Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hammerhead stuff
Closed Thread
Old 25 Dec 2005, 12:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Hammerhead stuff

Okay, well one of the things I got for Christmas was a hammerhead.* And I dont know what would be better to fit it with.* I know Im putting a rail gun on it, but should I put a burst cannon, or SMS?* SMS gives me four shots, with superior strength and AP, but burst cannon allows me to move, and shoot.

And, cant you equip seekers to a hammerhead?
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 25 Dec 2005, 13:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Hammerhead stuff

First of all, congratulations, it's a very fine tank. As far as the secondary weapons system...which weapon you take has zero effect on whether or not you get to move and shoot. Here are the pros and cons of each:

Burst Cannons:

6 shots
cheap
18" range
needs line of sight

Smart Missile System:

4 shots
expensive
24" range
no line of sight required

as for which is better, if you ask 100 people, you'll get...well, not 100 answers, only 2, but probably get each answer 50 times. Can't really say that one is better than the other. My choice is the burst cannons, I like 6 shots, and I don't like expensive upgrades. Most of the time, I'm out of 24" range (forget 18"!!!) anyway, so the 6" upgrade isn't worth it to me. If I had a choice, I'd choose neither one, and have a cheaper tank!

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 25 Dec 2005, 13:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

wait. Can I use burst cannons as my secondary weapon, and use my gun drones to hold a SMS system?
Old 25 Dec 2005, 14:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
wait.* Can I use burst cannons as my secondary weapon, and use my gun drones to hold a SMS system?
WHAT!? No. Not by any means - gun drones can't carry an SMS in the first place - and IAvol3 seems to indicate that the Gun Drone vehicle "upgrade" takes the place of the secondary weapon system.

Also, as march10k said, regardless of which weapon system you have you can still move and fire - you need to reread the rulebook section on vehicles.

As to your choice of weapon - play with both and see which suits your style - note that Burst Cannons are also two seperate weapons, so the Hammerhead can take more damage before "counts as" modifications Immobalize (read: destroy) your tank. The SMS, however, lets you retreat and still fire after you loose your main weapon. In Cityfight, too - SMS is your best friend.
Old 25 Dec 2005, 14:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra-Tuisich'Novae played the Angel Gabriel!
Quote:
wait.* Can I use burst cannons as my secondary weapon, and use my gun drones to hold a SMS system?
WHAT!?* No.* Not by any means - gun drones can't carry an SMS in the first place - and IAvol3 seems to indicate that the Gun Drone vehicle "upgrade" takes the place of the secondary weapon system.

Also, as march10k said, regardless of which weapon system you have you can still move and fire - you need to reread the rulebook section on vehicles.

As to your choice of weapon - play with both and see which suits your style - note that Burst Cannons are also two seperate weapons, so the Hammerhead can take more damage before "counts as" modifications Immobalize (read: destroy) your tank.* The SMS, however, lets you retreat and still fire after you loose your main weapon. In Cityfight, too - SMS is your best friend.
If gun drones cant hold missiles, then why does the picture in the front of the codex,(of models), show a HH with rail gun, burst cannon drones, and a SMS secondary weapon?
Old 25 Dec 2005, 15:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
If gun drones cant hold missiles, then why does the picture in the front of the codex,(of models), show a HH with rail gun, burst cannon drones, and a SMS secondary weapon?
First of all the Tank holds the Seeker missiles, not any drones. Unless your talking about sms (smart missile system) but that's different weapon system.

I'm looking at the codex and the hammerhead box art (its about 4 years old now so it might be different box art) it doesn't show any burst cannon drones. Just sms and a rail gun, maybe your mistaking the 3 lights on each side for burst cannons, strangely enough it has 3 on each side so maybe that's what your confusing? Yes hammerheads have headlights.

Second SMS? As Tau go, even though it shows two weapons in the sponsons, like on broadsides. They are just one weapon,
unlike burst cannons that are two separate burst cannons with the same representation on the model as SMS. Took me a bit to understand that myself. So on a broadside and hammerhead even though you have two of them, its still just 4 regular no Line Of Sight shots. Not twin linked.

As to your original question, I usually have the ion cannon fitted on my hammerhead. There are rare occasions when I know I'm playing a infantry heavy army that I'll take the railgun for its submunition round. For the secondary weapon, 90% of the time I'm shooting line of sight at units so I take the burst cannon, also for fitting a few things more into my army because there cheaper and extra chances to hit, two more always seems to make a difference.
Old 25 Dec 2005, 16:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I always use SMS for the 24" inch range and the no line of sight needed ability. It has saved my butt plenty of times.

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 25 Dec 2005, 16:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

SMS + Target Lock + Multi Tracker + Railgun + Decoy Launchers + BSF

Burst Cannon + Multi Tracker + Ion Cannon + Decoy Launchers

Thats that... and nothing more.

*Breaks into "All I Want for Christmas is a Railhead..." *

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 25 Dec 2005, 17:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius

Quote:

One of the tanks is the devilfish, if you'll notice, there's two gun drones in the allocated slots at the (well, where the eyes on a hammerhead shark would be) with burst cannon in the middle. The hammerhead is the one with the big long railgun on top, it got sms secondary systems, which, while in the same place, and also looking similar to drone on a devilfish, are NOT drones, but an intergralpart of the hammerhead.

If ive got the points, then i'll use the sms system, or if im on a map with loads of terrain. Otherwise, its the burst cannon, depends upon your situation.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 25 Dec 2005, 23:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

How far can I move if I want to fire an SMS, or a rail shot?
Closed Thread