Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help! Next step of my army..
Closed Thread
Old 29 Dec 2005, 08:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Help! Next step of my army..

Hey everybody!

I am having trouble making a choice what to get next for my army. I have an army of around 2400 points in total I think. Here's what I have:

HQ:
* Shas'vre - Plasma, FB, MT with Bodyguard (same features as shas'vre)
* Aun'shi

Heavy:
* Hammerhead Rail gun (decoy, MT, TL, seekers, burst cannons)
* Hammerhead Ion cannon (decoy, MT, TL, seekers, missile pods)
* 3 Broadsides (missile pods, TL, drone controller) + 2 shield drones
* 2 Heavy drones

Elite:
* 6 Stealths (markerlight) + 5 Gun drones
* 3 Crisis suits (each Twinlinked plasma, TL, drone controller) + 2 Gun drones

Fast:
* Devilfish (decoy, mt, seekers) + 3 pathfinders (carbines)
* 3 Pathfinders (rail rifles each)
* 5 Gun drones

Troops:
* 2 Firewarrior squads of 12, 2 squads of 6 (each shas'ui has markerlight)
* Kroot squad of 16 + Shaper

Okay so that's my army. I know it's a lot, but I just want to have more options in my army and it's not a matter of points now. As I stated, I'm not sure what to get next. I was thinking of getting another hammerhead to increase my firepower, as I am mostly fighting off marines. Another Devilfish is tempting too. Also appealing is getting human auxiliries and maybe adding a basilisk to my army. choices, choices.. What should I do guys!?
Old 29 Dec 2005, 10:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Help! Next step of my army..

I would get some devilfishes for the fire warrior squads, to mech' them up. But that's just me. Your heavy support is pretty much filled up, IMO it's good how it is now (2 Hammerheads + 3 Broadsides), so not much need for another hammerhead. Compared to the rest of the army, the Troops choices look a bit light (perhaps another Fire warrior squad?). Other options for expanding - Another Crisis Suit (or two, or three).

Otherwise I would just wait till the new codex and the new models.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 10:19   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the advice! Can always use vehicles in my army, so a devilfish might be a good addition indeed ^-^
Old 29 Dec 2005, 11:20   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Dude. sound fine except a few things things

1)Shas'vre can not be a HQ. Your HQ must be a Shas'el or the 'O. But a shas'vre can be a bodyguard.(you mistype I guess)

2) you should enlarge the other two FW squads with 6 troops in it FW . They will suffer morale test faster than you think. My suggestion is that you max it out to 12. More firepower and much harder to to make them take morale tesdt and that's what makes Tau..... Tau.

3)the missile launchers on the Broadside.... You mean Smart missile system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 12:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Pretty much what vyper said. I wouldn't use a shaper for your kroot, its a strong ally, but it means you have to sit and eat your victims flesh for a turn. I know this means sacrificing that nice 6+ armour save, but most weapons will probably cancel that out, and kroot get a +1 to their cover saves.
Get another troop choice, probably firewarriors. And if you dont have them, get multi trackers on your broadsides.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 12:48   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I say the kroots can stay. They are good if you know how to use them well. Mine wiped out an entire Khorne Berzerkers squad.

But, the shaper have to go. They are not worth it, and scrap them. The kroots are best in this case to be around 16-20 per squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 12:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, the kroot are MUCH better without the shaper.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 13:05   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah I agree with you guys on the shaper. I never really understood why he should be in my army :-\ I mean yeah he adds an armor save of 6+, but he's kind of expensive and has some other disadvantages. Think I just wanted the character for collecting reasons I guess ;D
Old 29 Dec 2005, 13:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

True that it probably isn't a completely legal or as good a list as it might be, but he was merely asking for suggestions on what to get next..

Regarding the list itself though, and a slightly more thorough look at what could be added:

HQ - I wouldn't take a bodyguard.. I'd put him with one of the elite XV8s.. I'd take the commander as an Shas'o. Either that, or take both XV8's as Shas'O/Els..

Elites - You can only have 2 drones with the stealth squad.. put the other 3 with your drone squadron. For expanding, you *could* get some more crisis suits or another squad of stealths if you wanted.

Troops - Better off combining the two 6 man squads, and probably mounting them too.. And normal kroot would usually do just fine. Expanding - More Fire warrriors and/or another squad of kroot would be nice.

Fast Attack - Looks find as it is, once you add the drones from the stealthsuits to max out the drone squadron. The Pathfinders are all one squad btw.. for expanding - you could max out the pathfinders too, with some more normal pathinders. I'd leave the 3rd slot free for now, in anticipation of new units from the new codex.

Heavy Support - If you're using only one FOC, the first three look fine for filling out your heavy slots. You probably won't need another hammerhead..

So, areas of expansion for your army - More Troops basically, and maybe even a devilfish or two to go with it. Other things you could also do - add another squad of either stealths or crisis suits for the elites, and max out your pathfinder squad to fit in more markerlights.
Old 29 Dec 2005, 13:20   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the insights Mace - again Indeed, my list isn't valid for 100%, but when you're posting at work you tend to mix things up :

I considered some more stealth guys too, that might be a nice addition indeed, adding a markerlight. The devilfish is also on on my first priorities-list, along with a new stealth unit.