Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ethereal bait?
Closed Thread
Old 28 Dec 2005, 00:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to LoneDragon Send a message via MSN to LoneDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LoneDragon
Default Ethereal bait?

I have never used an Ethereal before. They don't do anything but sit there and provide a bonus. I've always been worried about the price of failure. Then it hit me...an Ethereal would make the perfect bait.

I could put an Ethereal in the back of the middle with some Firewarriors. Then move the rest of my army up both flanks. When my enemy sends part of his army at the ethereal, both flanks turn back and wipe them out.

Has anyone tried similar tactics?

~Yub yub, Commander!

Always use Stealthsuits.

2000 points of Tau, no Kroot

HeroScape rules!
Old 28 Dec 2005, 00:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Re: Ethereal bait?

Yes, it is bait. But I keep mine in a transport most of the time, especially when my friend brings his Vindicare Assasin.

Some people have made, large, insulting banners that flap from that stick things. Some people give him a glowing halo. I keep mine in the Pathfinder's Devilfish.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 28 Dec 2005, 04:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Its a trick you can use but I often find there are much better baits to use. Such as battlesuits (broadsides especially) lone kroot squads or anything. A vindicare will mess up that stratagy in seconds and so will a good commander. An indirect pie plate will just run you off the board. I often find that the risks of such a use are just too much. In my experience its often best to keep the Etherial nice and safe within a Devilfish and among a squad of Firewarriors.... or pathfinders. Wherever is farthest from harm.

Old 28 Dec 2005, 05:44   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

aren't you scared of the 'price of failure rule'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 11:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis_vyper
aren't you scared of the 'price of failure rule'?
too right! what if it goes wrong and he does get killed, plan A fioled!

join the iron maiden cult, for iron maiden!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=19802.0
Old 28 Dec 2005, 13:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In 13 games where I've used a pathfinder/ethereal squad for bait...I've never had a "price of failure" problem. Here are some ground rules:

1. keep him in a squad when expecting pie-plates. Keep him independent at all other times.
2. keep a transport nearby to whisk him to safety if the bait is too effective.
3. be well prepared to close the trap if the bait is snatched.
4. have a plan to benefit from the bait being ignored.
5. make sure he's never the closest unit from any direction (due to deepstrikers). Drones off of vehicles are good for this.

I could imagine some battlesuits making good bait, especially long-range JSJ ones. But a single squad of kroot? Not worth the effort, it will be pie-plated or ignored. Broadsides? Please! They'll attract lascannon fire, but not so much assault squads.

The purpose of bait is to entice the enemy to advance part of his army to a position where it can recieve only minimal support from the rest of the army, then focus your entire army against that cut-off element. Broadsides don't work because the enemy will simply shoot them from 48" away with lascannons...no need for him to split his forces. Bait needs to be something that is best dealt with up close and personal.

Auns work because they have IC status, making long-range fire impractical. It's a single model with the potential to win or lose the game...absolutely irresistible bait! The key is to keep enough models nearby to keep him untargetable by shooting (also to sweeten the pot) and to have an escape plan for when the bait is taken.

Pathfinders work because they are so good at making a difference in the game without ever killing anything themselves. They have enough models that, in good cover, they'll tempt the enemy to get in rapid-fire or assault range to try to kill them off faster. Pathfinders are a great combo with the aun because they have plenty of room in their fish to give him a lift. Beware, though! If all the pathfinders are dead, the aun can't ride in their fish, wrecking this possible escape plan.

Deathrain and fireknife suits make decent bait. Their JSJ tactics force a choice on the enemy: Either accept losses, or root them out. Rooting them out means sending a unit or two after them...usually out of decent supporting range of the rest of their army.

Infantry squads make a decent supplement to other baits, but aren't annoying, dangerous, or lucrative enough to be bait on their own.

Short-ranged suits of all types and drones are poor bait...in order to do anything, they have to get close to the enemy...which is the opposite of pulling him into your trap.

Broadsides are only good for baiting one thing: deepstrikers. Problem is, the deepstrikers get to shoot first, and probably have the firepower needed to kill the suits. Broadsides don't suck in land-based enemies, as these can safely sit back and snipe with lascannons. This may change with the ASS, allowing the BS to stay out of LOS when not actively shooting tanks.

Skimmers are too mobile to be effective as bait. The enemy can't reasonably expect them to sit in one area long enough for his attack to unfold.

Did I miss any units?

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 28 Dec 2005, 14:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Sephiroth

Using one of the exalted Ethereals as bait? I should report you to Shas'ar'tol for this Shas'o!

Seriously, I think a less risky unit should be used as bait. Pathfinders or Kroot can prove annoying if placed in terrain, forcing the enemy to dig them out.
"My sorrow and anger precede me with regard to the stubborn and selfish refusal of the humans’ Emperor to permit his people acceding to the One Path, forcing us to embrace the course of conflict. The Fire Caste will do what is asked of them, and demonstrate to the Imperium of Man that piety is no substitute for wisdom."
- His Exalted Majesty, The Ethereal 'Unforeseen Truth'
Old 28 Dec 2005, 14:51   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Too risky? Nah, the more risk involved the more effective bait. >
Old 28 Dec 2005, 14:55   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork
Too risky? Nah, the more risk involved the more effective bait.* >
Hey, good point dude. Make the opponent itch to get the guy who will cause an entirer Tau army to syffer the morale check over and over. And WHAM! Bad guy annialated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 28 Dec 2005, 17:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That's the whole point...if the bait is sweet enough, they'll take it even though they know it's a trap.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread