Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Equipping a pair of Crisis suits for tankbusting.
Closed Thread
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:52   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Equipping a pair of Crisis suits for tankbusting.

I'm having trouble with my army. I wanted to have two of my crisis geared up for exclusie tankbusting >. But now i have no idea about what i should put on them? ??? Just for fluffiness i have named them ma'rio and lui'gi(in honour of the mario bros)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 14:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a
Default Re: Anti-tank tau brothers armament - what kind of armament i should equip on th

Either FB or MP, or both, depending on how heavy you're busting. Those are really the only choices for killing tanks.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 14:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Anti-tank tau brothers armament - what kind of armament i should equip on them?

Common configs: (look in the important topics)

Sunforge: Twinlinked Fusion Blaster+Shield Generator (good for Deep Strike)
Deathrain: Twinlinked Missile Pod + Flamer or Target Lock (for light vehicles or infantry)
Helios: Plasma Rifle + Fusion Blaster +Multi Tracker (for tanks, but also heavy infantry)
Stormsurge: Burst Cannon + Fusion Blaster (never used....don't know :-\)
Sunfire: Plasma Rifle + Missile Pod + Fusion Blaster+Hardwired Multitracker (generally for HQ)

I would suggest a Deathrain (with target lock) and a Sunforge or a Sunforge (with Target lock no Shield) and a Helios.
The first team is for every kind of vehicles the second is for heavy tanks.
If you want a team of two crisis with the same config, take helios or sunforge and give one a target lock.

good luck

Tactica: Black Templars
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=28873.0

Assault cannon for Dreadnought rules!! Here's why:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17692.0

Make the best of your Crusader Squads. How?
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18509.0
Old 19 Dec 2005, 15:06   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Anti-tank tau brothers armament - what kind of armament i should equip on them?

Hmmmm...... but actually is it practical? I mean only two and not three of them? Is it worth it inthe first place to make them anti-tank bros? :-\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 15:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Three suits just for tankhunt seems bad to me, because tanks are the intended target for your heavy support units (read: broadsides and hammerheads). In my opinion, 1 helios and 1 deathrain is enough for both heavy infantry and the tanks that survived my hammerheads; but I play 1000 pts, so don't how it will be with more points. :P

Generically speaking, 2 suits are more effective if you use them in 2 different units, not 1 unit. Fluff-wise, this is bad for your idea :'(, but it is safer for them. It also allows you to deepstrike with only the one with the shotest range (sunforge) and frees you from the need of target locks.

Tactica: Black Templars
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=28873.0

Assault cannon for Dreadnought rules!! Here's why:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17692.0

Make the best of your Crusader Squads. How?
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18509.0
Old 19 Dec 2005, 16:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: Anti-tank tau brothers armament - what kind of armament i should equip on th

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis_vyper
I'm having trouble with my army. I wanted to have two of my crisis geared up for exclusie tankbusting >. But now i have no idea about what i should put on them? ??? Just for fluffiness i have named them ma'rio and lui'gi(in honour of the mario bros)
Crisis_Vyper:

When making an anti-tank Crisis, perhaps you should consider just how you can and will deliver those shots, and to what kind of vehicle you will be doing it too:

1 - Am I shooting a tank?
2 - Am I shooting a skimmer?
3 - Do I have to rely on front/side armor shots?
4 - Is deep strike a factor?

Sunforge

XV8 Crisis
-Twin-linked Fusion Blaster
-Shield Generator

The sunforge is a classic anti-tank suit, running along with his twin-linked fusion blaster and shield generator, but it's almost like a football move, running straight down the middle and hoping not to get clipped. Or, perhaps he falls from the sky in a surprise deep strike attack, that leaves him out of range of the 2D6 penetration, making him useful, but not where he should have been. Or worse, just destroyed. And the suit itself isn't even a cheap one. So is it the type of suit you want running around? That depends on you.

If you're shooting a tank, you probably should decide if you're shooting heavy armor or medium armor. Fusion blasters are reliable, if in range, no matter the armor value, however, getting a suit in range for that isn't always easy or even possible. Missile Pods can't tackle a lot of front armor values reliably, so that is a road block as well. Basically, if you plan on shooting A13 in the front, you probably should leave it to a railgun, who will ultimately do it far easier, so the XV-88 is a battlesuit that will fill that role easily and cheaply. Otherwise, if you're not willing to throw more railguns into the high armors, you'll have to find more ways to deal damage with the Crisis.

If you're shooting a skimmer, you probably don't want to use a Fusion blaster setup, because it's just not going to be effective. One hit powerful shots just don't down skimmers reliably (they can, but glance only makes it rare). So you probably want to find another way to do this. Missile Pods come to mind, but you'll need several of them to do the job from the front.

One big thing to consider is if you're going to deep strike or not. The battlesuits have this option for a reason, and it can allow us some ease of delivery, as a trade of lack of ease of mind (will I scatter well?). This opens up a big world of punishment for your opponent's armor.

Death Rain

XV8 Crisis
-Twin-linked Missile Pod
-Target Lock (or Flamer)

The name really does say it pretty well. Basically, a twin-linked missile pod can work wonders. If you're firing on armor from the front, up to A12, you probably will see lucky glances, but a lot of not so great damage coming from it, unless you have a lot of missiles hitting the mark. Otherwise, with the range and flexibility, we could consider not trying to hit that front armor.

Now, for a fun base of comparison:

GunDrones, Str5 (twin-linked) vs. RA10 - you glance on a 5+. Not terribly great odds, but it's possible. Drones are pretty cheap, so deep striking a mob of Drones and taking some decent shots into some rear armor, may produce a glance which can be a great help, since it's not a suit and it's not a tank.

Crisis Suit with Missile Pods, Str7 (twin-linked) vs. A12 - you glance on a 5+. Again, not the best chances, but it's pretty much the same as if you were you throwing GunDrones to the rear armor (though this is more accurate due to the twin-linked BS3).

Str7 shots into rear armor is a realistic and attractive option. You could have two twin-linked shots, typically hitting a value of 10. Those are great odds for at least a glance.
Consider if you dropped two deathrain pattern suits (with target locks) behind your enemy's vehicles. You could split up the two suits, and probably score a glance on one tank, and perhaps a second with a little luck. Overally, it's pretty reliable with several shots, all requiring lower numbers. Afterall Str7 to the rear A10, is only slightly less potent than a Str10 railgun to FA13 (glances on a 3+, but the railgun of course, would penetrate due to AP1).

Variants?

Another option, could be a mixture of the Fusion Blaster and the Missile pod that works off random encounters, using flexibility as the key:

XV8 Crisis
-Missile Pods
-Fusion Blaster
-Multi-tracker

This type of setup isn't very reliable, but it does give you a bit of flexibility in return. If you deep strike up close, you can attempt the fusion blaster's goodness. On top of it, you can attempt some extra missile pods damage. If you don't deep strike, you at least have missile pods to fire, as you get into position, and then finally if you do find yourself up close, you could lay into the vehicle with the fusion (but it's a 50/50 chance).

Another way to go about it, would be to twin-link a weapon and use the Team Leader upgrade. A word of warning though: This will be expensive and not always worth it.

Which one?

If you think you can get a fusion blaster in close, then you can try it. Most people will immediately think, "But that means I can't deep strike until turn 2 or turn 3 sometimes? That's too late!" and quite simply, that's just how it is if you're using a Crisis to do the job against armor that isn't easily hit on the front armor values. The time it takes for a Sunforge to close in to it's target, in the movement phase, will be turn 2 or later. The Missile Pod of the Death Rain may not have good success hitting front armor of anything higher than A11 (meaning A12 is possible, but unlikely, and A13 is pretty much out of the question except with luck). Either way you look at it, it may be later than turn 1 that you get the job done. Knowing that it's a toss up, perhaps consider the safer bet. Fusion may be reliable up close, but the Missile Pods may be the best choice so long as you're deep striking or only targeting the lighter armors.

I would suggest giving it a try and see which works for you, based on your opponents.

If deep striking isn't an option for you, try something else. But if you think you could attempt it, you may find that a death rain from behind is a nice and cheap surprise to your enemy's vehicles. Several of them can work wonders on skimmers, and only a few can do a lot of damage to normal vehicles from behind (you can penetrate half the time!).

Basically, split up the tasks. Use a railgun for the heavy armor (A13+) and use missile pods for the rest. That will free up railgun shots and allow you to use submunition or ion cannon more often, while using flexible suits to either hit from the front, side or rear depending on how you deliver (and depending if you deep strike or not). The good news is also, since the missile pod is pretty flexible and multi-shot with long range, you can turn on infantry and other targets are a tank is removed and still be pretty effective, and do so on the cheap.

Cheers!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 19:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Equipping a pair of Crisis suits for tankbusting.

If I could I'd give you karma for another well done article, MalVeauX. Now as for my config, I use DSing TL missile pods of fusion blasters. There is a diagram on the mechTau bible,about DSing and i use it all the time. When I scatter, I'm generally okay. I lose a few things but The job is done, most of the time.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 21:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

If you really wish for one for Tank Hunting, I suggest the Xis'or pattern(literally: useful )

TL Fusion Blasters
Missile Pod
(HW Multitracker if you can, if not, it's no big deal)

Why?

Well, the trick is you have missile pods for engaging against skimmers and things, deterring enemy and taking potshots whilst you close range. Once you're in close, those fusion blasters come out and wreak merry havoc(ideally).

The downside is that it takes some skill to use properly as it's without the shield of the Sunforge.Typically creating more appealing targets(ie a distraction) and using good use of cover are paramount, I'd be wary of deep striking it though as a single meltagun hit will spell doom.

Otherwise, the others have the right idea.

Xisor
Old 20 Dec 2005, 01:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Welp, I shot down a lemun russ today with those handy missiles, so go with those. Great on HQ as they hit on a 2+/3+.
Fusion blasters are very key though as they are exceedingly good on vehicles, and are capable of putting any vehicle out of business with an AP1. One good roll and its over for that satanic tank. As for fusions short range, a shield, or a bodyguard if its an HQ. Or if its not TOO important to have a tankbuster, then don't worry about the shield, as its 20 points.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 21 Dec 2005, 06:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to LoneDragon Send a message via MSN to LoneDragon Send a message via Yahoo to LoneDragon

I usually take a pair of Deathrain suits for popping skimmers, transports, and light tanks(Die, Sentinel, die!).

My Hammerheads and Broadsides do most of the tank hunting. I don't see ever taking a Fusion Blaster on a Crisis suit once the new codex comes out and I can take them on Stealthsuits and Pirahnas...

~Yub yub, Commander!

Always use Stealthsuits.

2000 points of Tau, no Kroot

HeroScape rules!
Closed Thread