Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Burst Cannon - is it feasible?
Closed Thread
Old 16 Dec 2005, 19:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Delvaurius
Default Burst Cannon - is it feasible?

Does anyone use this 4 barreled lead spitter? I myself would never equip it to a model ... for the reasons to follow:
1) Basic Tau have S5, so i'll have plenty of those to throw already
2) basic Tau cannot upgrade weaponary like lots of other races, meaning the only go up to S5, so I need all the heavier fire power I can get with my suits.
3) Burst Cannon has a relativly shorter range than some of the other options, so i'll probably get one less turn of shooting with it. Thus, a different longer ranged weapon could start making up the fact that the burst cannon is assault 3.
4) The other weapon choices are so much juicier, for one shot less per turn, you can have a missile pod which is S7 AP4 and like double range.

what are your views on this weapn, and does anyone use it? I'm thinking of doing my next list, and fireknife is one of my fav. combinations...

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 16 Dec 2005, 20:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: Burst Cannon - is it feasible?

I don't use it, for the same reasons that you have listed, along with:
5) Stealthsuits fill the role even better imo, are cheaper, and have their own rules that make them a bit more survivable at range.

Though, the only time I would consider using it, is maybe in cityfight, BC + Flamer etc. But again, there are heavier weapons that can be taken instead.

I usually take as many stealthsuits as possible in my army anyway, so having BC Crisis Suits is pretty redundant in my list (I already have a few devilfishes, hammerheads, stealthsuits, and lots of fire warriors that can put out a lot more S5 fire).
Old 16 Dec 2005, 20:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I wont be buying any stelth suits till the new ones come out. They dont particularily look any better, but surely will be cheaper beiong plastic.

Burst cannons.... it's the same on a hammerhead tank, unless i'm pushed for points, ill always choose the smart missiles.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 16 Dec 2005, 20:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

On Crisis Suits, I wouldn't use them. Their job is to bombard with Missile Pods or get up close and personal with Plasma Rifles and Fusion Blasters. Stealthsuits, however, are basically Fire Warriors (cost the same and generate the same amount of firepower as 3 Fire Warriors, but have more perks such as JSJ and stealth), and work perfectly with Burst Cannons. Sometimes, mass S5 attacks can bring down space marines better than Plasma Rifles. The more saves you are needed to take, the more saves you will fail.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Enge(spc)
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 20:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvaurius
I wont be buying any stelth suits till the new ones come out.* They dont particularily look any better, but surely will be cheaper beiong plastic.

Burst cannons.... it's the same on a hammerhead tank, unless i'm pushed for points, ill always choose the smart missiles.
As above. Burst Cannons are fine weapons, but they are plentiful outside of the XV-8 platform. The XV-8s have access to some potent weaponry that ONLY they can take. Give the Crisis the big guns, and leave the S5 weaponry to the rest of the Army.

As for Hammerheads, I pair SMS + TL with Railguns, and Burst Cannons with the Ion Cannon.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 20:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I prefer Bursts on HH since they're cheaper, and I always cruise my Hammerhead around the back of the table to prevent some heavy weapons from seeing me and other ones to have a ahrd time seeing me.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
And there we have it. Gentlemen, we give you Black Behemoth, future Supreme Overlord of Earth.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 20:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvaurius
I wont be buying any stelth suits till the new ones come out. They dont particularily look any better, but surely will be cheaper beiong plastic.

Let me remind you that a box of 5 plastic terminators now costs 50 dollars. 10 bucks a piece for plastic models...

It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 20:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

The burst Cannon is not that good
Old 16 Dec 2005, 20:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
Let me remind you that a box of 5 plastic terminators now costs 50 dollars.* 10 bucks a piece for plastic models...
Ok, well, generally plastic is cheaper, atleast in british sterling. I can only truly apply my knowledge to warhammer fantasy, but i assumed pricing would be the same...

You know GW, wont even give you two of the plasma rifles or missile pods for twin linking...

Well, i wont be using brst cannons on XV8s ever. With stealths, they work well it sounds though i've no personal experence.

-The Bleak Assassin-
Old 16 Dec 2005, 20:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Saying the Burst Cannon is not good is like saying Pulse Rifles aren't good. As I said, you will be amazed how much damage lots of Burst Cannons used by Stealthsuits will do to a marine squad, killing like 3 marines a turn.

A fantastic sig by Kais.

Quote:
Closed Thread