Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

firewarrior question
Closed Thread
Old 30 Dec 2005, 13:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default firewarrior question

can some one tell me the best amount of firewarriors to stick in a devilfish and give an explanation
"they got ded big shooty guns dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz,coz you anit gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough ta crump em"

warlord skarmork the great despolier
Old 30 Dec 2005, 13:13   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: firewarrior question

10 is the magic number. This is because it stills offers a good firebase while also being not cumbersome to load and unload..12 is too much and cumbersome if you intend to put them in a Devilfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 13:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

but i dont really care about being to big i just want the statiscicly best amount (which might be 10 i dont know so..) :-\ :-\
"they got ded big shooty guns dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz,coz you anit gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough ta crump em"

warlord skarmork the great despolier
Old 30 Dec 2005, 13:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattz
but i dont really care about* being to big i just want the statiscicly best amount (which might be 10 i dont know so..) :-\ :-\
Look forget statistics those dont matter if you cannot unload them all safely out the back of the Devilfish. 12 you just really cannot do that and so you get cought and killed in assault. Mobile Firewarriors should either just stay put inside or be performing selective offencives like the FoF and those are difficult when you cannot get them all out the back door. 10 is the best number to mount in a devilfish. Anymore than that and you cant get them all safely out and any less and your a bit undergunned.

Old 30 Dec 2005, 14:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

He might be right for FoF but if you're not wasting your time doing FoF you should always maximize all of your troop choices. Not only is it a lot of fun to outnumber your opponent, usually by a lot, it helps to have as many shots possible.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 14:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I tend to stick to 10 a squad, and keep them all with a 'Fish, mainly because I try to keep the numbers sane for myself, but also because taking any less than 10 is risky, due to morale tests and such.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 15:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattz
but i dont really care about* being to big i just want the statiscicly best amount (which might be 10 i dont know so..) :-\ :-\
Look forget statistics those dont matter if you cannot unload them all safely out the back of the Devilfish. 12 you just really cannot do that and so you get cought and killed in assault. Mobile Firewarriors should either just stay put inside or be performing selective offencives like the FoF and those are difficult when you cannot get them all out the back door. 10 is the best number to mount in a devilfish. Anymore than that and you cant get them all safely out and any less and your a bit undergunned.
Don't stick them out the back door. You can still do a FoF if you turn teh DF sideways. It gives you mor eroom to work with, especially if the drones have been deployed. You can stick FWs in thse areas, plus under the engine if they are crouching. You can easily fit 12. Just turn it to the side.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris

Don't stick them out the back door. You can still do a FoF if you turn teh DF sideways. It gives you mor eroom to work with, especially if the drones have been deployed. You can stick FWs in thse areas, plus under the engine if they are crouching. You can easily fit 12. Just turn it to the side.
I don't think you can do this. You cannot move a squad into/through the space occupied by another model. Wouldn't the tau below the engine be considered to be in the same space as the engine itself?
Old 30 Dec 2005, 16:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauplayer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris

Don't stick them out the back door. You can still do a FoF if you turn the DF sideways. It gives you mor eroom to work with, especially if the drones have been deployed. You can stick FWs in thse areas, plus under the engine if they are crouching. You can easily fit 12. Just turn it to the side.
I don't think you can do this.* You cannot move a squad into/through the space occupied by another model.* Wouldn't the tau below the engine be considered to be in the same space as the engine itself?
I believe the rules state that as long as they are within 2" of the doors, and in unit coherency, it's valid deployment. They can be touching a vehicle, and that's how I would classify the engine in this case.

The engine isn't taking up space so much as over hanging it. Same idea if you were to move models under the railgun of a Hammerhead or battlecannon of a Leeman Russ - they doesn't interfere with model movement and they were placed up there to allow easier troop movement around the vehicles and cause less interference (both for and against them).

Of course, that's only my 2 cents worth! It's interesting that at the moment - Tau are the only ones with this issue. All other skimmers and troop carriers don't have the complicated silhouette of the Devilfish.

"It's not my tactics that are bad, just my dice rolling..."
Old 30 Dec 2005, 17:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Actually you make a very good point about the railgun. You can't expect that one part of the vehicle can have people under it but others can't.
Closed Thread