Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Another comeback - 1250 vs Space Marines
Closed Thread
Old 16 Dec 2005, 00:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default [BatRep] Another comeback - 1250 vs Space Marines

The Tau, ever expanding their influence on the eastern fringe, needed to secure high ground just outside the abandoned city for the arrival of reinforcements. The space marines have responded quickly, mobolising in order to secure the area themselves.

Master - Artificer armour, storm bolter, power weapon, terminator honours 130
Venerable Dreadnought, extra armour 130
Techmarine 65
7 Marines - vet with power fist, heavy bolter, plasma gun 150
-in rhino - extra armour, smoke, 58
7 Marines - vet with power weapon, lascannon, plasma gun 155
Pred - twin las, las sponsons, extra armour, HK missile 165
Pred - autocannon, heavy bolter sponsons, extra armour, HK missile 130
LR Crusader 265

Shas'el - twinlinked missile pod, plasma rifle, hw multi, hw bsf 100
Shas'el - twinlinked missile pod, plasma rifle, hw multi, hw bsf 100
4 Stealths 120
4 Stealths 120
4 Stealths 120
12 Fire Warriors 120
12 Fire Warriors 120
12 Fire Warriors 120
10 Kroot 70
10 Kroot 70
Hammerhead - railgun, smart missiles, decoys, multi, t.lock, d.pod, bsf 190

MISSION: TAKE AND HOLD ALPHA

Space Marine Turn One: The destructor sits, shoots, and destroys the hammerhead. The land raider moves north 6", shooting with the marines on the hill to kill 5 fire warriors in the forest, moral check passed. The dread moves forward 5" and fails to spot my stealths behind the building. The annihilator moves forward 6" and kills 2 fire warriors in the swamp.

Tau Turn One: The central commander moves down the west side of the long building, failing to not shoot the land raider. The western commander fires at the annihilator with no effect, and moves behind the west building. 4 fire warriors in the ruins fail to wound a space marine on the hill. The kroot move south 6".

The marines hit hard and fast, surprising the Tau. It appears they will simply overwhelm them for an easy victory.

Space Marine Turn Two: Rhino moves 12" into the objective circle and blows smoke, land raider moves north west and shoots at my commander, failing to wound him. The annihilator moves and shoots at the fire warriors, killing 2. The dread moves east, firing with the destructor and the marines on the hill to kill 3 kroot, moral check passed.

Tau Turn Two: Western commander fails to hit the annihilator in the side, even after rerolling. The central commander however shoots at the other side from the southern end of the building, and destroys the pred. The stealths behind the building destroy the rhino, 1 marine was killed, a further 2 marines were killed by the stealths near the forest and the 7 fire warriors in the forest. Kroot and fire warriors in ruins kill 2 marines on the hill, moral check passed.

The marines concentrate on wiping out the enemy infantry to finish them off. The Tau however rally themselves and start hitting back, halting the marine advance.

Space Marine Turn Three: The land raider moves towards the fire warriors in the swamp, kills 7, and the remaing warrior runs off. Destructor moves south, the dread moves east, they shoot at the kroot along with the marines, 3 die, the remaining 4 run off.

Tau Turn Three: The other kroot move back north and hide behind the forest. The fire warriors in the ruins move forward so half are still in the ruins, all are in range of the marines on the hill. 8 stealths and 7 fire warriors kill 2 rhino marines. The central commander fires at the side of the destructor from the middle hill and destroys it. The eastern commander fires at the ven dread at a distance, splicing a shot between a building to the left and a forest to the right, and is able to destroy it before moving into the south building.

The Space Marines continue to concentrate on enemy infantry, the land raider advancing towards the Tau line. Tau and Kroot start breaking and fleeing from combat, but that has only made the commanders work harder. They both ignore the land raider and focus firepower to the east. Shas'el Vash'ya M'yen Or'Es makes it two in a row, taking down his second pred. El'Ko'Vash proves himself worthy by picking out a dreadnought almost at maximum range in a very narrow line of sight corridor, and still managing 2 penetrating hits.

Space Marine Turn Four: The eastern commander dies to a lascannon from the marines on the southern hill. The 2 marines and master on the central hill fire at the other commander, the plasma causes 2 wounds. The land raider moves 12" north around the long building, machine spirited assault cannon failing to kill a stealth.

Tau Turn Four: The kroot move through the forest towards the objective, the stealths behind the ruins move to where the kroot were. The stealths near the building fail to not target the land raider, but the other stealths kill the 2 marines left. The fire warriors also fail to not target the land raider, but the commander does 2 wounds to the master with his plasma. The 12 fire warriors in the ruins fail to kill a southern marine.

The Space Marines have learned their lesson on Tau battlesuits, although it may have been too late. Firepower is still focussed on them, a lascannon is able to knock out El'Ko'Vash, while marine plasma wounds El'Or'Es. The land raider charges from behind the stealths, unable to get through their armour with its firepower, but enough to get their concentration for a turn. The other stealths advance towards the high ground, firing at the rest of the marines on the hill.

Space Marine Turn Five: The land raider moves south up the eastern side of the building, shooting at and killing 4 fire warriors in the forest, moral check passed. The master kills a stealth next to the building with the storm bolter and assaults them, but is killed before he can attack.

Tau Turn Five: The stealths all move towards the objective, and so do the kroot. The fire warriors in the ruins are able to move 1". The commander sits in front of the marines on the hill, killing 1.

The marines go for one last assault to control the area, but their fate is sealed when the Chapter Master falls, not down the hill, but at the hands of the stealths. (Ok he fell down the hill, got emabarrased, and wandered off, just don't tell anyone.) The tau move in on the high ground.

Space Marine Turn Six: The land raider kills all 3 stealths near the building, and sits in the objective circle. The marines on the hill kill 2 kroot.

Tau Turn Six: The 2 units of stealths and the kroot make it to the objective circle.

The Tau secure the high ground, the land raider is destroyed quickly after by a manta moving in on the area.

VICTORY TO TAU

This was my 50th win with Tau in 4th edition.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 02:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Oceania, Southern Hemisphere
Send a message via MSN to tyrehire
Default Re: Another comeback - 1250 vs Space Marines

Nice job, you really did well.

Tau player: "Don't worry, he has a 'Though shall always come back to life the next episode' special rule"

Don't like Games Workshops big prices? Sign a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/eg126s/petition.html

Vote for Tau Onlie at http://www.wabbithole.com/lists/index02.html
Old 16 Dec 2005, 04:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike
Default Re: Another comeback - 1250 vs Space Marines

Huh, a vehicle heavy marine army. That's something I ain't seen lately!

Did the facing of the hammerhead affect its death? I'm amazed you got by with so few heavy weapons. My missile pods never do that well.

Anyway, nice report! Congratulations on the win.
Old 16 Dec 2005, 11:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: [BatRep] Another comeback - 1250 vs Space Marines

Just a note:

Quote:
The land raider moves 12" north around the long building, machine spirited assault cannon failing to kill a stealth.
You may not use machine spirit to fire a weapon if the land raider moves more than 6".
Old 16 Dec 2005, 11:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

tits NICE jOB
Old 16 Dec 2005, 11:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

tough game really good i am impressed try something new every battle and you'll become better at everything

FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!!

p.s try 4 way battle it's fun i had a practice match the other day ill make a b.report later
Old 18 Dec 2005, 07:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

"You may not use machine spirit to fire a weapon if the land raider moves more than 6". "

Yes, you can.

"Did the facing of the hammerhead affect its death?"

Yeah. If you look at the map, I couldn't actually hide the hammerhead anywhere. . So I stuck it somewhere where if the worst happened, which it did, at least I've gotten one scoring unit, the destructor, in one corner of the battlefield. Not a gamewinning tactic, but there wasn't a lot of choice.

The most tactical thing I did this battle was move my commanders so that they were the closest targets in turn 3. Full marks to anyone who can figure out why that was a good idea. (Nice work Tonka, couldn't have put it better myself. Same reason for sticking him in front 5th turn, and even though the bait wasn'ta taken this time, it's still a clever tactic.)

I also used my kroot well, but they didn't do anything I'd consider special.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 07:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Regular opponents of the Tau know how rare it is to actually get a shot off at an IC XV8 with an insta-kill weapon like a LasCannon. By setting your Shas'els out front you gave him a tempting bit of bait in the form of 2 non-scoring units... but in order to shoot at them he'd have to remain stationary an extra turn. By taking the bait he was able to kill your commanders, but his marines were short of the objective at the end of turn 6. In alpha missions, all that matters is the number of scoring units on the objective, so the deaths of your commanders were largely meaningless yet they kept 2 squads of Marines from scoring at the end. I bet he was cursing himself at the end
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 18 Dec 2005, 11:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlainari
"You may not use machine spirit to fire a weapon if the land raider moves more than 6". "

Yes, you can.

No. No you can't.

I've had to educate so many space marine players in my area it's not funny. Even the guy who's becoming our Grey Knight (though to his defence he does know most of the rules really well, and is very easy going on stuff he doesn't know)

Space Marine Codex page 25:

"Also, the machine spirit may operate one weapon per turn as long as the vehicle has moved no more than 6""

It really strikes me as amazing how many Space Marine players have missed that bolded part.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 20:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok thankyou, the space marine player read the rule out loud to me when I questioned it, I should have read it myself. He kinda didn't read that bolded part.

Congrats on the answer tonka. It was mainly the can't move if you fire a heavy weapon thing. Wasn't sure whether to put him in cover or not, luckily it still worked, unfortunately I failed the cover save.
Closed Thread