Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What will future bring - All infantry perhaps?
Closed Thread
Old 28 Dec 2005, 11:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to HraTaika
Default What will future bring - All infantry perhaps?

I was going trough the Tau rumours few minute ago, and it seems that an all-infantry list might quite possible in the near future. Your thoughts? Personally, if it seems playable, I'll definitely make it.
Loss: 112
Total: 488 games

Though I walk through the Valley of Shadow and Death, I fear no evil.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 12:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: What will future bring - All infantry perhaps?

Warhammer 40k is based off of war, its completely realistic. Armies have tanks, they just do, whether their troops aren't good enough, or they need the incredible firing rate, they have them. So as long as gamesworkshop wants to be realistic, which is one of the biggest things in 40k, they're gonna keep them.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 12:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
Warhammer 40k is based off of war, its completely realistic.* Armies have tanks, they just do, whether their troops aren't good enough, or they need the incredible firing rate, they have them.* So as long as gamesworkshop wants to be realistic, which is one of the biggest things in 40k, they're gonna keep them.*
40k is anything but realistic. listen to wargamers rants with regard to eldar and space marines. if 40k was realistic, then the dude with the rocket launhcer in a squad could target the tank whils the others target infantry. soldiers would have to pass "vomit" tests for shock and fear. ranges would not be the paltry 24" but would be 200" for standard issue weapons. you'd have movement and ballistic penalties for shooting etc. the AP system would be invalid. heck, i dunno how in gods name that would be accurately represented! you would not have the skirmish level stuff, but would be able to take real heavy support like mantas and baneblades. you'd end up playing epic with inquisitor rules, if you'd want relism. 40k is a game. a damn good game. but its as realistic to warfare as doom is.

an all infantry list is possible now. load up on broadsides and fire warriors/kroot. sorted. i'll stick to mechanised warfare.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 28 Dec 2005, 12:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
Warhammer 40k is based off of war, its completely realistic.* Armies have tanks, they just do, whether their troops aren't good enough, or they need the incredible firing rate, they have them.* So as long as gamesworkshop wants to be realistic, which is one of the biggest things in 40k, they're gonna keep them.*
40k is anything but realistic. listen to wargamers rants with regard to eldar and space marines. if 40k was realistic, then the dude with the rocket launhcer in a squad could target the tank whils the others target infantry. soldiers would have to pass "vomit" tests for shock and fear. ranges would not be the paltry 24" but would be 200" for standard issue weapons. you'd have movement and ballistic penalties for shooting etc. the AP system would be invalid. heck, i dunno how in gods name that would be accurately represented! you would not have the skirmish level stuff, but would be able to take real heavy support like mantas and baneblades. you'd end up playing epic with inquisitor rules, if you'd want relism. 40k is a game. a damn good game. but its as realistic to warfare as doom is.

an all infantry list is possible now. load up on broadsides and fire warriors/kroot. sorted. i'll stick to mechanised warfare.
I know that there are ALOT of unrealistic things about 40k, but there are also ALOT of realistic things about it.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 12:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

fair enough. there are some realistic things. soldiers carry guns.... tanks have even bigger guns... then again, you have soldiers who take swords into battle...

its a game. based on war. but its still a game.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 28 Dec 2005, 12:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
an all infantry list is possible now. load up on broadsides and fire warriors/kroot. sorted.
This may come as a surprise to you...but anything that isn't a vehicle can go in an infantry list...not just the three units you mentioned. *An all infantry tau list can have anything except hammerheads, devilfish, and pathfinders.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 28 Dec 2005, 12:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to HraTaika

Quote:
This may come as a surprise to you...but anything that isn't a vehicle can go in an infantry list...not just the three units you mentioned. An all infantry tau list can have anything except hammerheads, devilfish, and pathfinders.
Like said, also such things as Vespid, Sniper teams, New Suit weapons.. are things that one could take into their lists.
Loss: 112
Total: 488 games

Though I walk through the Valley of Shadow and Death, I fear no evil.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 21:34   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

By the look of things I won't be leaving home without a few Path finders, so all infantry won't do it for me.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 23:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well, you could claim a Forgeworld Ocra Drop for your pathfinders (where the devilfish is not mandatory), to keep it all infantry

but the biggest flaw I see with all infantry is that youll have nothing to stop a SMurf Dreadnaught wading in your ranks, having a field day! no power fists... no melta bombs... no options (emp grenades??)
Old 29 Dec 2005, 04:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Its possible now. Ive seen an army that falls into that catagory. A broadside team (3 teams of 1 actually) surrounded by 3 static Firewarrior squads and then 2 shas'els and a bunch of crisis suits. The battlesuits use the firebase as a pivot and reach out to claim objectives and hammer the enemy as they come toward the static base, the crisis suits break when the enemy gets too close and dive off to the right and left, when the enemy tries to get to grips with the firebase the battlesuits come rushing back in and the firewarriors sweep forward into rapid fire range and the enemy is pulped under sheer firepower. Thats just one way of doing it, the most effective all infantry army Ive seen in a while but there are others. Just now there seems to be a shift towards mechanization as with the 4th ed rules movement is much more important.

Im a tread head myself so I just love armor... even though our tanks dont have treads... oh well, you get the idea.

Closed Thread