Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

smart missiles or burst cannon? ... or both?
View Poll Results: does SMS have unlimited ammo?
yes 4 80.00%
no 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 31 Dec 2005, 15:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default smart missiles or burst cannon? ... or both?

Which one do you consider better on the hammerhead the smart missile system (limited ammo longer range ignore terrain) or burst cannons (unlimited ammo assult weapon and shorter range) or is there some way to put magnets to affix one or the other? ???
Old 31 Dec 2005, 15:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: smart missiles or burst cannon? ... or both?

Hey there, welcome to Tau Online - but there are a few things you should know:

Mainly, read the Forum Rules if you havn't already - there are many other topics on this subject that you could read to get an answer from.

Also, I think you need to reread the rules (of 40k), namely:

Quote:
smart missile system (limited ammo longer range ignore terrain) or burst cannons (unlimited ammo assult weapon and shorter range)
The SMS does not have a limited ammo capacity - where did you get that idea? And on a vehicle, you can move and fire with heavy weapons... so with either the BC or SMS you have no lack of maneverability.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 15:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

??? limited ammo? the SMS gets to shoot just as much as the bursts, do.

I think maybe youre mixing up SMS and Seeker missiles... seeker missiles are buy one, shoot once.. SMS are shoot all day, 4 dice each shot.

since it sounds like youre just getting into this, I'll clarify that the SMS is a dual pod system, meaning that, even though there will be a missile pod hanging off of each weapon cradle, thats still just one SMS.. meaning its 4 dice, not 8.... burst cannons, on the other hand, when hanging from each weapon cradle, are seperate weapons.. meaning 6 dice.

and no, you cant mix and match or double upgrade (MAN that would be a nasty tank, though!)
Old 31 Dec 2005, 22:11   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban
??? limited ammo? the SMS gets to shoot just as much as the bursts, do.
the store owner at the store i play at says that smart missles have limited ammo, i'lle bring this topic up with him, but which do you consider better? and by both I meant being able to switch them by using magnets, i just can't get the magnets in the right spot!! >
Old 31 Dec 2005, 22:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

It depends where you play. If you play in big open terrain, and your opponent has alot of infantry, then the burst cannons might be better for you. If you play in a city, with lots of cover and crap then the SMS is best.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 22:20   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

so do you think SMS has unlimited ammo?
Old 31 Dec 2005, 22:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

No weapons have limited ammo, they can all shoot every turn, unless the rules say they cant, due to being destroyed, or the vehicle they were on moved too far, etc.* They cant shoot forever in one turn though, they shoot however many times in one turn as it says they can in the codex.* Understand?
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 22:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

whoever told you any weapon in WH40K has limited shots is wrong wrong wrong! and he either doesnt know what hes talking about, or is trying to abuse your newbieishness for their own personal gain.... the only things I recall having any kind of limited uses are Seeker Missiles, Hunter/Killer Missiles, and Orbital Bombardments... you know stuff like that, and theyre all not limited shot, but ONE shot. same with Combi Bolters, and Kustum Shootas, the special gun gets to shoot only once.

now, to change a SMS to a Burst is pretty easy: since you dont gue the pivot pins anyway, its as simple as prying the two legs apart enough for the weapon to be removed, and then pop the other on in the same place.
Old 31 Dec 2005, 22:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The store keeper got SMS mixed up with Seeker Missiles. easy mistake. However, with the HH, i'd advise both bc's and seeker missiles, if you can afford it. A seeker missile here and there isn't bad - especially against annoying bosses.
Old 01 Jan 2006, 00:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

See the modular tanks thread in my signature for how to attach them (you don't need magnets or anything!)

I take it you have read the codex? and the rulebook? No weapon has limited ammo, regardless of how many shots they have compared to how many missiles etc they have on the actual model.

To clarify, you can choose one or the other as a secondary weapon system - that is, either the SMS (both pods count as ONE system) or the TWO Burst Cannons (that is, two separate burst cannons).

Seeker Missiles on the other hand, are vehicle upgrades, that are One Shot - so that's maybe where the confusion with limited ammo etc comes in.

And I think we've answered the poll already.. (oops, meant to press yes, not no before lock :\)