Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Repping the FW suits...
Closed Thread
Old 18 Dec 2005, 22:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Repping the FW suits...

Hi!

As you are aware, the gorgeous Forge World XV81, XV84 and XV89 rules (as well as those for Shas'o R'myr) from the Taros Camapaign book are not consdiered tournament legal by the Studio.

However, this wouldn't stop one from using the suits with suitably (didn't even notice the pun there!) selected choices from the existing list (or from what options will be in the new one)

So, since this is not February (or whenever the new book is out), we can take the suit choices a step at a time.

Before we begin, it shoud be noted that only a Shas'el or Shas'o (or bodyguard Shas'vre, if you use the R'myr suit for your Shas'o) should really be given these suit options - to fit the FW recommendations.

So, let's start with the XV81:

Now we can't use that Smart Missile System it is originally designed to have, but one could say they were twin-linked missile pods and pick a third weapon (Plasma rifle, or whatever) for one of the other hardpoints - or say the SMS is just one missile pod (bit harder to get away with...) if you wanted to try and fit a multi-tracker onto one of the arms...

Now, the XV84:

That module on the back is meant to be a target lock and Markerlight, but in the current Codex that is not possible. So, we could say it was a hard-point multi-tracker, as well as integrating the scope for a hard-wired system (drone controller, target lock, whatever).

On to the XV89:

We don't have any way of repping its 2+ armour save (or its d6" second move) so for now we could just chalk it down to being a custom design for the Shas in aprticular - and wait and see if any relevant options appear in the new Codex! (It has a regular jet pack, so weapons and/or systems can be attached as normal)

And, saving the best for last, Shas'O R'myr:

Take a twin-linked plasma rifle, a shield generator and a hard-wired drone controller - done! (We don't have a flechette discharger equivalent in the current list, though)

EDIT: And the Broadside XV88-2 doesn't need new rules, but any excuse to show it:

So, one can make use of those fine suits without having to worry too much about their specific rules being accepted or not - though it is nice to see the IA stuff allowed too!

Gary

Gue'senshi: The 1st Kleistian Grenadiers(edited on 06 April 2006)
v7.3 pdf

Human armed forces for the greater good.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 22:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Repping the FW suits...

The 2+ save option similar to the XV-89 is rumored to be available to commanders in the new codex.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 18 Dec 2005, 22:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Indeed, seems XV89 = Iridian Armour Plates (though I'm just upgrading my normal suits to these, because they look nice but won't change the rules)
XV84 could easily have the targeting array and markerlight as a 'large hardpoint' granting an extra wound and could it as a hardwired mulitracker and a marker drone (seeing as its quite a large thing poking out of the top)
Old 19 Dec 2005, 04:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Yes.. Although you can't use the Forgeworld Rules in most tournaments, theres really nothing stopping you from using the models themselves, I mean, they look soo much cooler than the current XV8s (and XV88) IMO. As above, you can basically use them just as normal XV8s, with some minor changes/additions to the models etc..

Great post!
Old 19 Dec 2005, 04:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I wonder how much those 2+ saves cost... I'll take it for 10 pts each. 20 each? Maaaybe. But I expect to see these at Tournies!

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
Old 19 Dec 2005, 07:05   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

:'(

(still sobbing) Those forgeworld models are BEAUTIFUL! I want one of those!

[size=7pt]Edit by Aunny: Um, I believe that only one crying face is in order here...not multiple. Thanks! [/size]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 19 Dec 2005, 13:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, I'd love it if they could do Epic-scale versions of them...

Gary

v7.3 pdf

Old 19 Dec 2005, 15:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
I wonder how much those 2+ saves cost... I'll take it for 10 pts each. 20 each? Maaaybe. But I expect to see these at Tournies!
Also keep in mind that only one suit in the army will be able to take the Iridium Armour Special Issue wargear, oh, and it is an expensive option as well.

Fireblade
“One of their light walkers carried a weapon of lethal effect. It fired a form of ultra-high velocity projectile. I saw one of our tanks after having been it by it. There was a small hole punched in either flank – one the projectile’s entry point, the other its exit. The tiny munition had passed through the vehicle with such speed that everything within the hull not welded down had been sucked out through the exit hole. Including the crew. We never identified their bodies, for all that remained of them was a red stain upon the ground, extending some twenty metres from the wreck.”
Major Kane
Old 19 Dec 2005, 17:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

Nice really nice wow im impressed really cool
Old 19 Dec 2005, 17:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade

Also keep in mind that only one suit in the army will be able to take the Iridium Armour Special Issue wargear, oh, and it is an expensive option as well.

Fireblade
Yeah, it's almost as if they planned it, isn't it?

Gary

v7.3 pdf

Closed Thread