now and would like to present my thoughts to you.

The tau army structure seems to be modled after conspicuously similar to that of the Greek army under Alexander. The main phalanx of the Greek army attacked a significantly further difference than other armies due to their very long spears and with great devastation in massed numbers, Similarly to the tau's main weapons (I know I'm not including archers.) These spears would kill many out of the approaching enemies however once you got passed the spears the soldiers be came exceptionally bad at combat (you try killing a man at arms length with a 12' spear, not very easy). Similar to the tau's horrendous close combat ablates. The best chance for the army was to stay to gather and focus on killing units off before they could get to close (tau tactics any one?).

Additionally I believe that the Greeks hired many mercenaries who did not train and fight with phalanxes, but rather swords and shield type weapons up close. (Kroot and Vespids any body?)

Finally we come to the last part of the army the cavalry. The Greek cavalry was led by none other than Alexander the Great (Shas’O /’El). It was incredibly mobile (Just like the battle suits) and could attack and quickly withdraw (JSJ anybody). It would mainly harass the enemy and leave, similarly to battle suit tactics.

I have no counter part for our vehicles as the idea of any thing like that did not occur until much later in history.

That about sums it up.

A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 08 Jan 2006, 22:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Greek Tau

Whoa.......that's really cool.

Old 08 Jan 2006, 22:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmmmm... interesting connections, but where do the Tau's highly mobile tanks come in? I agree with the mercenaries bit, though.

Gamesworkshop has been known to base their armies off of existing armies and cultures. Example: The Eldar are believed to be based off a mix of LOTR elves and Japanese feudal warriors.

"Ever since my experience points went into quadruple digits, I've had to fend off the ladies and harpies with a two-handed plus three broadsword." - Sci Fi Greg
Old 08 Jan 2006, 23:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like the comparison... add to all that that Tau is actually GREEK for the letter T
Old 08 Jan 2006, 23:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Greek philosopher Aristotle also argued there was a fifth element namely Aether wich was a divine substance that made up the heavens (Etherals anyone?)
"Stranger, I bid you greetings in the name of the Tau. If you are reading this then you will have encountered one of our messenger drones and are therefore a spacefaring race. Soon you will see more evidence of us, this is no cause for alarm."
Old 09 Jan 2006, 00:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

There are a lot of similarities, as you pointed out - my guess is that you've probably spotted where Games Workshop got their inspiration from (others think that there is a mix of japanese samurai in there too?).
Old 09 Jan 2006, 00:29   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I definitely see some Japanese feudal warriors in Tau culture. The Tau'va itself resembles the Way of the Samurai, or Bushido. Ta'lissera bonding knives also remind me of katanas.

Tau battlesuits are also said to be inspired by Japanese manga or comics.

"Ever since my experience points went into quadruple digits, I've had to fend off the ladies and harpies with a two-handed plus three broadsword." - Sci Fi Greg
Old 09 Jan 2006, 00:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Just take a look at the Shas'O sketch in the rulebook. Notice some katanas anyone?

Also the segmented plates of the armor seem to resemble the segments of a japanese style of armor (particularly the shoulder pad) more than say a european one.

GW seems to take inspiration (which is putting it nicely) from a lot of things. However thats not always good, unless my memory has died taking a little too much inspiration from something was why 2 of the 20 founding legions names were expunged.

Old 09 Jan 2006, 00:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
. However thats not always good, unless my memory has died taking a little too much inspiration from something was why 2 of the 20 founding legions names were expunged.
ooh, what do you know?

[size=7pt]^ And what do you know? Please no more pointless posts. Thanks! - Aunny[/size]

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 09 Jan 2006, 01:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A friend of mine once said that the tau were like Native Americans and the Japanese.

If you look at the caste sytem, it is similar to some native american beliefs, as is the tactica. I find that spreading out tau works much better than clumping them, and so I relate more to native american tactics of ambush. I've also related them to mongols on a seperate post.

Their overview is very much inspired by japanese history, as you will find several posts on TO have mentioned (warp storms to typhoons, etc.)

So I'd say that your connection works well, but I've always agreed with my friend on their native american/ japanese roots.

Also, yes, the kroot are very akin to native americans in their rougher appearance and their equipment, in their tactics and their special abilities (NOT the dead bodies one though...not all of native americans did that)
Closed Thread