Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau revamp , why Tau?, and do they need it?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jan 2006, 15:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau revamp , why Tau?, and do they need it?

hey one and all, tauluvinhobo here
i just got a few friendly questions for you all, all comments welcome

1) does anyone know why tau are getting a revamp when armies like orks, eldar and d.eldar are in such serious need of repair, thnx in advance

2) Do tau actually need a revamp? they are a new enough army (by 40k standards) , and they are really good as they are (if you know how to use them). I'm not complaining I just think tau are good enough the way they are
( str 5 bs 3 ain't bad at all, they even have the kroot for cc), i just think they shouldn't be at the top of the list right now

thnx for your replies in advance

tauluvinhobo :-*

the time for tau is now
Old 04 Jan 2006, 15:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau revamp , why Tau?, and do they need it?

welcome to TO.

I would say that the reason is economic. GW makes more money off of Tau than any one of the others, so a revamp will cause the Tau players to reinvest in suits and such.

No Tau do not need a revamp IMO.

I agree. If any models need a revamp, it is DE. They are by far the ugliest and less desirable models on the table. They don't look mean or evil, they look like masochist. Just IMO.

Wanax

Old 04 Jan 2006, 15:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default yea

yea i agree

DE models look horrible and not only that but there fighting capabilities are generations behind, the three armies i see getting slaughtered the most are Eldar, DE, and orks. not because of the generals but because there capabilities are way behind. fair balls to the eldar though they are really holding there own on the battlefield even with there obvious disadvantage of not getting a revamp

the time for tau is now
Old 04 Jan 2006, 16:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

The Tau are getting a revamp beacuse they're easy.
There isn't really much wrong with them, most of the changes will probably be related to some of the new/alternate unit types they're releasing. So by spending a (relativley) small amount of timem getting the Tau out there it gives them another up to date Codex.

The Orcs, Eldar, and Dark Eldar are going to need almost a complete overhaul. They'll have to be rebuilt from the ground up, with potential for their basic units have profile or weapon changes. For example, the shuriken catapault being used by an eldar guardian really doesn't have any advantage in 4th ed 40k.
Also the model ranges for those other armies are in many cases 7-10 years old, or more, so they'll have to sculpt and produce a lot of new models, a very time consuming process.

Yes these armies very seriously need updating, and they will get it, however in the meantime there's nothing wrong with a Tau update.

The real sleazy thing was the Black Templars codex, they certainly were NOT in despreate need of an update, GW released them soley to sell a bunch of models in the holiday season. But they are a business so you can't bedgrudge them to much for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 04 Jan 2006, 16:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Never heard a truer word

well while were on the topics of new models do you know which tau models they are changing and of any new ones besides the vespids

thnx in advance

the time for tau is now
Old 04 Jan 2006, 19:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

To be honest, I believe the new Tau codex will have more of an impact in the path taken by the Empire across the rest of the 40k-universe system of games through the new fluff introduced, rather than directly into 40k itself. (Which, by the way, is where the bulk of new background material and unit generation has come for the Empire in the gap between the first Codex and this new one)

Both in Battlefleet Gothic and Epic, Tau lists are being developed (the Tau list for Epic Armageddon, as well as the Commerce Protection Fleet list for the resin starships) and the Epic group for one will be watching for any necessary/useful/restrictive changes made - as well as whether the fluff regarding the Third Sphere Expansion invalidates or reinforces the material generated in Epic and BFG for the Empire's development.

In BFG, the effect will be mostly fluff-related, as it's possible - though unlikely, I would guess - that the kind of fluff being worked out for the Kor'vattra (Tau space fleet) post-Damocles will need to be made to accomodate what we already have in progress.

If the Studio have incorporated (or at least acknowledged) the effort and creative input of the BFG and Epic Tau community with the fluff in the new Codex, we'll be very happy bunnies - but I fear that some in the Studio may not only rubbish the material we have developed, but may do it with an evil grin on their faces...

I hope I'm mistaken in that regard, however!

Plus, it'll be interesting to see how - or if - the T'ros Campaign is mentioned.

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Old 04 Jan 2006, 21:04   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Apparently there will be some sneak-peaks in WD 313, so if you manage to hold on to your sanity until then you might get some answears.
Old 04 Jan 2006, 21:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

a lot of the reasons that i have have already been stated
-but yes, the tau are one of the company's newer armies that is picked up not only by GW gamers, but people that have nothing to do with games and wish to have just "nice" models. anyway, these figs are US only, the list of moneymakers are as follows- SM, SM subs like Inquisitors and retinues, with Necrons Tau and Nids running almost simo with one another. this would be, in terms of assumption, the reason why these armies have just recently been revamped.

as for gaming reasons- the tau were never really finished with many unanswered questions regarding rules (drones, tank/skimmer) and a lack of varience in the armies (troop,mech,breakaway) and a lack of specialization for elites and HQ which all other armies have. now with the new codex all of these problems, which the necrons caused with their own release, with be fixed.
~good hunting
Old 04 Jan 2006, 23:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

- Tau are apparently the 3rd highest selling army here in Oz.

- The Tau update is a quick and easy one as stated. All the need are a few rule fixes (drones and krootox), and whilst they're at it, they might as well throw in some new models.

- Eldar and Orks are on their way, but they are going to take ages, basically needing a complete revamp of their model ranges AND their codex. That takes time, and a lot of it.

- GW are a company. If they were to dedicate all their resources towards updating the Eldar and Orks codex, they'll appear to be idling for a while, with a lack of releases etc over a period of probably half a year. Doesn't look too good to their investors. So they have other thing's that they're working on to 'fill in the gaps' - namely something easy like the Tau Codex - so that they're pretty much releasing new models every month, and an update codex once in a while (from at least main one game system).

We have a Rumour Summary here - http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=15647.0 - going through what is changing and what isn't.
Old 05 Jan 2006, 01:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

From my understanding of it, GW isnt working on one codex at a time, but they are working on all the codexes [codices?] and models at the same time, and the pics of new eldar ranger models supports that. Tau were early on the list because, as other people said, it wasnt a major overhaul. For the most part, the mechanics of 4th didnt change rules that any Tau unit was based on, like what happened to orks with the Grots, whose soul purpose was to screen for slugga boys or with eldar and the Avatar, which based on the new monstorous creatures rules can always be shot at. Tau also, since their release, have sold pretty well, especially to knewer players. Tau can be a very effective army if you play them correctly. I expect GW gave the Tau a bit more versatility with the Codex: Tau Empire, making it easier for these new players to adapt.
Closed Thread