Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Approach to Science
Closed Thread
Old 23 Dec 2005, 20:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Approach to Science

Well earlier I got to thinking about the fio caste. More particularly on just how they go about developing new technology and sciences. Do individual Fio take assignments, do they form development teams, are whole worlds put to a specific task, the whole empire? Do they have a network of fio across the empire sharing data or do they travel to one specific place to work on something. Do they bring in "experts" to help with a particular task. Do they specialize in a specific thing such as plasma or engines or do they diversify... lots of questions.

So members of TO, what do you think the Tau do in the way of science and technology development?

Old 23 Dec 2005, 22:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Approach to Science

The earth caste is my favourite! ;D
I think they form teams to work better: because the Tau cooperate to reach their goals. Don't know if any of them can know everything, but they are so technologically advanced that this seems impossible......too much to learn!! :P And also because specializing on an objective, they will perform better.

Tactica: Black Templars
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=28873.0

Assault cannon for Dreadnought rules!! Here's why:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17692.0

Make the best of your Crusader Squads. How?
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18509.0
Old 23 Dec 2005, 22:30   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I imagine their scientists work much like ours do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 24 Dec 2005, 00:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think its entirely possible the Fio caste work as a think tank but also have their own inner sytem of self government. while they are a caste and are within an empire, i'm sure they work out some sort of creative cooperation, as has been said.

And wargamer, i imagine their scientists work BETTER than ours do. note: earth science. note: at least two thousands years of human history, in comparison these dudes have had about 1000 to kick our butts technologically.

I also think that tau science focuses on two apects in warfare: gunfire and gunfire reception, as compared to the diverse fields of human study including melee technology.

Outside of warfare, i think the two tau key focuses are : transportation (also gets into warfare) and disease control (often taking form as genetic enhancement)
Old 24 Dec 2005, 00:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I really don't care at all... but I think that they work like our scientists, except they don't have to worry about funding, and tend to be more creative as a result.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 24 Dec 2005, 09:41   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana Sel
And wargamer, i imagine their scientists work BETTER than ours do.* note: earth science. note: at least two thousands years of human history, in comparison these dudes have had about 1000 to kick our butts technologically.
They have had 6,000 years. We had less than 2,000 (Dark Ages anyone?). If it weren't for that, we might have "sci fi" tech today.

Quote:
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 24 Dec 2005, 10:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

there will be two approaches.

the first, being the most common. the development team. the empire seeks the need for something new. a rail rfile, new ship, or something. a massive fio design team is brough together from the most capable fio. they will have Kor and possibly shas liasons to make sure what they make is practical and to serve the exact needs of those who they're building for. This will be the norm, and broadly similar to what we have, though whether a team is brought together, or various design teams actively compete for the project is beyond me.

the second approach is the monat. the lone fio. the eccentric. though unity is their strength, the tau recognise the strength and purpose one can bring. these are the tau that think outside the envelope, possibly unable to be fully integrated into society. they would be both looked at with awe and pity, a bit like exarchs. these guys would be the ones who come up with new ideas and flashes of genius that would revolutionise various technologies.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 24 Dec 2005, 10:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana Sel
And wargamer, i imagine their scientists work BETTER than ours do.* note: earth science. note: at least two thousands years of human history, in comparison these dudes have had about 1000 to kick our butts technologically.
They have had 6,000 years. We had less than 2,000 (Dark Ages anyone?). If it weren't for that, we might have "sci fi" tech today.
ya what a waste of 600 years
"they got ded big shooty guns dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz,coz you anit gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough ta crump em"

warlord skarmork the great despolier
Old 24 Dec 2005, 11:00   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

That does actually make a nice comparisson; modern Earth is what the Tau were like 4,600 years ago.

Quote:
Old 25 Dec 2005, 18:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i'd still say tau tech's better - i made a mistake in my tau timeline, but the human timeline streches back as far as mesopotamia and the egyptians (not just after christ), which gives us a verry long timeline, which we didn't use (although the egyptians might have had something...) prehistory goes beyond my formerly stated two thousand years of human history.
Closed Thread