Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlighting an obscured target
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jan 2006, 23:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Markerlighting an obscured target

Question: If I markerlight a vehicle that would normally be considered an obscured target and then hit it with a railgun, does it still get its obscured target advantage, or does it lose it because of the markerlight? the reason i ask this is because markerlights remove cover saves. and the way i see it, an obscured target is basically a "cover save" for a vehicle. has anyone seen anything like this situation in the FAQ, or maybe some real battle experience, perhaps? Thanks.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 00:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Markerlighting an obscured target

Doubt it. The markerlight FAQ entry is specific about cover saves, but as it doesn't say anything about obscured targets, I doubt it would remove it - as Obscured target is basically that the target is only partially visible around a corner etc..
Old 05 Jan 2006, 00:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A good rule of thumb in this game is "If it doesn't say you can, then you can't."

In this case, the markerlight only affects cover saves. Since obscured targets aren't treated as cover saves (they aren't called it, and don't really work the same, as a cover save negates the hit entirely) the markerlight doesn't affect them.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 13:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauplayer
A good rule of thumb in this game is "If it doesn't say you can, then you can't."

In this case, the markerlight only affects cover saves. Since obscured targets aren't treated as cover saves (they aren't called it, and don't really work the same, as a cover save negates the hit entirely) the markerlight doesn't affect them.
I would have to agree here. Obscured Targets are completly different rules than cover saves. It would be safe to say that the markerlight would have no affect/special rule against it.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 16:41   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

This happens to me quite a bit. I normally allow my opponent to make the obscured rule, especially since the hull-down rules are already a lot weaker in 4th edition than they were previously.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 17:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Although the target may be obscured to the pathfinders/marker light it may not be obscured to the unit doing the actual firing, be it a seeker or broadside or what have you.

Also the target is hit from the direction of the firing unit, not from the direction of the pathfinders. So if the pathfinders are marking the front armor of a chimera and a seeker missile is fired from the side of the chimera, the hit is resolved using the side armor value of 10 for the chimera.

I don't know if that changes at all how you view things, it was kind of a question for me until recently.
Just so you understand where Iím coming from; I am not a tournament player. However I play at least twice a week, and for the past 2 months my average is more like 3.75 games per week. Although Iíve only been at it for a year, I work hard to know the rules well and to keep abreast of tactical developments within the hobby. 40k is the latest incarnation of a lifelong interest in tactical games such as chess and OGRE/GEV.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 18:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Tau Codex actually states That "targets may count the benefits of cover they are in or behind." works for me. Although I wonder if how this would effect Tetra's with their disruption pod?Hmmm.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 19:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmonkey
Tau Codex actually states That "targets may count the benefits of cover they are in or behind." works for me. Although I wonder if how this would effect Tetra's with their disruption pod?Hmmm.
The problem in this instance is that the tau FAQ states that a cover save is negated as a result of a markerlight (for the weapon that is guided by it that is), which kinda goes against what the codex states.

I still say that the obscured target gets to make their roll, as most seem to agree, but I wouldn't go using this particular quote from the rulebook as evidence of it.
Closed Thread