Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlight - What does it light up?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Dec 2005, 11:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Markerlight - What does it light up?

I had my first game last night (my team lost, but we were winning by a mile until the last turn and a half ) and a question arose.

If you hit an enemy that is lit up by a markerlight, they don't get a cover save. That much I know. What I was thinking (but decided against doing) was shooting my submunitions into some troops in a forest, thereby negating both their normal save and their cover save. My team mate said I couldn't do this, though, as it would only work against one model, not the whole unit. I disagreed, thinking it silly that they ignore cover saves, but only on a single model, as it's typically units that get it, not single models.

So I checked the tau book, and it said that the markerlight lights up a "target". It doesn't say model, it doesn't say unit. It just says "target".

So what's a target? Is it a unit, or is it only ever a single model?
Old 23 Dec 2005, 11:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Markerlight - What does it light up?

With normal shooting, you can only shoot at the unit as a whole anyway, not one particular model. I don't see why using a markerlight would be any different, and would cause the whole squad to lose their cover save.

Common sense would also suggest that the whole unit loses their cover save, not just one model, as you pointed out.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 11:53   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ah, thats pretty clever. I never really though about that the markerlight removes cover save for the target unit (guess I should be reading the faqs more in depth).
Old 23 Dec 2005, 14:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

> heh yea I can see why that argument arose in the forst place... it IS a little "unfair" to markerlight a 4+ armor save squad all the way across the table in woods, and then drop a Railgun Submunition in on them, and watching them all die!

but thems the rules. dont bend them, because if you did then it would allow Space Marine Veteran with a Powerfist sniping...or other such real rule abuses.

but as for the how, in the above scenario?? got me! high tech markerlight optics... steerable subminutions.... :
Old 23 Dec 2005, 15:37   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

bah, we all know the Tau have a need to even the score out a bit. A little abuse here wouldn't hurt* >
Old 23 Dec 2005, 15:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauplayer
I had my first game last night (my team lost, but we were winning by a mile until the last turn and a half ) and a question arose.

If you hit an enemy that is lit up by a markerlight, they don't get a cover save. That much I know. What I was thinking (but decided against doing) was shooting my submunitions into some troops in a forest, thereby negating both their normal save and their cover save. My team mate said I couldn't do this, though, as it would only work against one model, not the whole unit. I disagreed, thinking it silly that they ignore cover saves, but only on a single model, as it's typically units that get it, not single models.

So I checked the tau book, and it said that the markerlight lights up a "target". It doesn't say model, it doesn't say unit. It just says "target".

So what's a target? Is it a unit, or is it only ever a single model?
Next time this question arises, simply show your friend the FAQ that states these new rules.

Here's why it works, simply:

1 - Weapons guided by markerlights ignore cover saves (markerlights don't ignore cover).
2 - Submunitions (or any shots for that matter) are weapons; which when guided by the markerlight, ignores the cover save.

It has nothing to do with how many hits you make, etc. The "hits" scored by a weapon, which are guided by a light, ignore cover saves. Plain and simple. The blast templates are used to measure how many hits a weapon of that power can achieve. All of those hits, are generated by a weapon that will ignore cover saves. There shouldn't be any question really; because it's worded perfectly fine, completely in favor of the Tau ignoring the cover saves, completely.

Targets in 4th edition are whole units; not single models (unless the single model counts as a unit).

So remember:

A - You ignore cover saves with weapons guided by a markerlight.
B - Markerlights do not remove cover saves themselves.
C - Anything that shoots and causes damage, regardless of the number of hits, templates, etc, that is guided by a markerlight, ignores those cover saves.

Where ever your opponent came up with the "works on a single model" thing, has no merit as nothing works like that. It's all worded perfectly well in the 4th edition rulebook how templates and hitting, wounding, etc works. And the markerlights are worded just fine in the FAQ in that weapons guided by them, ignore cover saves (just like flamers do).

Always print your FAQs and keep them handy.

Cheers!
Old 23 Dec 2005, 20:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

WHAMMY!

I don't see it as abuse, I see it as a well placed tactical blast.

ML's are our best weapon. They get better in the new 'Dex.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 23 Dec 2005, 22:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Where ever your opponent came up with the "works on a single model" thing, has no merit as nothing works like that.
It was my team mate, actually, and he's generally pretty good for the rules. Not always, of course, but generally

Quote:
Always print your FAQs and keep them handy.

I did, and I did have it, but the faq doesn't say "target model or unit" it only says target. Now, I know that you can't target a single model in a unit, and had I really wanted to do it I would have argued the point, but I had a better target to hit instead. I just figured I'd get the input of people here before next time, as I'm sure it will come up again before the new codex comes out and changes how markerlights work

I think the best way to clarify would be to point out, as said, that a typical model/unit can only target a single model if it is alone. If not, then it targets the unit. So the markerlight can't select one model in a unit, it has to light the whole thing up. Otherwise anyone can start sniping anyone they please, and the rules are specifically geared to disallow that

Old 24 Dec 2005, 05:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

u know this really makes marker lights awesome
just one question.

if my 'finders markerlight a squad, does that squad stay markerlit throughout the shooting phase or only until a number of men in that unit have died equal to the number of marker lights placed?
Old 24 Dec 2005, 05:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

They are lit until another unit shoots at them in that same shooting phase (specifically - until one model fires one weapon system at the lit unit). If they miss, well that's their problem, the markerlight hit has been 'used', and so cannot be used again.