Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Railgun of Mass Destruction
Closed Thread
Old 20 Dec 2005, 19:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Railgun of Mass Destruction

Mantas are armed with lots of Heavy Railguns, but why not improve upon Railgun technology? Rail Rifles, while smaller, are not a huge step forward in the technology. We can make such a weapon, and the Tau are 39 millennia in the future. A super-heavy Railgun with as much power as the superlaser on Star Wars' Death Star would be more like it. A gun that could rip through and easily disable a Hive Ship and the heaviest Imperial ship, and be able to destroy an orbital station in a single shot, would be something I'd love to see in fluff. Making this the main weapon on a Manta, fluffwise, would not only improve the coolness and reputation of the Tau, but would give the starship a primary weapon of mass destruction.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 20:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Railgun of Mass Destruction

The manto is a support unit, not a full attack ship. Also, with a super-heavy railgun, how would you fit a hunter cadre? If an attack variant of the manta was made, maybe. But it would be both unbalanced and probably very expensive.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 20:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

All you'd need is large, powerful magnets, so there would be some room for some cadres.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 20:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

The manta's a drop ship so you'd give the Big gun to the crussers and battle ships not the cannon fodder.

Remember the mantas like a centameter in size compared to a foot or so on the acuall ships(I'm not exacly sure, I've just seen pics).

So the tau would be unbeatable in space if mantas had them and....................................
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 20:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ok. What is the Tau's intergalactic attack starships? They could use them.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Old 20 Dec 2005, 20:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

The explorer class though hero class they can be found here.
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/s...GameNav=300808
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 21:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Those ships are pretty ugly.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 22:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Doesn't realy help the discussion at all, but in answer - that's why everyone with a budget plays the Commerce Defence Fleet from Forge World.

Also, a Railcannon on a Manta appears to be almost the length of the main wing as it is - and a superheavy railcannon would:
1) Compromise the battlefield roll of the Manta's versatility.
2) Be almost useless in space.

You want a super-railgun, it's called a Spinal Mount - picture a weapon with linear accelerators the length of a Tau cruiser, not a Tau gunboat.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 04:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Bigger Railguns = Longer Rails (they don't actually have magnets!)
Longer Rails = More Power
More Power = more capacitors, power banks etc.

As you know from the codex, the transport space of the devilfish chassis when a hammerhead railgun is mounted on it, is taken up by large capacitor banks. This is pretty much as much as they can cram into a single tank, and so they can't have bigger guns. Of course, it's all in addition to the normal gear of the tank etc. For broadsides, they replace their jetpack etc. It was probably simpler to keep the broadside and hammerhead mounted railguns the same stats-wise, just for simplicity's sake.

For 'super-heavy Railguns', I would guess AX-10's (unfamiliar with the railgun stats), Manta's, and whatever other starships the Tau have are capable of bigger power systems, and so can take bigger railguns. Though on a 40k scale, none of this really matters..
Old 21 Dec 2005, 08:45   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Joris

Well i don't know about advanced railgun tech. But the tigershark has two kickass looking railguns sticking out. This Tigershark fills up the roll of Battle Titan for the Tau.

And has anyone noticed the railgun looking thingy on the prow of the Lar'Shi or Hero Class Starship. I put a photo of my fleet's Hero Class in attachment. In the Bfg rulebook it's called a "Gravitic Launcher"* ???. It does strenght 6 damage over a distance of 20 to 40cm. The Explorore Class Starship's prow railgun battery's does the same damage over a distange of 45cm. I don't get the fact that something that big, based on railgun tech, does so little damage in comparison to it's wee ity bity cousin the standard railgun.