Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Recommendation
Closed Thread
Old 31 Dec 2005, 21:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Recommendation

I have just started my first warhammer 40k army. Thanks to inspiration from this sight and the awseome Tau models i have decided to weild my arms for the greater good. From what i have seen in tactica i am trying to go for a mechanized army. ATM i have a fire warrior squad, a devilfish, and an etheral. I was thinken about another FW squad then some crisis suits but what do you think? My two friends that play have elder and space marine armies. Is there any unit in particular i can use to mess one of them up* >? TY for any input.

Old 31 Dec 2005, 22:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Recomendation

Welcome to TO! Have you read the content on the main web-site about starting a tau army? Here is a link to the page with the relevant articles:

http://www.tauonline.org/starting.php

I would recommend just finishing the models that you already have before getting any more. Also, don't buy a codex until the new one comes out (sometime in early 2006, check out the rumors board).

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/-Rt3r
My two friends that play have elder and space marine armies. Is there any unit in particular i can use to mess one of them up* >?
At the moment, the best thing we have for taking out marines would probably be a helios suit (plasma, fusion, multi). From the looks of things though, we are getting some very powerful new units that will be extremely useful to this end (vespids and sniper drones look like the best).

As for the pointy heads, I would recommend plenty of pulse fire and some hammerheads armed with rail guns. Tau VS eldar always makes for an interesting match, as the two armies are both typically fast and shooty (although eldar can be made to be more assault oriented). Watch out for dark reapers, which will eat through most of your units at a freighting rate. Be sure to bring some kroot, as they are often very effective against some of the aspect warriors (the shooty ones at least).

Remember that tau are not a very straight forward army; it will take a few games to get the hang of it. Just stick with and be sure to of your research first. A good place to start that would be the tau important topics, which can be found on the main tau board (just click the back button).
Old 31 Dec 2005, 22:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think it would be better to go with a shaso as your HQ.* They take more wounds, and are more effective in my opinion, if given the right weapons. . Welcome to the forums!
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 00:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Shas'El's are usually good enough.. For fluff reasons, I wouldn't take Shas'O's until the game is at or more than 1500 points.

If you haven't already, have a look at the tactica in the Important Topics sticky - More specifically, the 'Know Your Self' and 'Know Your Enemy' threads. Next up, have a look at the XV8 threads, the first XV8 thread listed there takes a look at what to take against each army - though keep in mind that has normal elite slot crisis suits in mind, thus the twin linking. The next thread there looks at equipping commanders. The most important thing to remember - is not to glue in any weapons - so you can just swap them etc instead of 'locking yourself in' to one config (the weapons can be snugly press-fitted into place once painted).

Another thread for Eldar - http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=2908.0 - 42's Guide to Eldar Slaying.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 05:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Recommendation

Thanks. I just saw the Starting Mech Tau article right after i posted so *doh*. As for finishing the models i already have i have learned my lesson on that. I get so sidetracked nothing gets finished. I got the etheral cause i didnt have any $ to spend on a shas'el. For the crisis configs, i have been looking into the wonderful articles yall got about magnet conversion and i definantly will be trying that.
-Peace

Old 01 Jan 2006, 09:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

dont bother tailoring your army to deal with one specific enemy, because then it will fall down against another.

you want mech? 3 hammerheads. 2 FW squads in devilfish. a few crisis suits (with at least one with tl missile pods). maybe some kroot. there's your army.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 01 Jan 2006, 20:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Heh.

Nice to see you. Click on the "Mech Tau" part of my sig to see our bible. It will answer life's questions...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 02 Jan 2006, 00:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Heh.

Nice to see you. Click on the "Mech Tau" part of my sig to see our bible. It will answer life's questions...
Speacking of the bible, I love it. I consult it before i do anything. Does any1 know who wrote it? And will they update with the new Dex?

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Old 02 Jan 2006, 05:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfreak
Quote:
Heh.

Speacking of the bible, I love it.* I consult it before i do anything.* Does any1 know who wrote it?* And will they update with the new Dex?
It was written by several people, particular tonka and a someone named "spooky", who either does not know about this forum or visits it under a different name. As for new updates, I am told that the bible will actually be moving to mechtau.X so I doubt that any more content will be submitted to the current one :'(
Old 02 Jan 2006, 14:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Mavfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vilest_worm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfreak
Quote:
Heh.

Speacking of the bible, I love it.* I consult it before i do anything.* Does any1 know who wrote it?* And will they update with the new Dex?
It was written by several people, particular tonka and a someone named "spooky", who either does not know about this forum or visits it under a different name. As for new updates, I am told that the bible will actually be moving to mechtau.X so I doubt that any more content will be submitted to the current one* :'(
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, whats MechtauX?

And Mav is the probably the smartest one of us, so it makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
My advice is simply walk through life and see what happens, and remember the one thing most of my yearbook from this year is filled with...

"Sex can wait, masturbate"
Closed Thread