Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with starting a Tau army (Forge World Commander question)
Closed Thread
Old 05 Jan 2006, 00:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Help with starting a Tau army (Forge World Commander question)

Hi
can i please have some help deciding on what type of battlesuit to buy as my army commander

I would like to buy one of these models that are from forgeworld
This is a link to the battlesuit part of the forgewrold site
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog...TTLESUITS.html
Old 05 Jan 2006, 00:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Re: Im starting a tau army can i have help please

Hello, and welcome to Tau Online

IMO dont get forge would buddy, it is too expensive is only helpful fluff wise.

A Shas'O with Fusion blaster, and plasma rilfe with multi tracker, and hw black sun filture.
But the etheral is best

Hope you pick whats right for yo my friend

The mothman
Old 05 Jan 2006, 01:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Technically you may only have an standard XV-8 battlesuit as a commander and the forgeworld ones are by permission only unless you just want it to look really cool. I like the SMS battle suit from FW but you really need a regular crisis outfitted how ever you want.

When children goto bed they check their bedrooms for the boogie man. When the boogie man goes to bed he checks his bedroom for Chuck Norris
Old 05 Jan 2006, 02:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Depends on the weapons config. The XV89 would be the best one IMO, as the you need Imperial Armour to be able to use the other ones, or find an equivalent for them in the standard ruleset.

For starting Tau, and XV8 Configs - we have plenty of threads here, see the 'Important Topics' Sticky (here is the cut down version with the relevant links):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay
[size=12pt]Important Topics[/size]
[size=12pt]Introduction Threads:[/size]
(Click here to Read) :: Mech Tau Army Construction Basics :: [size=7pt]"How do I start Mech Tau?"[/size]
(Click here to Read) :: Starting a Tau Army :: [size=7pt]"What's the best way to start Tau, what do I need?"[/size]
[size=12pt]Tactics Threads:[/size]
(Click here to Read) :: XV8 Battlesuit Configs/Tactics :: [size=7pt]"How can I setup some of my Crisis Suits and use them?"[/size]
(Click here to Read) :: XV8 Commanders :: [size=7pt]"How can I configure my Commander?"[/size]
(Click here to Read) :: XV8 Decisions - Part 1 :: [size=7pt]"I can't decide how I should equip my Crisis Suits."[/size]
(Click here to Read) :: XV8 Decisions - Part 2 :: [size=7pt]"I can't decide how I should equip my Crisis Suits. Part 2"[/size]

[size=12pt]Conversion Threads[/size]
(Click here to Read) :: Modular Tanks: Tau Devilfish/Hammerhead :: [size=7pt]"I heard you can use magnets to swap parts between Devilfish and Hammerheads."[/size]
(Click here to Read) :: Magnets on Crisis Suits :: [size=7pt]"How can I use magnets to make my weapons swappable on my Crisis Suit?"[/size]
[size=12pt]Miscellaneous Threads[/size]
(Click here to Read) :: Refined XV8 Naming Scheme :: [size=7pt]"How do I name Crisis configurations? What are the names?"[/size]
[size=12pt]Links[/size]
(Click here to Read) :: Mech Tau Tactica :: [size=7pt]"What is the Tau Mecha Bible? Where is it?"[/size]
I'm unsure how exactly the weapons attach for the Forgeworld ones, but if possible, don't glue them in so that you're not locked into one config (so you can switch weapon configs between army lists etc).
Old 05 Jan 2006, 05:44   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Help with starting a Tau army (Forge World Commander question)

Welcome to the forums!

The weapons in the Forge World suits are actually much easier to make modular than those found on the regular GW plastic suits. The Forge World weapons attach to the front of the gauntlets rather than the outside of their arms, and are easily converted to use either magnets or pins. Let me know if you need instructions on how to do this.

As far as the Forge World suits go, my recommendation is the XV89. The other two (and the special character) have systems that can not be used under by Crisis suits under the normal Tau rules (SMS and markerlight) or are impractical on a commander (twin-linked plasma rifle and no second weapon). The extra-armored one can be used to represent an armor upgrade that we are rumoured to be getting in the upcoming update (Iridium Armour?).
Old 05 Jan 2006, 15:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Yes the XV89 can be used to represent a just cool looking commander, the rules are not necessary. I like the model for Shas'O Ry'myr but some work would be needed to get rid of that twin plasma rifle as I prefere a helios commander myself. Thats just my take on the Forgeworld commanders though. You can use the SMS armed one to represent a deathrain commander aswell though I cant think of a use for the markerlight suite.

Old 05 Jan 2006, 16:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What about converting the plastic broadside railguns to be underslung arm-mounted like the Forge World one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 05 Jan 2006, 16:24   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Ditto with khanaris and vash. The Xv 89 is the only good-looking one. Besides, the suit is designed to be a commander's suit fluffwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 16:39   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXX
What about converting the plastic broadside railguns to be underslung arm-mounted like the Forge World one?
I have done that on two of my suits, but the Broadside's railguns are metal, so you will probably need to pin them to keep them from falling off all the time. Aside from that, the trick is making them look stable. You also need to do a little work to make a SMS in this case, since the SMS arms are also metal.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 17:02   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Also we are supposed to get a new commander boxed set, so I would hold off if possible and see if it provides some decent options in it for different parts.

Although in the end I see myself getting the XV 89 and making modifications to it for my commander.

I do have 2 of the new XV-88's and they are wonderful models.
Closed Thread