Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Brutes in kill-team
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jan 2006, 03:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau Brutes in kill-team

I just finished playing a kill team with a buddy and I wanted to see how things would go even though I knew they wouldn't go well. I just finished playing a kill team agianst a nine man squad of Space wolves scouts. They rolled over all of my gun drones and it was a true slaughter. He lost two people, one becuase of a lucky shot and the other because his plasma gun blew up in his hands. What does everyone else think of this? Is there something we can do our are we just hosed when it comes to Kill-teams, at least defending as a kill team.

~Ace
Old 06 Jan 2006, 04:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Tau Brutes in kill-team

Yeah, the Kill Team rules for Tau give us a pathetic Brute squad. I don't see how they could possibly give any army trouble.
Old 06 Jan 2006, 06:03   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is a little irritating. A mix of gun drones and Fire Warriors is more interesting and a little more fair against Space Marine Kill Teams. It seems fairly easy for them to just forget stealth altogether and just wipe out the Gun Drones as they arrive. Tau are very effective in attacking with kill-teams, especially with larger groups of Fire Warriors, but it can be pretty hard for them to defend anything effectively.
Old 06 Jan 2006, 07:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

I've found that sticking the gun drones as closely together as possible can help a lot. Once one or two klaxons are accumulated, it becomes very easy to activate all the drones. 18 or so twin linked carbines can really do some damage to a small kill team... just don't let him spread you out, and he won't be able to break through you without alerting the whole swarm.
Old 06 Jan 2006, 07:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

I intend on using my Kill Team Nemesis

Apart from that, not too sure what you can do about the drones - just try again and try and see what goes wrong (e.g. are the squads being picked off one by one? or do they get locked in combat so that the other drones can't shoot at KT).
Old 06 Jan 2006, 20:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the advice. It just seems crazy sometimes but thanks again.

~Ace
Old 06 Jan 2006, 20:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

maybe thats the best way to Brute out Kill Team missions: build an uber Nemesis!!
Old 06 Jan 2006, 21:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think that an even bigger problem than the drones is that we cannot get a decent boss. We are regulated to just an aun (commanders have jump-packs) who, as we all no, is hardly a monster combat unit. The best you can do with him is to give him an honor blade and tuck him in a corner.
Old 06 Jan 2006, 22:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

We get a shas'ui for a boss... so 20 points for a fw with an extra attack :

The ld. bonus doesn't matter at all.. considering that he's by himself most of the time.

ah, but for 10 more points to spend on him.... stealthsuit anyone?
Old 06 Jan 2006, 23:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you use the mutable rules (yes I know you don't have to) you cannot field stealth suits since they carry Burst cannons. Oh, and the most expensive unit you can do for a team is 12 gun drones (max size by mutable rules), which only comes in at 144 points. So you don't even get to use the whole 160 points alloted. Kroot and Firewarriors (our only other units by the mutable laws) are even less.

The kill team rules in general are not very well balanced. Seriously, who in their right mind would use gun drone brute squads. Since they come in packs of 3 their LD is 4 and one shot makes them run virtually every time. Besides which, gun drones are far from the most effective units in this situation. There is simply no way that 15 marines or 27 termagaunts = 18 gun drones.

Am I wrong?

Closed Thread