Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Trying to figure out how to outfit my crisis suits (a bit long)
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jan 2006, 21:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Trying to figure out how to outfit my crisis suits (a bit long)

Hey guys,

This is my first post here, and I hope you don't mind if I make it a longish one.

I'm having a problem deciding how to specifically outfit my crisis suits. This isn't a question as to which configuration is the best (I don't think there is a best, though there may be a worst), but given my situation how should I configure the crisis suits that I have.

I've built the models for 9 crisis suits (have the weapons for up to 12 due to the 3 broadsides I also got), and I'm about to permanently attach the weapons to them. Using Blue-Tac just hasn't been cutting it for me. Since I'll be permanently attaching weapons I need to be careful how I go about it. I'll be waiting for the new Tau codex to come out before actually attaching the weapons, but I've based my designs on the rumor that the targetting array will be a valid support option for crisis suits.

My opponents are typically SM, CSM, Necrons, and occasionally Tyranids. I'm not so worried about equipping my crisis suits to handle the Tyranids because I have plenty of stealth suits to take care of that situation.

So far I've got 5 suits planned out.

*4 "burning eye" crisis suits equipped with twin-linked plasma rifles and the targetting array. I'd probably deploy these in two 2-suit teams.

*1 "sunforge" crisis suit equipped with twin-linked fusion blasters and the targetting array. This would be my cheap, deep-striking unit to take out those hard targets that need to go away. It'd have only a 1 in 9 chance of missing so even though it's not likely to live long it'll hopefully take out a high-value target before then.

The above leaves me with 4 suits that I'm not yet 100% sure as to how to outfit them. The considerations are.

*up to 2 "fireknife" crisis suits equipped with plasma rifle, missile pod, targetting array and hard-wired multi-tracker. I could either take these as Shas'el or Shas'ui team leads for the burning eye suits. I'd be more likely to take them as Shas'el, take advantage of their IC status, and if I wasn't popping infantry/termies, then I'd be using them to take out light vehicles. (I won't always take 2 Shas'el, but I'd like to be able to for when I don't want to take an ethereal.)

*up to 2 "helios" crisis suits equipped with fusion blaster, plasma rifle, targetting array and multi-tracker. Would play a similar roll as the fireknife suits above, but with a greater emphasis on getting close to the enemy. Would be more useful against Necrons and heavy vehicles, but not as versatile.

*1 "bladestorm" crisis suit equipped with plasma rifle, burst cannon, targetting array and hard-wired multi-tracker. I'd take this as my Shas'el against the Tyranids or other lightly armored, low toughness opponents. I'd get a fair amount of shots, and the plasma rifle would let him still have the AP ability to take on some of the tougher targets.

*1 "firestorm" crisis suit equipped with missile pod, burst cannon, targetting array and hard-wired multi-tracker. Again, a Shas'el suit. Very similar to the bladestorm suit, but with greater range and higher strength weaponry, though lacking in AP. I'd either build a bladestorm or a firestorm, but not both since I'm more likely to rely on stealth teams in these games.

*1 "helios" crisis suit equipped with fusion blaster, plasma rifle, shield generator and hard-wired multi-tracker. This would be either a Shas'el or Shas'o suit. It'd be very survivable, especially if I added a hard-wired drone controller and shield drones, but it's also expensive. I think I'd use it either for deepstriking for when I needed to survive the counterattack, or for trying to hold ground/objectives.

As you can see I have 7 suits designed for only 4 remaining slots. Does anyone have recommendations amongst my choices? Any suggestions for something I missed, or anywhere that I've gone horribly, horribly wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07 Jan 2006, 22:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Trying to figure out how to outfit my crisis suits (a bit long)

First off, welcome to the boards!

Now, as to your post... Why do you want to glue them on? I've always found that my weapons fit nice and snug on my suits without doing anything special. They stay on perfectly fine. I hear that this isn't how it is for other people, which is surprising, but if you have the time I'd suggest using magnets.

One of the best things about a crisis suit is its configurability, and gluing the pieces on takes that away.

I know that this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I do ultimately find it a better solution (albeit more work).
Old 08 Jan 2006, 04:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

You have nine Crisis suits? How big is your army going to be! Mine has 1500 and I've only got three!

For my three I have 2 with twin - linked plasma rifle, missile pod, Hard - wired multi - tracker

And a Helios Shas'O.

When you say targeting array do you mean Target Lock?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 08 Jan 2006, 05:41   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I don't typically plan on fielding all nine crisis suits. I tried that a couple of times, and it never worked as well as I thought. The more usual case is that I field 5 to 6 crisis suits at a time. I've been playing Tau for a while, and have acquired probably more stuff than I should have.

When I say "targeting array" I do mean targeting array and NOT target lock. The current rumors on several 40k related boards is that in the new codex the targeting array will no longer just be for vehicles, but will also be a hardpoint option for battlesuits. It's just a rumor, so if this doesn't turn out to be true I'll have to rethink my plans.
Old 08 Jan 2006, 06:10   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauplayer
First off, welcome to the boards!

Now, as to your post... Why do you want to glue them on? I've always found that my weapons fit nice and snug on my suits without doing anything special. They stay on perfectly fine. I hear that this isn't how it is for other people, which is surprising, but if you have the time I'd suggest using magnets.

One of the best things about a crisis suit is its configurability, and gluing the pieces on takes that away.

I know that this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I do ultimately find it a better solution (albeit more work).
Same here. mine fit too tightly, in fact. but yeah, you could use magnets or a very small double-sided tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 08 Jan 2006, 06:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I am not one for half measures and Fireknives. Find a weakness in your list, then plug it with your Crisis suits. Nine Crisis suits? Wow...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 10 Jan 2006, 01:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

i am running 10 and need help
Old 10 Jan 2006, 02:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

try not to glue them. Even though it might seem like a better idea to you, it won't work in the future. If you have 9 crisis and 3 broadsides, chances are you will not have many FW. Because of this, I would suggest burst cannons. Howeer, since steaths are a better option, i would drop a team for a team of stealths. As what Mechtau says, find a weakness. (In case you are wondering, that weakness is numbers.)
Closed Thread