Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Superweapon of the Tau
Closed Thread
Old 20 Dec 2005, 10:25   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Superweapon of the Tau

Does the tau have some kind of superweapon? Like nuclear or something ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 10:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Superweapon of the Tau

Iīd assume since they have fusion blasters they would also have at some point developed a thermonuclear warhead.

However, weapons like that donīt mean much in 40k. I remember hearing something about Tau exterminus, so they would have exterminus weapons, even though I donīthink that really fits them.

Old 20 Dec 2005, 10:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

There's nothing really to prevent a Tau fleet from laying out Exterminatus on a planet in BFG. Actually: there really is nothing to stop it. For one, I should think they have the capability (if not the desire) to deploy pretty intense bioweapons. That said, when it comes to 'super weapons' there is not a thing on the list that can match Nova Cannons or Armageddon Guns. Even the nearest 'mega damage' weapon is the Demiurg Cutting beam, which is pretty reliant on outside circumstance to even be deployable. It is noted as being used to 'gouge out recalcitrant moonlets', probably do a bit of damage to your capital city..or fortress monestary.

That said, nuclear is entirely within their capacity(if they can do fusion, they can do what we can do), but seems a tad...destructive for normal Tau modes of warfare.

Old 20 Dec 2005, 10:45   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

What is an exterminatus actually? read it in the codex before but i don't know what the h**k is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 20 Dec 2005, 10:48   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The exact definition varies, but in short, Exterminatus is something that blasts a planet to a lifeless rock.

Oh, and a Nova Cannon is not an Exterminatus weapon. Armageddon Guns are much larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 20 Dec 2005, 11:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I know about the Nova Cannon, I was just commenting on it as it's 'sortof' a Superweapon.

Wargamer's basically correct, Exterminatus is turning a lively habitable planet into an entirely dead planet. Most starships need to be specially configured to deploy Exterminatus Weaponry, but Apetus Astartes Battlebarges come with them as standard.

Forms include Cyclonic Torpedoes, Virus Bombing, and such. It seems a very 'un tau' thing to do, but if you really need rid of those Orks...

Xisor
Old 20 Dec 2005, 11:56   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Or Tyranids. Even the Tau aren't stupid enough to believe there is any way to deal with the Tyranids short of gunning them down.

Necron Tomb Worlds are another prime example of a target (although I don't know if they've encountered one yet). Orks are essentially an entire race of soldiers, so it's much easier to justify Exterminatus against them.

Hell, if things get desperate enough, they may do it to other races... but the moral implications make it undesirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 20 Dec 2005, 12:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Indeed, Orks and Tyranids are prime threats that would easily warrant it IMO. Necron tombworlds seem a bit more problematic. Could the Tau actually shift the tomb-complexes? I introduced via story-styled battle report my take of 'first contact' with the Necrons, called the Battle for N'Dras where the 'Tyr'Malas'(Necrons in Tau...Long Gone Ones?) battled on mass a rather large Tau convoy passing through the ouotskirts of the system. Basically the transcript of a 3000pt BFG Battle.

However, my thinking was: What is the true extent of Tau's perspective on the Necrons? Have they sense to 'quarentine' the tomb-worlds? Arthas Moloch, where O'Shovah got his sword, was quarentined IIRC, but we don't even know if the Necrons had a presence there.

I can't see the Tau deploying exterminatus 'willy nilly', as it were. Certainly, against a Tau world invaded by Orks or nids, they'd do their best to evacuate as many as possible, fighting against great forces to do so perhaps, but aside from the main two 'pests'(Orks/Nids), I don't see them going for it.

Then again, unforseen circumstances...
Old 20 Dec 2005, 12:42   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Is there some way to defend a planet from Exterminatus apart from intercepting the enemy Ships with your own fleet? Some sort of Planetary defence installations - guns, a shield protecting the whole planet/continent?
Old 20 Dec 2005, 12:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

It depends what the weapon is - and there are alot of ways an advanced and creative civilization can raze a planetary body.

Using Star Wars for an example, since I don't know much about 40k Planet Killing/Planet Destroying.

Against a Death Star, all you can do is fly a capital ship into the superlaser beam; otherwise it's effectively unstopable. Against the Nightshade system, or whatever you call it... it effectively condemns a planet to permafrost by blotting out the sky, but all a fighter has to do is blow up a half dozen satalites and the planet is saved by sunlight.
Closed Thread