Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

the Tau are not created by the Old One's- plus some genesis fluff
Closed Thread
Old 23 Dec 2005, 01:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default the Tau are not created by the Old One's- plus some genesis fluff

ok- so i don't know if this will get moved- but i'll put it out there.
The time- after the C'tan resurrection
the Old one's have lost the war, effectively, in "heaven." their races are scattered and being eaten by the C'tan who begin to combat themselves, letting their follower (now the Necrons) battle it out all over the galaxy. Because of this the Old One's continue to create races that are furthur and furthur dependent on the Warp (Eldar, Rathan, K'nib). this war, tapping into the material universe, begins a convulsion in the warp.
the minds of the psykers begin to adversly effect the denizens of the warp (low intelligence beings much like pre-formed C'tan). the impressions made on them help them gain intelligence and they begin to rain havoc on the material realm. The C'tan are uneffected by the Warp and have no way of harnessing its power (only voiding it), but the rest of the races in the galaxy begin to fall apart into insanity. at the height of this insanity the Enslavers, ancient beings that lived in the Warp, escape the immaterium to feed directly (as opposed to wait for psyker impressions). It is this plauge that covers the galaxy forcing the C'tan to retreat into Tombs. the old one's meanwhile have snapped, their power taken from them by their inability to succede against a race they had considered a minor threat.
now- what does this have to do with Tau? many individuals believe that the Tau were a final "seeded" race that would be able to fight the Necrons without the need for warp. however this cannot be the case if the Enslaver species was unleashed without the Old One's intent. the last species they created were warp based- all of them- the enslaver plauge was a result of those creations. so if the last races were warp oriented and then the enslavers hit- how could the Old One's react so quickly when they themselves were so surprized and broken.
in addition the Old One's retreated to fortress worlds in the heart of the Galaxy where they made their final stand- the Tau homeworlds are in the relative south of the old Necrontyre empire (info taken from 'Cron codex if you look at the map) which would later become the territories of (most probably) a dead C'tan. how could the Old One's hope to populate T'au? perhaps this can put an end to Old One theorists...
~good hunting
Old 23 Dec 2005, 01:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: the Tau are not created by the Old One's- plus some genesis fluff

Well not my Old One theory as, I have already stated countless times. It would have been a last plan, given to the Slaan to implement far in the future. No doubt formulated from those last days in their remaining fortress worlds.

No Old One theory I have ever seen talks about the Old Ones creating the Tau, having any direct plans for them or any control over them. Only that the Slaan planted the leader strain in them then let the race develop on its own, as they did with Humanity. They planted the leader strain in Humans when other apes were the most promising species on earth.......

Now it could have been the Slaan taking general last plans from the Old Ones, going around planting the leader strain in many races, set to emerge in time to bring the race to power as the Necrons begin to re-emerge, it just so happens that the Tau are the only ones to have an impact on the Galaxy [at all, or maybe just so far...hence the reason these are the only ones we know about]. Or the Old Ones could have scried the paths of the future and determined that the Tau were their best bet, so made only plans for the Slaan to implant the leader strain in the Tau.

Old 23 Dec 2005, 01:37   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmm some how I see the Tau having anything to do with the Slann as probable as this guy O0 having anything to do with a space wolf.

500 pts Radical Daemonhunters (3 years)
wins 2 losses 4 draws 0

Black Templars (Retired @ 5 years)
wins 52 losses 21 draws 19

Dark Angles (Retired @ 2 years)
wins 7 losses 34 draws 0

Mech Eldar(2 years)
wins 13 losses 3 draws 11 2nd Jahxan Heavy Siege Regiment (1 month) wins 1 losses 0 draws 0 ~ A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy, never forget never forgive.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 01:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I have another point - if the Tau were made to combat the necrons, how come they suck at it so much? ;D
Old 23 Dec 2005, 02:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I feel that the T'au are a sort of joke created by one of the last Slaan. He gets kicks watching this race get to superpower status and feels pride in his genetic craftsmanship.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 23 Dec 2005, 02:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

and this is where I believe that that kind of forsight is impossible. The Old One's did not know the Enslavers were coming- the final races they created were their last ditch and so they could not have hoped to prepare a new species that would operate without the warp (how could they, they did not see their mistake).
I've looked up the Slann- apparently the first of the Old One's creations were cold blooded- like themselves. if you go by old fluff the tau do not even come up and the Slann are returning to simpler roots. step up a few additions of 40k and the Slann become the last race that "knew" the Old One's and served them directly (i imagine similair to the Krork who stood fighting the Necrons at the gates of the Old One's fortress worlds).
Arguleon- your theory is good, but it does not work with the Tau as there is simply never a chance for the Old One's to implement that kind of plan- there is no evidence that the Slann could even create a race. as to the Old One's being able to "scry" there has never been a race that can forsee so much as to achieve what your saying the old one's did.
~good hunting
ps: the slann colonies are also nowhere near the Tau- and they no longer posses FTL travel.
Old 23 Dec 2005, 02:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I still don't agree with you Arguelon but I'll admit your theory is a one possibility that makes sense. However, but my only problem with it is similar to Calmsword's

Or the Old Ones could have scried the paths of the future and determined that the Tau were their best bet, so made only plans for the Slaan to implant the leader strain in the Tau.

Only psykers can scry the future. Old Ones were not psykers. Hence their need to create physcic races. The whole point of creating the Eldar and others was to acheive a greater connection with the warp.

Here's a quote from the Necron Codex
"Desiring minions with the capability of channeling physcic power to defend themselves"
This implies the Old Ones could not. And if they can't do that there is no way they could predict the future.

If your theory is right, I think they had no idea who would recieve the leader strains, just gave the Slann a general criteria for races to implant. There is no way they could have chosen the Tau in advance.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 23 Dec 2005, 03:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

exactly- and it is in these facts additionally that i believe that A. the leader strain theory does not work with the Tau and B. that the Tau have any relationship to the Necrons.
of course anyone is up to changing my mind, i'm no brick wall.
~good hunting
Old 23 Dec 2005, 05:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Old ones were indeed psychic - Necron codex p. 24:

Their understanding of the slow dance of the universe allowed them to manipulate alternate dimensions and they undertook great works of psychic engineering.

On that same page they are also described as "mystics", and said to have "mastery of the webway portals."
Old 23 Dec 2005, 05:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

mastery of the webway= psyker? i think not. however this is not at the crux of my discussion point.
~good hunting