Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Jungle Run
Closed Thread
Old 08 Jan 2006, 21:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default [BatRep] Jungle Run

Well its been almost 2 months since I participated in the campaign (life sucks atm what can I say) and as it would happen when I checked in today the Tau are not doing so well and a breakout was necessary. Without the Or'es Shi it would seem the Tau offencive is faltering. So I was stuck in a breakout mission with the jungle fight rules against black Templars at 750 points, the lists were as follows:

Tau:
Shas'O, plasma rifle, fusion blaster, shield gennerator, HW MT
Shas'ui, plasma rifle, missil pod, multi tracker
Firewarrior Team Alpha 8, shas'ui, bonded
-Devilfish APC, DL, TA, MT
Firewarrior Irregulars Team 8, shas'ui, bonded
-Devilfish APC, DL, TA, MT
Hammerhead, Ion Cannon, SMS

Black Templars:
Castelan, terminator armor, storm bolter, power fist
-Terminator command squad (5) 2 assault cannons
Emperors Champion
Dreadnaught, assault cannon, DCCW
Crusader (tactical) squad (10)
Crusader (combat) squad (5) lascannon

Alright so the champion, dread and 10 man squad went on the right, the lascannon combat squad and the terminators went on the left. I set up in the middle with my 2 fish towards the bottom and the Shas'O and Shas'ui between them and my Ionhead above. There was a hill to my right and a trail leading into a clearing and another trail going off it to the board edge. The termies sat under the trail the combat squad over. The other group is utterly inconsiquential and heres why:

Turn 1:
Tau
I know I know I got first turn but its very hard not to in a breakout mission for the attacker. So I sat there looking right and left, right and left. I ended up deciding that the left was easier as I had plenty of termie killers. So I skim to the left my crisis suits bouncing into the trail and my Hammerhead sitting just in the clearing above my Devilfish who were in a line. Devilfish pour fire into the tac squad and kill 3 of them the Ionhead fires at the termies and does nothing. SMS do nothing.

Black Templars
Lascannon goes whif and nothing happens, termies come forward and shoot at fish, shake it. Dread, Champion and 10 man squad walk forward.

Turn 2:
Tau
Un shaken fish skims over dumping Alpha squad out back who lets it rip on combat squad and it goes boom. Ionhead skims down and goes above the terrain dumping fire into the termies, nothing happens. Shas'O kills 2 terminators. Devilfish kills another 2. 1 Terminator left and the castelan who run forward at the tank.

Black Templars
Dread, Champion and 10 man squad run forward, terminators try and take down the HH but fail.

Turn 3:
Tau
Alpha squad loads up and both fish skim off the board to safety. Ionhead moves almost to the edge but stays in to cover the suits. Shas'ui kills a terminator. Shas'O kills the Castelan. Yet another commander to add to his record.

Black Templars
Dread, Champion and 10 man squad try to rush to sight and shoot the crisis suits but cant get there.

Turn 4:
Tau
HH and both the Shas'O and Shas'ui almost skip off the board edge. Game Over.

Results:
Black Templars lost 5 Tactical marines and 5 terminators aswell as their terminator castelan. Tau lost absolutely nothing and got everyone successfully off the board. Well and above the mission objective. Crushing Victory for the Tau!

However this was almost utterly too easy. Not only did my opponent have to split his forces but being fully mechanized I could have utterly ignored his troops and just skimmed off the board if I wish. Only because I wanted to did I stick around and kill his command squad and the combat squad. There was no challenge it was jungle fight and a foot slogging split force against an all mechanized one in break out and the mechanized army had skimmers. The odds were just amazingly stacked in my favor. So a very unsatisfying fight and I most likely wont get to go back to the campaign for yet another month. Well perhaps Ill be able to give the Dark Crusade a go at the Springfield GW.

Old 08 Jan 2006, 21:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: [BatRep] Jungle Run

Nice battle but as you said it was to easy. Though you did ripe them to pieces, and might i ask for another list of what the shas'o has killed in his illustrious lifetime?

Old 08 Jan 2006, 21:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Alright lemme see, here it is:

Shas’O Ximoro’An Honored Kills
-Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnaught
-Daemonhunter Grand Master
-Daemonhunter Terminators
-Fire Prism Grav Tank
-Pheonix Lord Baharoth
-Leman Russ
-Death Cult Assassin
-Wave Serpent
-Space Marine Commander
-Thousand Sons Sorcerer Lord
-Callidus Assasine
-Terminator Castelan
-Black Templar Terminators

Note: This is just a list of the types of things he has killed, not counting regular troops and not counting the number of times he has killed each type. Also he has yet to die and has only been wounded once if I remember right and that was by the Death Cult assasine in close combat. So not a bad record.

Old 08 Jan 2006, 22:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Dear God!!! I want one. Shouldn't he be retired now and let some young blood in? Seeing his list i could throw my entire army against him and nothing would happen besides me getting pawned. ;D

Cheers........to the shas'o

Old 08 Jan 2006, 22:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

When the new codex comes out I may retire him. For the most part I am trying to see if he will actually "die" for a change. Like I said hes only been wounded once. If he actually fell in a battle I could say that due to his wounds he has finally agreed to retire to the Shas'Ar'Tol. However Im not about to be reckless with him in the hopes the enemy will take the hint and kill him. In this battle he was key as he helped make sure the terminators were not a problem personally killing a fair amount of them. He may actually have killed more than I said in the report I was not too sure on who killed how many terminators all I could remember is how many were left each turn.

The key to his success is the armaments he carries and the protections he is layered with. The Shas'O upgrade for the extra cc survivability, the shield gennerator to have mild protection from insta kill or low ap weapons and the IC status to keep him safe from the vast amount of enemy fire. All combined it makes him a tough nut to crack and with the fusion blaster and plasma rifle he can kill pretty much everything.

Hes not a be all end all character who can wipe through entire armies and alone he probably wouldnt last too long but as part of my army he can be key for pulling me out of tough situations when other units fail he can cover them and he has a reasonable chance of blowing away half of a terminator squad if they decide to deep strike and 2 or 3 terminators is not nearly as hard to kill as 5.

Old 09 Jan 2006, 03:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to zxcvbnm1017

Wow, That's a lot of kills for a suit, with that good of a record, I dont see why a person would WANT to replace it.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 15:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I am very impressed that 8 FWs killed a 5 man SM squad. Even in rapid fire range, that's some really good wounding/failed save ratios.

I find that since my Tau list is so highly mechanized, it's very easy to get at least some units off the board. It is funny though that the marines actually had more troops than you. 2 suits/16 FWs versus 6 termies/15 marines. Seems like the vehicles you fielded were what ensured the easy victory.

An easy victory is still a victory. Shame there was no lessons to be learned from the battle. Unless you're the marine player….5 terminator command squad in 750 points? Madness!
Old 09 Jan 2006, 18:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Sorry to hear it was so easy... but hey, that's your opponents fault for not being up to snuff! Hopefully you'll have more of a challenge next time.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 18:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Cooool...

Nice Batrep.
Old 09 Jan 2006, 20:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawshis
I am very impressed that 8 FWs killed a 5 man SM squad. Even in rapid fire range, that's some really good wounding/failed save ratios.

I find that since my Tau list is so highly mechanized, it's very easy to get at least some units off the board. It is funny though that the marines actually had more troops than you. 2 suits/16 FWs versus 6 termies/15 marines. Seems like the vehicles you fielded were what ensured the easy victory.

An easy victory is still a victory. Shame there was no lessons to be learned from the battle. Unless you're the marine player….5 terminator command squad in 750 points? Madness!
Actually the 2 Devilfish had cut down 3 of the marines though thats actually even stranger than the 16 pulse shots killing 2... which they barely did. Sory if that was unclear. As for the terminators I think he was hoping that at such a low points level I would not have enough low AP weaponry to deal with them as that was a lot of terminators however with 1 Fusion Blaster and 2 Plasma rifles it was not so hard. I did not even have to relly on massed small arms fire. I could have also have used a railhead instead of an ionhead. I am not too impressed by the ionheads performance yet, though I admit it wasnt a good test for it. Ill have to try it out latter.

On the note of being outnumbered, yes It is ironic isnt it. Not the first time either. Against the same BT player I fought him in a combat patrol I had 2, 100 point Devilfish with 8 Firewarriors in each, bonded and with shas'ui it was a perfect 400 points. He had I think 8 maybe 10 assault marines and a full tactical squad. So it was 18-10 to 16 and 2 tanks. So again I was outnumbered. Latter that same day I fought Tau and he had 24 Firewarriors, a battlesuite and 8 gun drones on the field while I had 16 Firewarriors and 2 tanks. I won both battles and in the latter where I was outnumbered by 2 to 1 easily I lost only a single Firewarrior and he had only 1 left. Lately I find with my mechanized style of play that I am outnumbered very often but that I can cordon off and overwhelm specific threats fairly easily.

It was a bit unfair that I was taking 3 tanks to a 750 point mission like this. Some lucky meltas and perhaps an assault squad to try and catch me would have perhaps turned the tide though admittedly I had an awefull lot of advantages. As said there was not much to learn from this battle which is sad as there is usually much to be learned, especially in defeat. What my marine opponent learned is that you cant catch mech Tau with foot sloggers and that a Helios Shas'O eats terminators for lunch.

Closed Thread