Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The meaning of "Tau"
Closed Thread
Old 22 Dec 2005, 18:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang
Default The meaning of "Tau"

Hello, well i found a site today that has a lot of tau words in it and I was looking at it (here's the link-http://www.minivault.com/Tauglossary.htm) and found that a few of the words have literal translations for example "gue" means being and "la" means lowest so "gue'la" the Tau for human is literally translated "lowest being". Also "eldi" means wing "Y" means one so "Y'eldi" means winged one

Anyway I got down to "va" and found that it meands "great", then it is Tau'va meaning "Greater good" so if "va" means greater does this mean Tau means "good"?

if this is true, does it mean that tau are the "good " race in 40K?

just a thought
Old 22 Dec 2005, 18:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: The meaning of "Tau"

Sounds about right. We all know the Tau are good, just look at their cool hairstyles

Seriously, I have no problem with your logic

Wanax
Old 22 Dec 2005, 19:08   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Iceplague

Sounds okay to me too.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 19:12   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

same here. Thet ARE a pseodo-benelovent race and also the only race that doesn't shoot and ask questions later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 19:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

yes, but lots of people say their Idea of incorporating races into their civilization is "join us or die" style, But they are probably the only race that lets people surrendur and leave or bury their dead (correct me if i'm wrong)
Old 22 Dec 2005, 19:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Shirrin

The Greater Good is not a direct translation of Tau'va. Also that glossary isn't official. And as I recall Gue meant something along the lines of foreigner. Or perhaps it's just the Tau word for Human, I can't quite remember. ANyways Tau'va is not literally Greater Good. In fact it probably has no direct Translation. Like the word Love. We know what it is, it doesn't have a direct translation because it is an ideal, and as such doesnt have a definite definition.(hah definite definition.)
Old 22 Dec 2005, 20:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to gego_cybor1

Well the Tau give other races a chance to surrender first and then if not they shoot. This happens to most of the races but the Tau have now realised that some races will never surrender. The tyranids for example. If a Tau sees a tyranid he will shoot and ask questions later. The Tau have now realised that the tyranids will never surrender and there is no point in wasting lives to try to make peace with them. The same goes with the Orcs.

Well your reasoning on the word "Tau" is very good but I think that there it means a little bit more than just good. "Tau" is the home planet of the Tau and "Tau" also means thier very race. When you add the "va" it would mean something like "Great Planet" or "Great Race". To the Tau, "Planet" would mean good because it is their homeworld and everyone thinks of thier home or house or race as good. "Home sweet home" and "there is no place like home" are common quotes that people use to make thier home seem good. This is true of the Tau. So to a Tau, "Tau" would mean something like good because it means home or race. So when the Tau say "For the Tau'va!" they are basically saying "For the Great Home!" or "For the Great Race!" or something similar. To the gue'la this could be translated to good because the Tau are doing something good for their planet or race.

Sorry if it sounds confusing. I am not very good at getting ideas and stuff out.

Join the Tauonline Runescape Clan!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=90.0
I'm a Leader
Old 22 Dec 2005, 20:10   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but way back when the Tau were released I read something on the GW-boards where one of the developers kind of challenged the crow to "crack the code" or something like that. He made it sound as if there were a system as to how the Tau language were built up, thus making it possible to generate any word. Did I dream all this?
Old 22 Dec 2005, 20:14   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

"Tau" probably means "one", or something similar. So "Tau'va" does not mean "Greater good" it means "great one", one great purpose, working for the good of all, not the good of the individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 22 Dec 2005, 20:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

actually Y means one
Closed Thread