Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Instead of those Photon Grenades, try spacing and bonding
Closed Thread
Old 07 Jan 2006, 17:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Instead of those Photon Grenades, try spacing and bonding

There's cool idea an orc opponent told me about. Against CC enemies, Fire Warriors survivability and efficiency vastly increases.

- Equip the squad with a bonding knife. A sha'sui helps, too.

- put one guy 2 inches in front of the main body of your squad

- put another guy two inches in front of him, in the direction of the cc opponent

-when assaulted, the one guy will take all the attacks, and if the enemy moves into the next guy, their assault ends with just him - not your main body.

- if you fail the morale save (more likely to get your desired fail with an ethereal) your fire warriors can move back

-with the bonding knife, they can reconsolidate even with low numbers

- with your move phase, make sure to spread out your fire warriors into wide spread squads (this also helps vs. line of sight for your whole squad as well as minimizing damage v. pie plates and those annoying fast attackers)

- the next shootign phase, you get rapid fire shots at the squad

- sure beats phton grenades, eh?
Old 07 Jan 2006, 18:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Instead of those Photon Grenades, try spacing and bonding

thats an oldie but goldie someone (ahem!) came up with, but someone else coined as the 'Tau Brace'. I guess it was because the Firewarriors were in effect bracing for a charge, with the intent of sacrificing drones to break off from combat and rapid fire...

it was in an old 'possible use for drones' thread, and in the huge 'FoF' thread... but in that discussion it involved drones attached to the firewarrior squad. this was more flexible because it could be set up with the JSJ assault move of the drones right before an imminent charge pretty effortlessly. the rules for breaking off effectively is a little off-target the way you described, so I'll clear it up a bit: if charging orks can only make it to your leading gun drone (or sacrificial FW) with their assault move, then that drone, and anyone else within 2" of that drone (the other drone) were the only ones engaged in combat, and therefore the only ones that take wounds... when the FWs lose the combat, and make a morale test and fail, there IS no sweeping advance, because theres no one in base to base contact (a requirement). and the 4" average distance gap between forces is just more assurance that the FWs fallback move no matter what will outdistance the enemy's consolidation move of 3" (all he gets!).

rather than a bonding knife as the supporting element (but by all means take it!), consider an ethereal instead... that way, you get to reroll any passed morale checks you may stumble upon. Back then we assumed the ethereals ability also allowed you reroll regroup tests, as well, but this is not the case. Ethereals ability only affects morale tests, not any and all leadership tests.
Old 07 Jan 2006, 18:59   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to ecco

Ooooh thats tricky, those are the kinds of tactics i like. Especially the variant with the drones. Very fluffy as well: sacrifice a couple drones so the warriors can fall back into a near-perfect shooting position. Good Stuff

Now do i mention this to my tau-playing friend or not...
Old 08 Jan 2006, 00:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sounds interesting but what if you pass both the moral tests and get stuck with the orks on your door step. What happens now hope for the best and flank them with your XVs?

Cheers

Old 08 Jan 2006, 00:47   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

that is real cool...I think I'm going to use this against my friends space marines if they decide to charge...either that or move a few stealth suits behind his troops, then do the run thing and fire from both sides
okay...so...this is my signature...yep...why are you even reading this? its not like I'm important...I'm just the ranting madman in the corner...whaddaya want me to do, say something wierd? well F*** that...
Old 08 Jan 2006, 01:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

This is a very good idea... but for more *ahem* dependable tactics, I feel a nearby Devilfish does wonders for running out of assault.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 08 Jan 2006, 01:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to gego_cybor1

Hmmmm...very very interesting.

I will try this next time I play for sure.

I will probably still take photon grenades if I play against blood angels because they get tons of assualt troops and those 4" wont do much for them.

I like how you think

Join the Tauonline Runescape Clan!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=90.0
I'm a Leader
Old 08 Jan 2006, 02:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis 541
Sounds interesting but what if you pass both the moral tests and get stuck with the orks on your door step.
well, passing a morale check you dont want to brings up a nasty and suicidal game mechanic: the dreaded "Pile In" move of both sides!! :-[
Old 11 Jan 2006, 03:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

true, and actually, a shas'ui will only even out the odds. if you pass leadership 8, thats bad. however, if you fail it when you want to regroup, that's bad too...
Old 12 Jan 2006, 23:46   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I don't get it ???

If the orcs or whatever are within assault range of the main body of your firewarriors then they are going to assault the main body, regardless of one or two forward positioned models. if the orcs are not in assault range then you don't need any kind of "sacrifice to get fall back, maybe" tactics.

It seems to me that by putting the drones out there (assuming the main body is not in assault range) you are just giving the orcs an extra @9" of movement.

What am i missing??? :-\
Just so you understand where Iím coming from; I am not a tournament player. However I play at least twice a week, and for the past 2 months my average is more like 3.75 games per week. Although Iíve only been at it for a year, I work hard to know the rules well and to keep abreast of tactical developments within the hobby. 40k is the latest incarnation of a lifelong interest in tactical games such as chess and OGRE/GEV.
Closed Thread