Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is the Shas'o going the way of the dodo with rumored targetting array is true?
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jan 2006, 21:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Is the Shas'o going the way of the dodo with rumored targetting array is true?

I was wondering what folks thought of still using the Shas'o if the rumors about suits being able to get a targetting array are true. As I see it, for a fraction of the point difference between the Shas'el and Shas'o I can add a targeting array to the Shas'el and he'd be just as good at ranged combat as the Shas'o.

True the Shas'o has an additional wound, and better close combat abilities, but that's a lot of points for a model that can be insta-killed just as easily as the Shas'el.

Anyone with reasons to pay the points for the Shas'o?
Old 07 Jan 2006, 22:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin
Default Re: Is the Shas'o going the way of the dodo with rumored targetting array is true?

Well seeing as how we don't know how much a Targeting array is, it's a difficult question. However the Targetting array will not be able to be hardwired, so many combos won't be usable with the TA, such as the two weapon/shield combo's that work oh so well on Shas'Os. Plus th Shas'O has better stats as you already pointed out, including Leadership. I don't expect it will change much, however, as a twinlinked Shas'El is currently more accurate and cheaper than a Shas'O, yet the Shas'O is still currently used.
Old 07 Jan 2006, 22:56   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Is the Shas'o going the way of the dodo with rumored targetting array is true?

If the targeting array is a hardpoint then i'd still use the Shas'O as i like to equip at least 1 HQ with all 3 weapons.
Old 07 Jan 2006, 23:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Certainly not. I dont want my commander limited to two hardpoints as the helios with a shield works amazingly with my commander and even if I didnt the aditional stats have saved him many times from nasty close combat situations. I mean the commander doesnt usually get tied up by guard, no hes got death cult assasines and Grey Knight Grand Masters lunging at him.

Old 07 Jan 2006, 23:36   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconrider
If the targeting array is a hardpoint then i'd still use the Shas'O as i like to equip at least 1 HQ with all 3 weapons.
I can see equiping three weapons if one was going to a tournament where you can't predict your opposition, but when do you still equip your commander with 3 weapons when you know who your opponent is going to be? I haven't played in any tournaments, and therefore know what opponent I'll be playing against.
Old 07 Jan 2006, 23:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarshal
I can see equiping three weapons if one was going to a tournament where you can't predict your opposition, but when do you still equip your commander with 3 weapons when you know who your opponent is going to be? I haven't played in any tournaments, and therefore know what opponent I'll be playing against.
Well you can still make very versatile Commanders, even if you know what army you'll be facing. Such as plasma/missile/burst with hwmt against orks with a mega armoured retinue and several vehicles. Although it would be very pricey. Personally I wouldn't do such a thing, but I could se where it would be effective.
Old 08 Jan 2006, 03:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to LoneDragon Send a message via MSN to LoneDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LoneDragon
Default Re: Is the Shas'o going the way of the dodo with rumored targetting array is tru

The targetting array is really only going to be useful for command suits. Twin-linked suits don't need it, and multi weapons suits need the hard point for a multi-tracker.

~Yub yub, Commander!

Always use Stealthsuits.

2000 points of Tau, no Kroot

HeroScape rules!
Old 08 Jan 2006, 03:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Is the Shas'o going the way of the dodo with rumored targetting array is tru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneDragon
The targetting array is really only going to be useful for command suits. Twin-linked suits don't need it, and multi weapons suits need the hard point for a multi-tracker.

~Yub yub, Commander!
I dunno I think it might be usefull on team leaders and shas'vre who can take hard wired systems. I personally run only 3 suits other than my Shas'O so making them all team leaders and giving them a HW multi-tracker would be very do-able and not coste a lot of points either. Add the targeting array to that and I suddenly have 3 shas'el equivilant shooters and a Shas'O running about the field.

Old 08 Jan 2006, 03:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Don't forget, the crisis weapons prices and base cost are shuffling around. I'm going to wait to see everything before I start fiddling with new crisis configs. I don't want to lock myself into one paradigm or another just yet.
Old 08 Jan 2006, 04:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I'd say that the Shas'o is going the way of the Dodo if, and only if, the targeting array can be hardwired. If it requires a slot, well, that's going to make things difficult for an 'el.