Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help starting with Tau?
Closed Thread
Old 17 Dec 2005, 00:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Help starting with Tau?

I just started collecting warhammer. I chose Tau as my race could any of yall help melearn more about it?
Old 17 Dec 2005, 01:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau?

You've got allot of reading to do. Here are some helpful links:

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~leebj/index.html
The mech tau Bible. Take it as seriously as you would/do/used to take the real one.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=14117.0
tau FAQ. Can be found at the top of the main tau page (this site).

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=4815.0
tau important topics. Read everything here.

http://www.tauonline.org/tau_tactics.php
general tau tactic from the main TO website. Some of the advice in there is a bit faulty.

That's about it. Also, take a look at some of the tau army lists at in the relevant child board.

Now that that is out of the way, I would suggest that you use the spell checker for all your future posts. Poor spelling is ganerrally froned on heer, ew dotn whant any of tehat!* :P

Complete silliness on the other hand, is ok.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 01:43   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

ty for the links to help me but i have another question me and my friend were wondering about this one thing we read on a forum it a new unit called Vespid.its supposed to be for the Tau we think ,but it was supposed to come out in november sometime i was just wondering if anyone had some information?!?!?!?!
Old 17 Dec 2005, 01:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

Hows it going new Tau Warrior

you should know that Tau are Shooters and not Fighters They love to shoot. THe basic rule for a new player is to keep your Firewarriors and Guys away from the enemy and shoot at them much as possible. When i first started out i was really dumb my first Thing i would do is Get a box set of Firewarriors then get 3 V8's Crisis Suits then more fire warriors and USe the Drones much as possible i mean you them there so importan because with out them your winning rate will fall.

Old 17 Dec 2005, 03:54   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_formthe_air_caste
ty for the links to help me but i have another question me and my friend were wondering about this one thing we read on a forum it a new unit called Vespid.its supposed to be for the Tau we think ,but it was supposed to come out in november sometime i was just wondering if anyone had some information?!?!?!?!
Have a look at the rumours forum.* We don't know all the details, but there has been quite a lot of discussion regarding the Vespids.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?board=29.0
Old 17 Dec 2005, 08:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8
Default Re: Help starting with Tau?

More tactics, your going to need as many as you can get your hands on ;D

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=1697

Beginning a Tau army, go here:

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9493.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 17 Dec 2005, 09:31   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Before you buy ANY models GET THE CODEX!!!!! I know its tempting but the codex will give you valuble pointers on all aspects of the tau including their history and tactics. Then using your codex write an army list to any number of points you want and post it somewhere on the forum where the other members will break it down for you into what are good and bad choices for various battlefield roles, then after deciding on an army list go out and buy the models for it, that way you dont spend more than you have to. That being said, Firewarriors are a safe bet to buy because you WILL need at least 1-2 squads, Crisis suits aren't a bad choice either, just be sure you know what weapons you want before gluing them on!.
Old 17 Dec 2005, 09:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

NOOOOOO!

That's normally really good advice, getting the codex, but in this case, I'd say borrow a codex. With a new one coming out in a few months, buying the old one will be a waste of money...but buy the new one on the day it is released!

I do agree that you could buy some firewarriors right away, you're required to have them no matter what.

Er...can someone with mod abilities correct the spelling in young jimmy's username?

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 17 Dec 2005, 10:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd get the Codex. You might have to buy another one soon but if you are anything like I was you can't wait. Tactics will mean nothing to you unless you actually know what the writers were talking about. (Eg, weapons stats, Ap,etc)

Just make sure you think before you use a tactic posted in these forums. I tried to use one that didn't suit my army and it made me lose all my games that day. When you get 2 games days a month that is really frustrating.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 17 Dec 2005, 23:38   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ooops, forgot about the new codex coming out, this does put you in a bit of a pickle doesnt it, hmmmm. well buy some firewarriors to tide you over, and buy the codex if you want, or buy the new one upon its release (March 2006 if the rumors are true.) Anyway, buy the codex before you get too serious.