Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot or Human auxiliaries???
Closed Thread
Old 20 Dec 2005, 19:33   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Kroot or Human auxiliaries???

in my army i use kroot as speedbumps and they generally do the trick but im wondering whether human auxiliares are better??
GOOD
they cost less
they can have emp grenades
they have 5+ saves

BAD
one less ws
smaller squads
they have lasguns
Old 20 Dec 2005, 19:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Kroot or Human auxiliares???

Don't mock Lasguns! >

Anyway, it depends on what job you want.

Kroot
- Assault Support
- Flank Protectors
- High Volume Fire Base
- Objective Takers (they can infiltrate, so they can get to the objective easier)

Gue'vesa
- Tank Hunting (EMP Grenades can be nasty)
- Cheap Markerlights (a Gue'vesa'ui with a Markerlight, while not as cheap as a Pathfinder, is cheaper than a Shas'ui lighter)
- High Volume Fire Base (the Pulse Rifles and Carbines you can put in the Gue'vesa squad, along with Lasguns, can make hoard armies cry)
- Flank Protectors (while lacking Fieldcraft or Infiltrate, Gue'vesa have better armor and can get Ld 8 cheaper, so that makes it much easier to keep them alive and allow them to protect the flanks)
- Expendable Unit (while this is unfluffy, you could just take a squad to shield something or act as a speed bump. These can work better than Gun Drones since you can have 2 auxillaries for every 1 drone)

Depending on which jobs you want, pick a unit, or just use both.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 19:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Firstly, Welcome to TO!

Secondly, we have had a few topics on this, but not very many...For now, here are some previous topics that we have had Gue'vesa'la discussions. Enjoy!

How to use Kroot/Gue'vesa?
Tau Infantry Summary and Comparison
Gue'vesa's or Firewarriors?
Old 20 Dec 2005, 19:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well your first mistake is right there, using Kroot as speed bumps. Not a good thing in my oppinion as it is willingly wasting victory points and scoring units.

Gue'vesa are the in between unit, halfway between Kroot and Firewarriors in almost every regard. They have the advantage of carrying specialized gear, the disadvantage of nof 2 close combat attacks and no infiltrate or field craft. The choice then is how do you intend to use them. Some of the best ways Ive seen are as follows:

-Cheap Markerlight, take a minimal squad with officer and markerlight and you have a cheap effective marker and last turn scoring unit that does not commit the use of pathfinders or a stationary Firewarrior squad.

-Anti-tank, the EMP grenade is actually not that bad at all. It just means getting really rather close. Gue'vesa are cheap enough that you can do this and maybe even sacrifice them in the doing to get up close to a pesky Land Raider hiding out of sight of broadsides and destroy it. Remember once they hit they roll a 4 or 5 for glancing hits and 6 gets a pennetrating hit. Not too shabby really. Though this still requires getting close and puts the unit in increased danger, 5+ save isnt that great, better than 6 though. Such a use needs care or you can get into the expendable troops mindset.

-Lastly they can be a cheap source of extra firepower. If you have points to fill they are cheap enough to buy in numbers to chock up a firebase to protect say a group of broadsides or an Etherial, etc.

Plus they can also be fluffy.

So if you need a unit to fill any of those roles, then gue'vesa are worth considering. But perhaps you should review tactics on kroot first and see if you cant improve their position in your army some. In my experience it is never a good thing to have fodder or "expendable" troops, we arent orks or tyranids remember, quite the opposite.

Old 20 Dec 2005, 22:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would advise against buying and painting up Gue'Vesa, as I'm not sure they're in the new Tau Codex, so you might have a unit you can only use for a few months.

I've created a new Manga/ Anime series.

In the near-future, the French police pilot giant robot suits to keep their country safe; they are...

GENDARME WING
Old 20 Dec 2005, 22:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwhizz
I would advise against buying and painting up Gue'Vesa, as I'm not sure they're in the new Tau Codex, so you might have a unit you can only use for a few months.
They are a chapter approved unit and I see no reason why GW would add the vespids and drop gue'vesa. Unless the new Tau codex overides chapter approved there is nothing to wory about. If it does, well I doubt GW would drop a unit entirely.

Old 21 Dec 2005, 01:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a

Kroot are totally not speedbumps. Use them to ambush with melee; if your army's general strategy includes a meat shield as a crucial part of it, you're probably not going to do so hot. Just as meat shields (even gue'vesa) aren't fluffy, they're also not too handy, as the only two meat shield units we have (kroot and humans) die really, really fast.

It's true that they make pretty okay tank hunters, especially in smaller games where marching them close enough to a tank to kill it won't necessarily mean they're as dead as...well...guardsmen.

But in larger games, I really caution against putting too much stock in them. They're guardsmen with flashlights, and as such they die like guardsmen with flashlights: Very quickly. Think about it: If you were playing guard, would you even for a second think that your squad of 6-12 guardsmen was going to make much of a difference in the larger game? Probably not.

Make sure you bear that in mind. They can't shield other units well, they can't shoot as well as Kroot or FWs, they cost only a point less than Kroot, can't assault well, can't infiltrate. They're good if you're low on points and can't think of anything else to buy, but otherwise, save your points and your money.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 16:33   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega62a
Kroot are totally not speedbumps.* Use them to ambush with melee; if your army's general strategy includes a meat shield as a crucial part of it, you're probably not going to do so hot. Just as meat shields (even gue'vesa) aren't fluffy, they're also not too handy, as the only two meat shield units we have (kroot and humans) die really, really fast.*

It's true that they make pretty okay tank hunters, especially in smaller games where marching them close enough to a tank to kill it won't necessarily mean they're as dead as...well...guardsmen.*

But in larger games, I really caution against putting too much stock in them.* They're guardsmen with flashlights, and as such they die like guardsmen with flashlights: Very quickly.* Think about it: If you were playing guard, would you even for a second think that your squad of 6-12 guardsmen was going to make much of a difference in the larger game? Probably not.*

Make sure you bear that in mind.* They can't shield other units well, they can't shoot as well as Kroot or FWs, they cost only a point less than Kroot, can't assault well, can't infiltrate.* They're good if you're low on points and can't think of anything else to buy, but otherwise, save your points and your money.
I agree. Kroots are like your very own horde of killers. they are also very good guerillas and i think that they are totally stronger.Bad news: weak armour and no grenades.

humans can carry more wargear than a kroot and they are much cheaper when it comes to death and glory. but they die way too fast(even faster than kroots i think)

but personally, i like the 'kruts' more than humans in a tau army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 16:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Re: Kroot or Human auxiliaries???

Kroot.
forget the humans.
for 1 pt more you get +1S, +1Ws +1A (kroot rifle) infiltrate, feild craft, and the ability to take more of them up to 20.
+ the geu'vesa are just guardsmen with none of the goodies normal gaurds men get (ie tanks, huge volume of men) so they are just point sinks.
so in summary:
Kroot good
Humans bad

The mothman
Old 21 Dec 2005, 20:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Kroot or Human auxiliaries???

I do wish the Humans would get some updates. I'm starting Imperial Guard, so I know that Gue'vesa are extremely inferior to the Imperial Guard Infantry Platoon. However, guardsmen cannot take EMP Grenades. EMPs are just like, if not better than, melta bombs. For their cheap price, EMPs can blow away a Land Raider with ease.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Closed Thread