Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Oddball Mech Tau Tactics and Stratagies (Tournament legal)
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jan 2006, 22:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Oddball Mech Tau Tactics and Stratagies (Tournament legal)

I enter in every tournament in my area, (Toronto) and i am entered in the Grand Tournamnet in May. I here am going to give a summary of how a mech tau player can blow the enemy out of the water, and paved my way to the GT.

First - How to modify the Devilfish for FoF.
I have often heard in this forum that 12 man squads don't work well in Mech armys becauce they can never get out the back in one turn. This is wrong. The devilfish can be modifyed as follows to help the 12 Shas out the back, but also to extend the front so that it makes it harder for any one to charge the warriors. First, remove the front wings, and the engine nubbs. Glue the nubbs to front, where the wings were. Put the engine on the nubbs, and glue the wings to the side of the engine beteween the vents. This extends the frontage so that it will take more than 6 inches to get over the side of the wing, saving them from CC.
This is Tournament legal as I have used it, and it has been apporved by GW Staff.

2 - Pathfinders In Close combat.

Ok, every Knows that tau suck at CC, so no one would expect this tactic, and I love to keep my enemy off his guard.
They have Pulse Carbines. Short Ranged assualt 1 weapons...hmm. So here it is.
1st move the Devil fish into position, rear exposed (I Know this sounds stupid, but it also serevs as a target for lascannons, lances ect. saveing the other stuff from that gun for the turn)

2nd with the Pathfinders out the back, fire with all 8 carbines, then final charge, this is 8 shots followed by 17 cc hits. The only down fall of this is the I 2, but this is not a true problem as +4 as will save them, possibly. This is a very unusal tactic will not work aginst the following races - Space Maines, Grey Knights, Sisterso of Battle, Necrons. This Tactic is good against Guard, Orks (if they were first peppered by oh say Stealth Suits) and if they are weakened, either eldar. This my not work well but will keep the other player off is guard for the rest of the game. Its effects are nearly are pchyological on the enemy player.

3 - Refused flank
This Tactic is when you nearly refuse an entire half of your deployment zone, and oly put a few cheap unit there, but make them look expensive! deck them out, the nwe etherals will work best for this ;D, the enemy would usualy look at this as a bad set up on your part and take advantage of this. advance your main force strught to ward his centre.

Let him crush half of your army on the refused flank, then break 75% of your main force away from their advance and hit the enemy on the refused flank in the rear if your lucky, but usually a flank hit. This can really mess up any tank, and their side armour will be exposed. From here use what every you want to destroy the enemy from here

Those are the 3 main winners for me, but I will add more tactics and Stratagies later.

The mothman
Old 05 Jan 2006, 23:23   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Oddball Mech Tau Tactics and Stratagies (Tournament legal)

Quote:
I have often heard in this forum that 12 man squads don't work well in Mech armys becauce they can never get out the back in one turn. This is wrong. The devilfish can be modifyed as follows to help the 12 Shas out the back, but also to extend the front so that it makes it harder for any one to charge the warriors. First, remove the front wings, and the engine nubbs. Glue the nubbs to front, where the wings were. Put the engine on the nubbs, and glue the wings to the side of the engine beteween the vents. This extends the frontage so that it will take more than 6 inches to get over the side of the wing, saving them from CC.
This is Tournament legal as I have used it, and it has been apporved by GW Staff.
lol. all i can say.

Quote:

2 - Pathfinders In Close combat.

Ok, every Knows that tau suck at CC, so no one would expect this tactic, and I love to keep my enemy off his guard.
They have Pulse Carbines. Short Ranged assualt 1 weapons...hmm. So here it is.
1st move the Devil fish into position, rear exposed (I Know this sounds stupid, but it also serevs as a target for lascannons, lances ect. saveing the other stuff from that gun for the turn)
2nd with the Pathfinders out the back, fire with all 8 carbines, then final charge, this is 8 shots followed by 17 cc hits. The only down fall of this is the I 2, but this is not a true problem as +4 as will save them, possibly. This is a very unusal tactic will not work aginst the following races - Space Maines, Grey Knights, Sisterso of Battle, Necrons. This Tactic is good against Guard, Orks (if they were first peppered by oh say Stealth Suits) and if they are weakened, either eldar. This my not work well but will keep the other player off is guard for the rest of the game. Its effects are nearly are pchyological on the enemy player.
so it doesnt work against 90% of tournament armies.....great.

Quote:
3 - Refused flank
This Tactic is when you nearly refuse an entire half of your deployment zone, and oly put a few cheap unit there, but make them look expensive! deck them out, the nwe etherals will work best for this ;D, the enemy would usualy look at this as a bad set up on your part and take advantage of this. advance your main force strught to ward his centre.

Let him crush half of your army on the refused flank, then break 75% of your main force away from their advance and hit the enemy on the refused flank in the rear if your lucky, but usually a flank hit. This can really mess up any tank, and their side armour will be exposed. From here use what every you want to destroy the enemy from here
pretty much standard tactics for any fast shooty army. it works a lot though...
Old 06 Jan 2006, 00:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mothman
Just because someone at GW didn't deem it as illegal it doesn't mean it is right... Where are we going with this? If we start rebuilding our tanks as to make them into more effective shields because of game-mechanics, wouldn't it lead to some kind of downward spiral. In the end we'll see people gluing pencils on their 'Fish and claim a 12" front from some extravagant "Sensor spines"... Not really judging you here, after all it is legal. Just that it feels wrong.
Old 06 Jan 2006, 00:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

there was a discussion on Dakka about the Dark Eldar tactica article in USWD 309- whether or not crashed Raiders blocked LoS.

As only the model itself is used to judge what can and can't be seen, a DE player could "convert" their Raider by sticking a large piece of card in the middle of it lengthways, so that if it crashed side-on it would block LoS.
Legal, but unfair.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 06 Jan 2006, 00:34   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

OK, I don't think it's in the "spirit of the game", so I won't win a GT. But than again I seriously doubt I would regardless of the amount of cardboard on my 'fish ;D
Old 06 Jan 2006, 00:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

I guess that modifying the Devilfish is a little cheap... and the second tactic is basicly only to throw your enemy off balance, and 3 isnt that oddball, but it can be in some of my variants.

It is hard to give tactics because the situation might never arrive, and it might not work agaist all races, orit is considered to be unsports man like, but these are my 3 main tactics (Some times i just move the engines up to give the extra space but the modifiyed is best. )

The mothman
Old 06 Jan 2006, 03:41   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
2nd with the Pathfinders out the back, fire with all 8 carbines, then final charge, this is 8 shots followed by 17 cc hits.
Umm... only works if you deploy the PF after the move in turn 1. As a closed-top vehicle without a ramp, they cannot deploy and charge in the same turn. Units with an enclosed transport can load and move, unload and move, or move and unload. But without a ramp, they can't move, unload and assault. Currently, the only closed-top vehicle in the game with a ramp belongs to the SMurfs.

This forces one of the following drawbacks. Either A) There's something already in range for you to assault at the end of turn 1 when you offload, in which case they'll charge you. Or B) it moves up to be in assault range during your opponent's phase, in which case your PFs are probably going to eat rapidfire shots from an opponent with a BS of 4. Neither one is something we might call preferable.

And then there's the consideration that you just denied yourself the use of Markerlights for two turns, minimum, assuming they survive CC. I won't comment on the odds of the latter because I've had 2 Crisis Suits do a Sweeping Advance on my friend's Banshees and wipe them out because of it. Still, it's a longshot.

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on anything but your third suggestion.

-Sightline

Old 06 Jan 2006, 06:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Here's a tactic:

Often you will find the terrain you have to use in a tourny is not what you expected, either too hilly, not enough terrain, etc. Well, there's nothing stopping you from having your hammerheads positioned so that if they do crash, they can be useful.

I had a game against thousand sons, there was a loot counter with absolutely no terrain around it. I positioned my hammerhead close to it, moving it only about 7" each turn side to side. It was destroyed in my opponent's turn 5 (by a lone AC with a powerfist).

I was able to move a unit of kroot so they could use that hammerhead wreck to stay out of LOS of the mobile bolters, while moving towards the objective in the last 2 turns.
Old 06 Jan 2006, 21:01   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

How are you assaulting the turn you disembark from the devilfish with your pathfinders. I thought only models disembarking from open topped vehicles can assault on the turn they get out.
Old 06 Jan 2006, 21:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPlaysTau
How are you assaulting the turn you disembark from the devilfish with your pathfinders. I thought only models disembarking from open topped vehicles can assault on the turn they get out.
Yes that is correct. So the Pathfinders would have to move in the Devilfish, unload; then wait until next turn, then move and charge in.
Closed Thread