Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Similar Weapons Costing Differently
Closed Thread
Old 31 Dec 2005, 20:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Similar Weapons Costing Differently

Many Tau and Imperial/Marine weapons are very similar except for 1 different number or something similar change in their stats, but are priced differently.

The Plasma Rifle is S6 AP2. The Plasmagun is S7 AP2. The strength 7 would make the Plasmagun a good weapon to use, especially against SMurf bikers and Rhinos. However, the Plasmagun costs only 10 points and the Plasma Rifle costs 16 points, and it is increasing with the new codex. : Why price these two similar weapons so differently? Even with the Gets Hot rule, you still get a save. If I could, I'd rather have a Plasmagun on my Crisis Battlesuit than a Plasma Rifle not only for the strength, but the cheap cost.

The Missile Pod and the Autocannon are similar in almost every way, except in range and weapon type. The Missile Pod you can move in shoot with, making it a great weapon, while the Autocannon is stationary. Thqt would make it better to many, even if the Autocannon has an impressive 48'' range. Why wouldn't they be the same price? Instead, Missile Pods are 14 points and Autocannons 15, and sometimes even 20 (in case of Imperial Guard fire support squads), points.

The Melta Gun and Fusion Blaster are the EXACT same thing, except for the name. With that in mind, why does the Melta Gun cost 10 points and the Fusion Blaster 12 points?

Is it with the armies themselves using the weapons in different ways that makes the weapons cost differently, or is it something else? Because this really baffles me.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 20:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Similar Weapons Costing Differently

It's likely because the units themselves can make more efficient use of the weapons.

Crisis suits can move and shoot plasma at maximum range, or rapid fire if close enough. They're tougher units, they can move in the assault, etc. Any weapon they get will cost more for them than it would for a guardsman, because the guardsman can put the gun to as good use as the crisis can.

That's how I rationalize it anyway
Old 31 Dec 2005, 20:24   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

In terms of the Fusion Blaster vs the Melta Gun I share your confusion comrade.

However I can see some justification with the Autocannon vs Missile Pod cost system....

Missile Pods are a heck of alot rarer the autocannons given that they can only be mounted on XV Battlesuits, whereas let's say a SM player can saturate the field with them if they so desired given that every marine squad can take at least on and devastator squad can load up. *Additonally those using the Autocannons all have BS 4, where are the Missile Pod equiped shas are using BS 3 ( for the most part ). *
Those autocannons will be hitting more often and have the potential to be alot more common I think GW (in ther infinite wisdom) up the AC point cost to balance them given the army using them.

Although the IG weapons teams costing 20 pts...that's something worth noting. *I am not terribly familiar with the IG Codex but perhaps the high cost has something to do on where they fit on the force organization chart.

The plasma debate is could be summed up as a safety issue perhaps. *IMO the Tau have the techological capacity to make their plasma projection weapons just as powerful as the Imperial equilvalent, however they like the imperium have not mastered keeping those higher energies safely contained. *The Tau simply dull down the power of their own plasma for the sake of their soldiers, as the Tau are not as keen on wasting manpower as the Imperium. *That's my take at any rate.

Cheers comrade
Old 31 Dec 2005, 23:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauplayer
It's likely because the units themselves can make more efficient use of the weapons.

Crisis suits can move and shoot plasma at maximum range, or rapid fire if close enough.* They're tougher units, they can move in the assault, etc.* Any weapon they get will cost more for them than it would for a guardsman, because the guardsman can put the gun to as good use as the crisis can.
as far as I know, this is the reason.
EDIT: although sometimes it seems you're paying twice- once for the model with more skills, then again for a weapon the can be used more efficiently...

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 01 Jan 2006, 01:15   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

This is also why the exact same weapon in the hands of a Devastator squad costs more than it does in a tactical squad. THe cost of a weapon is some function of its own statistics and those of the models on which it may be equipped.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 01:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau

this may sound stupid but wouldn't they differ in points due to the actual weapons manufacture, i mean think about it making a plasma rifle is one thing but imagine the amount of work and materials to fit it on to a suit, it may not make sense to some but the reasons points differ in weapons and units is due slightly to fluff, i mean imperial guard troops are so cheap because in the 40k fluff there are legion upon legion of em' same with some nids too.plus if all the prices/weapons were identical the game would suck! (bit drunk so sorry if this is utter s**t.)
Old 01 Jan 2006, 04:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Read Codex: Not Marines.

I'm secure in my belief that GW just loves Space Marines. Creating a balanced army that just happens to be able to shpoon smurfs meant they had to show their bias in more... subtle ways.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 01 Jan 2006, 05:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

GW makes balanced rules for good game play. That's why they keep making new editions. The fluff they make merely supports it. And all armies eventually will balance out. A few editions ago, orks were a joke army, and now necrons have problems themselves, as do the eldar (some say). This is a strategy hobby game, however, and the way to win should be to know your army's strengths and weaknesses rather than just picking out the best army.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 09:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

its simple: you pay the price for the weapon based on its worth in YOUR army, so you can't compare the weapons in different armies.

we pay 10pts for a fire warrior. if the imperial guard had access to troops with carapace armour and a str5 gun, they'd pay 12-13 pts for them.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 02 Jan 2006, 11:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
its simple: you pay the price for the weapon based on its worth in YOUR army, so you can't compare the weapons in different armies.

we pay 10pts for a fire warrior. if the imperial guard had access to troops with carapace armour and a str5 gun, they'd pay 12-13 pts for them.
Thank you. It's always funny to see people ask these questions. It doesn't take long to figure out that the TAU PLASMA RIFLE HAS A LOT MORE MOBILITY AND OPTIONS IN REGARDS TO THE IMPERIAL GUARD ONE.

Quick Behemoth! Name some imperial units that can move and fire their plasma 24 inches, and then move back. Yeah.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Closed Thread