Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drones in Combat!
Closed Thread
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Drones in Combat!

I've been thinking of this for a while now and i was wondering if anyone would like to add their thoughts, or tell me i'm crazy and to never do this again. What i've been doing is deploying the gun drones off my devilfishes and assulting the enemy with them. I know you're thinking thats stupid because its throwing away guns on your transport! But i do it because it slows the enemy down long enough for me to set up a sweet kill zone around them. I used this against some assult marines. Of coarse the drones were easily destroyed but in my next shooting phase i managed to nearly kill half the marines before they got into assult with another, more important unit. So there you have it, my crazy tactic. Please tell me where i could improve on this or if this is completely foolish and i should stop right away. Thanks.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Drones in Combat!

Trouble is the drones will almost always get cut down or run off, and then the enemy can make a sweeping advance - its just giving them a free turn really.
However having them hang nearby so that the enemy either has to waste shooting on them, possibly be pinned or have to assault them rather than something else, not to mention messing with target priority
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:09   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

As Tastyfish said, you need to be a little careful doing that. *If your drones do not survive combat (and they probably won't), the enemy will get to make a Massacre consolidation during your turn. *In a sense, you are not slowing them down at all, but rather speeding them up! *(Remember, though, that sweeping advance does not actually let you move in 4th Edition.* You can only consolidate d6 after destroying the enemy or 3" when you fail to catch them or if they were destroyed in combat.)

This tactic may slow the enemy down if they have a rule that forces them to charge when they can. *In this case, just send the drones around them and watch the enemy go chasing off after them.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

So rather than assulting the enemy in my turn, i should just send them up pretty close and screw up their target priority and maybe get assulted in their turn.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:24   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

That might work better for you. The real risk there is when the enemy somehow fails to kill both drones during their turn, which would protect them from being shot at during your turn. When you leave drones as bait like that, make sure you that you don't have any of your units with 5-6" of them. That will keep you from being caught up by the enemy's consolidation move.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sorry i think this is called double posting but i forgot to say this. If i deepstrike a small squad of four drones behind an enemy unit, and then assult them from behind, then after they destroy me would they have to consloudate backwards?
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:29   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by waters
Sorry i think this is called double posting but i forgot to say this.* If i deepstrike a small squad of four drones behind an enemy unit, and then assult them from behind, then after they destroy me would they have to consloudate backwards?
Nope!* Only double-posting when you have two posts in a row with no posts between them.

First of all, you can't assault on the turn you deep-strike.* That makes this type of strategy hard to pull off. If you do somehow survive the enemy's turn and get to charge, the following will apply.* Consolidation moves may normally be taken in any direction.* 40k is very different from Fantasy in this regard. If I remember correctly, the enemy doesn't even have to consolidate if they don't want to.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

Dorones *i mean its the best thing when a drone kills in combat as well as firewarriros but hey i think thats outstanding when they do that also when they kill a VET

GO DRONES!!! KILL 'M
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ya it would have been double posting, but you posted just before i did, luckily it worked out. Thanks for answering my question., I've been playing 40k for about four years now and i'm always trying to stop those assult marines from just jumping accross the board so quickly, by the time i kill them the rest of the enemy army is in position. On a related topic. If the drones are deployed from the devilfish and they are killed to they count toward victory points? I didn't think they would because they are part of the transport, but i'm not sure.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 00:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That is a good question, I don't really know seeing as those Drones are technically like Seekers or an Imperial Hunter Killer missiles.

Would this perhaps count as a weapon destroyed, or just nothing like if a missile is used up?
Closed Thread