Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

On Crisis Weaponry
Closed Thread
Old 24 Dec 2005, 13:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default On Crisis Weaponry

I've noticed lot of tau on these forums like giving out with the choice of weapons a crisis can get.

So here's my two bits on the weaponry.

Flamer A short ranged flamer weapon with the lowest strength in the army. If you're going to use it, deploy put your suits forward ands make as much use of your moves into cover and out of LoS as possible in order to max out kills per turn. Another fun combo with this one is deepstriking, and a very necessary one is JSJ, or in this cause J(Flame)J. Not having to roll to hit is a major upside (if you place the template right).

Fusion Blaster An excellent combo with many other Crisis weapons, this is the short range weapon that tough models fear. Again, using this weapon usually requires a forward deployment/ use of deepstrike. But used well, it can rip through those annoying and powerful vehicles and through the tough jerks you can't normally penetrate. Models with this feature are usually more expensive due to the other gear you'll want to give them - shield generators, hard wired multitrackers, and gun or shield drones. Also, these work well with the Shas'O model - this one is more likely to get into melee than most of your units, and that extra BS is not bad either way. Another Shas'O note: his independent character status helps you move him up using your own army as cover.

Plasma Rifle This is the bread and butter weapon of the crisis suits. A nice range coupled with rapid fire up close, this unit is very fun. however, because you lose that good range once you move, your range effectively goes from 24 to 18 inches, but you do get that rapid fire feature. Because of its varying nature in range, it combos well with most other weapons, especially the fusion blaster and missile pods. It also has high strength and low ap, a devastating weapon vs. better armored foes. It is the most expensive weapon, though.

Burst Cannon This weapon gives you more shots for your buck. As strong as your standard pulse rifle, this baby gets three shots at eighteen inches as compared the pulse's two at twelve. I love this weapon on suits, personally, as I often face high infrantry armies. In such situations this weapon is undeniably amazing. Having one suit with a twinlinked version of these is almost like having two stealth suits. And I love stealth suits. Once again, due to her range; forward deployment, movement behind/into cover and out of LoS and the JSJ tactic are highly recommended.

Missile Pod This is the one crisis weapon with real range. At two shots a turn per gun, you can be shooting at enemies for most of the game with this lovely number. Her strength is higher, but so's her AP, and she's not a bad gun for what you get. Equipped with a twinlinked version of this, a suit can just reposition itself around the board all day and hit most of your enemies throughout the game. her best friend is the plasma rifle.
Old 24 Dec 2005, 13:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: On Crisis Weaponry

you can equipt with 2 flamers? I thought only one.....
Old 24 Dec 2005, 14:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmachu
you can equipt with 2 flamers? I thought only one.....
The codex states that if you mount two weapons of the same type they MUST be twin linked. There is no option to twin link flamers. Thus you cannot have 2 flamers (TL or otherwise)
Old 24 Dec 2005, 14:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yep, that pretty much spells it out.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 24 Dec 2005, 14:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A couple of more issues:

Quote:
however, because you lose that good range once you move, your range effectively goes from 24 to 18 inches, but you do get that rapid fire feature.
1) A crisis suit is always considered stationary when firing rapid fire weapons. That means you can always shoot the plasma rifle at it's max range, wether you have moved or not. If the enemy is within 12" you may choose to rapid fire. You never have to. You always have the option.

So for a single shot you effectively have a 30" range (24 + 6 for JSJ). If you are within 18" you may rapid fire (again, using JSJ).

Quote:
though she looks great with a twin too - either linked or unlinked.
2) As previously stated, you must twin link weapons if you buy two of them. There is no option for a non-TL'd pair. Still a great weapon, mind you, but the most you'll get out of it on a single suit is 2 shots.
Old 24 Dec 2005, 14:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

a few mistakes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana Sel
Flamer * A short ranged flamer weapon with the lowest strength int eh army.* If you're going to use it, deploy put your suits forward ands make as much use of your moves into cover and out of LoS as possible in order to max out kills per turn.* Another fun combo with this one is deepstriking, and a very necessary one is JSJ, or in this cause J(Flame)J.* I've found that while one flamer is fun, equipping a *special model with two can also reap higher rewards, though it is a highly specialized - and cheap - model.

Fusion Blaster* An excellent combo with many other Crisis weapons, this is the short range weapon that tough models fear.* Again, using this weapon usually requires a forward deployment/ use of deepstrike.* But used well, it can rip through those annoying and powerful vehicles and through the tough jerks you can't normally penetrate.* Models with this feature are usually more expensive due to the other gear you'll want to give them - shield generators, hard wired multitrackers, and gun or shield drones.* Also, these work well with the Shas'O model - this one is more likely to get into melee than most of your units, and that extra BS is not bad either way.* Another Shas'O note: his independent character status helps you move him up using your own army as cover.

Plasma Rifle* This is the bread and butter weapon of the crisis suits.* A nice range coupled with rapid fire up close, this unit is very fun.* however, because you lose that good range once you move, your range effectively goes from 24 to 18 inches, but you do get that rapid fire feature.* Because of its varying nature in range, it combos well with most other weapons, especially the fusion blaster and missile pods.* It also has high strength and low ap, a devastating weapon vs. better armored foes.* It is the most expensive weapon, though.

Burst Cannon* This weapon gives you more shots for your buck.* As strong as your standard pulse rifle, this baby gets three shots at eighteen inches as compared the pulse's two at twelve.* I love this weapon on suits, personally, but I often face high infrantry armies.* *In such situations this weapon is undeniably amazing.* Having one suit with two of these is almost like having two stealth suits.* And I love stealth suits.* Once again, due to her range, forward deployment, movement behind/into cover and out of LoS and the JSJ tactic are highly recommended.

Missile Pod* This is the one crisis weapon with real range.* At two shots a turn per gun, you can be shooting at enemies for most of the game with this lovely number.* Her strength is higher, but so's her AP, and she's not a bad gun for what you get.* Equipped with two of these, a suit can just reposition itself around the board all day and hit most of your enemies throughout the game. *her best friend is the plasma rifle, though she looks great with a twin too - either linked or unlinked.
(1) you can olny take ONE flamer in the current dex. 2 is ILLEGAL. in the new dex you can take 2 and it allows a re-roll of wounds. and what do you mean by a "special model". O'shovah? In any case, special models can only take the equipment in their profile. Unless you mean our favourite painted crisis suit.
(2) you CANT take 2 of the same weapon. I've no idea how you figured you can take 2 burst cannons or missile pods. you can ONLY take ONE of each weapon and TWINLINK it. you can't take 2 missile pods for 2 slots, and count them as two weapons systems, throw in a multi tracker and pop off 4 shots a turn.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 24 Dec 2005, 14:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Give him a break :-\

You can twin link flamers (IA III) and he proabably ment twinlinked for the missile pods.

Great work
Old 24 Dec 2005, 15:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4lf L!fe 34
Give him a break* :-\

You can twin link flamers (IA III) and he proabably ment twinlinked for the missile pods.

Great work
Like i said, in the current codex, you cant twin link flamers. its there in black and white. IAV3 is meant to be inline with the new tau codex. so what it says is what the new codex will say. and as i said, in the new codex, yes, you can twin link it. just not now.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 24 Dec 2005, 16:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4lf L!fe 34
Give him a break :-\

You can twin link flamers (IA III) and he probably meant twinlinked for the missile pods.

Great work
No, you can't. As Deadnight said, it's quite clear. You must twinlink weapons if they fill more than one hardpoint, but there is no option to do so for the flamer. Thus, you can't do it. Period.

IA3 is not canon. It's additional rules that you can play with if your opponent agrees. It does not count towards the game as it stands right now. Wether the new codex will change that or not, I have no idea, but as of right now you can't do it in a regular game.

And for the missile pods and burst cannons, he seemed to say that you could have them non-TL'd.

Quote:
though she looks great with a twin too - either linked or unlinked.
It sounds pretty clear to me that the original poster is saying that you can have a weapon that takes up two hardpoints that isn't twin linked, though the codex clearly states otherwise.

As for giving him a "break", well I'm sorry but I don't see how spreading misinformation is something that should be rewarded. I'm sure it was a mistake, because I've known more than one Tau player that I've had to educate on the rules (the first player I saw also thought you could twin link, and my Tau team mate in my last game didn't know that stealth suits are considered always in cover when assaulted). There are a lot of rules to memorize, and it's not easy.

But that's no reason not to correct someone who's giving out false information.
Old 24 Dec 2005, 16:55   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I also thought that you can only have one flamer? But if you really can put 2 of them, your suit is gonna have a good beating in cc :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Closed Thread