Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Twin-Linking on HQ
Closed Thread
Old 19 Dec 2005, 01:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Twin-Linking on HQ

I'm curious...

Should you bother with twin linking a leader's weapons? I mean, sure, a shas'el only has a bs of 4, but a shas'o has a bs of 5. Considering that he hits on a 2+ would it not make more sense to spend a few more points and get him a different second weapon? This way he gets more shots and is a little more versatile.

Granted a TL'd Shas'o would virtually never miss, but chances of a hit are fairly good anyway, right?
Old 19 Dec 2005, 01:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Twin-Linking on HQ

For the 'el, TL M-pods are an unholy terror to any enemy vehicles. But as far as the 'O, its a waste.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 01:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

For some, like me, BS5 is a pretty painful place to be. All you have to do is roll a 1, and your shot is messed up. I REALLY like a chance to reroll.

Of course, this would be pretty crazy to do on a Shas'O. I did this when I was first starting. Enormous pointsinks! And I still missed once, out of only a handful of games.

Now I take Shas'Els with twinlinked plasma. BS4 twinlinked is statistically superior to BS5, and MUCH cheaper.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 05:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

(From Hit Percentages Thread)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ mace
link=topic=2527.msg39481#msg39481 date=1100508766]
[table][tr][td]Ballistic Skill[/td][td]Hit %[/td][td]Hit % Twin Linked[/td][td]Example[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]2[/td][td]33.33%[/td][td]55.55%[/td][td]Drones[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]3[/td][td]50%[/td][td]75%[/td][td]Fire Warriors[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]4[/td][td]66.66%[/td][td]88.88%[/td][td]Hammerhead, Shas'el[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]5[/td][td]83.33%[/td][td]97.22%[/td][td]Shas'o, Markerlight[/td][/tr][/table]
For El's I twin link either plasma or missile pods, depending on whether I feel like killing marines or tanks (complimented with the one I don't twin link, and a hard wired multitracker). The big increase in accuracy makes the el a lot more efficient at shooting and killing things (20+% increase!). And as stated, it costs a lot less than an 'O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireStrike
Now I take Shas'Els with twinlinked plasma. BS4 twinlinked is statistically superior to BS5, and MUCH cheaper.
Quote:
- Shas'el with twin linked weapons hit more often then a shas'o with one weapon, although the difference is only 5%, but it costs a lot less..
Shas'O on the other hand, already have excellent BS, and twin-linking on them is rather useless, though it does make a reliable plasma weilding marine killing machine.. though I prefer a higher quantity of accurate and hard hitting shots (fireknife etc), rather than one or two extremely accurate shots (TL plasma). My standard Shas'O loadout, used in big games (1500 and over), is basically Plasma, Missile Pod, Fusion, and HW Multi-Tracker. This gives it a range of high str and low AP weaponry, to basically deal with anything as it advances (MP for vehicles at range, MP+Plasma for medium range, and Rapid-Firing Plasma and Fusion at close range). Though some people don't like the use of three weapons on crisis suits, as one is basically wasted each turn by not firing, I see that it is more versatile and still fairly reliable, and that twin-linking would be a waste, as it's already fairly accurate.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 14:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Should you bother with twin linking a leader's weapons?
No, I think that Twin linking for an 'o isn't always a waste, if he has few shots.
Ok, 95% times, it is a waste, but there are situation where you really want your shas'o to hit, for example if he uses helios or sunforge, because he's dangerously close to the enemy and he ABSOLUTELY NEEDS to score his 1-2-3 shots.
If he has many shots, TL can be understandable thinking that more shots means a higher probability to roll 1, but more shots also means that if you miss one of them it isn't a serious problem (and this leads to the conclusion: WASTE!!).

Quote:
Granted a TL'd Shas'o would virtually never miss, but chances of a hit are fairly good anyway, right?
Of course. The real question is if it is worth spending points to improve your chance to hit of 13.98% . The obvious cons is the extra cost and that if you want a second weapon you have to take an HW-MT (again, extra cost).
There is no absolute answer, it depends on the role of your 'o and how much you need him.

In my opinion the TL shas'o is too expensive, however it's not that strange. If you have the points and think it's worthy, do it .
For the 'el, no doubt. I love Twin-Linked weapons on my 'el (TL-MP specially) for the points saved and because it's very accurate. Nice to see that so many people thinks like me. ;D ;D

Quote:
a shas'o has a bs of 5. Considering that he hits on a 2+ would it not make more sense to spend a few more points and get him a different second weapon?
Yes, no matter if you go for versatility or for a deeper specialization, a second weapon (and MT) is always good and surely better than Twin linking (excessive cost :P).

But don't take me too seriously, this is just my opinion!!

Tactica: Black Templars
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=28873.0

Assault cannon for Dreadnought rules!! Here's why:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=17692.0

Make the best of your Crusader Squads. How?
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=18509.0
Old 19 Dec 2005, 16:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

For me twinlinking on the 'o is unnecessary, and twinlinking on the 'el vs. standard 'O, is a no brainer ('O all the way). With multitracker loadout(a must for most), the difference is only 12-13 points (fireknife config), since the 'el must take the more expensive hardwire Multi. Also, it prevents the HQ from taking a shield Generator, so it can limit it's potential roles in an army. Remember Twinlinking only affects one weapon, so you gain about 5% more success on one gun, but lose almost 17% accuracy on the other. All that plus the other statline increases make the 'O a bargain.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 16:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

When the new Codex comes out, people can take a Targetting Array and boost the BS of the 'El to 5. I'm going to do this on a XV-84 battlesuit (it's the Forgeworld commander suit with the Markerlight).

The 'El's suit is going to be loaded out like this MP/SG/TA & the XV-84's Markerlight & Target Locker. He's going to be a "cheap" commander who's going to direct fire for the Army. I'm hoping to be able to plant him behind my fire warriors and direct lots and lots of pulse rifle goodness =^.^=
Old 19 Dec 2005, 17:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

TL MP is killer then have umm FB thats really good and better they get close and boom
Old 19 Dec 2005, 18:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a

If for some reason you have a load of points just BEGGING to be spent, TLing a shas'o and giving him a second weapon and a HW-MT turns him into a death machine.

Also, it turns him into a point sink, but that's another story.

If you've got an 'el and you're beefing him up for tank hunting, definately TL your fusion blaster. If you're that close, you do not want to miss, period.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 18:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
link=topic=15224.msg241041#msg241041 date=1134972281]
(From Hit Percentages Thread)
Quote:
[table][tr][td]Ballistic Skill[/td][td]Hit %[/td][td]Hit % Twin Linked[/td][td]Example[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]2[/td][td]33.33%[/td][td]55.55%[/td][td]Drones[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]3[/td][td]50%[/td][td]75%[/td][td]Fire Warriors[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]4[/td][td]66.66%[/td][td]88.88%[/td][td]Hammerhead, Shas'el[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]5[/td][td]83.33%[/td][td]97.22%[/td][td]Shas'o, Markerlight[/td][/tr][/table]
I really like the chart mace...

I agree with what everybody is saying. TLing on an 'o is kind of pointless, but my 'el always is twinlinked. He is one guy I need to hit, besides my tanks, but my karma is focused through them, not my 'els who miss alot
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Closed Thread