Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

High rate of fire crisis suits.
Closed Thread
Old 18 Dec 2005, 00:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default High rate of fire crisis suits.

Looking for a high rate of fire crisis configuration. Any thoughts on how a burst cannon/ missle pod configuration would work out? I have some spare crisis suits I can build them into.

Or if thats not the best high rate, what would be?
Old 18 Dec 2005, 00:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: High rate of fire crisis suits.

What you've got is probably the best number of shots. However, a flamer might give you heaps of hits. (Depends on how well you use it).

But seriously, going for number of shots over quality of shots isn't good on a crisis suit. That's what Stealth Teams are for.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 18 Dec 2005, 01:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

It would be suggest not to glue on weapons which would lock you into a specific config..

As Faolin said, High Fire rate isn't really what suits are for.. they're usually better with carrying the majority of High Str /AP weapons that the Tau have available, which other units can't take. Have a look at XV8 Battlesuit Configs/Tactics, which is listed in the Important Topics Sticky.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 02:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

I have 3 burst cannon and missil pod suits, trust me, dont do it. Burst cannons are better elsewhere they really are. For pure rate of fire fireknife is good, or deathrain when used right can get out a fair few shots.

Old 18 Dec 2005, 03:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

I wouldn't recommend it from a "you're going to fight marines SOMETIME" point of view. This config doesn't work on marines.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 03:22   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well that answers that then.

Planning on solid deathrain and helios (ie gluing), beyond that I have more suits which I'm deciding on configuration.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 07:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Contrary to popular belief, the Burst Cannon is actually one of the best anti-infantry weapons available to an XV-8. Even against T4 and 3+ saves, it's amazingly efficient. In fact, variations on the Plasma/BurstCannon config are the only XV8 loadouts that are more efficient than a Stealth Suit at killing Marines.

The real problem with putting Burst Cannons on XV8's is that you need those hardpoints for mouting the weapons you can't get anywhere else... namely plasma rifles and missile pods. You can get anti-light and anti-medium infantry killing power elsewhere, so it seems somewhat silly to equip your elite suits to do a job that most every other unit in the list can do as well... you don't need your XV8's for that. However you can't mount plasma or missiles on any other platform in the list.

Therefore, bring plasma and missiles first, to deal with heavy infantry and light vehicles... and THEN, if you're still itching to bring more XV8's feel free to consider a plasma/burst config variant. Although keep in mind that they're likely going to be somewhat superfluous since the Firewarriors, Kroot, Gun Drones, Hammerheads and Stealth Suits can all do their job as well.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 18 Dec 2005, 08:59   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to najtreg88

this has all been covered by Malveaux in http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...9873#msg239873
In that topic, the argument was whether or not to take burst cannons on a crisis suits. And it basically boiled down to the fact that unless you're sure you're going to play against massive hordes armies, leave the bursts to the stealths, since the crisis have better things to do (of course, if you are playing against hordes, a flamer/burstcannon would decimate it kinda quickly...)
That is why we have technology. So many armies bring knives to gunfights.
What is more dangerous than a sniper who moves?
Our style is different. We move, we shoot.
I say we are not weak. And in that fact, gentle tau, we have victory!!!

~By Shana Sel
Closed Thread