Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

JSJ (Jump-Shoot-Jump), the basics
Closed Thread
Old 13 Dec 2005, 22:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default JSJ (Jump-Shoot-Jump), the basics

One of the few things a Tau player needs to learn is how to jump, shoot, jump, or JSJ. This manuver utilizes the full power of our crisis suits, stealth suits and gun drones. People may call it cheesy, but this is one of our strengths. If they call you cheesy, point out something that signifies there army and call it cheesy, like ATSKNF, or WBB. That shuts people up quick. Anyway, on to how to pull this manuver off correctly. (IMHO)

Deployment

That's the first and most important way to pull off this manuver, deployment. You need to put your crisis suits in a position where they can move in and out with little chance of retrubution from the enemy. Lets look at this.

----------------------
----------------------
----------------------
----------------------
Crisis Team

Here the crisis team is safely behind some woods. These woods are size three so even vehicles can't see them. On your turn, WALK in to the woods. This is very important, do not jump in, it is not worth the risk of losing a crisis suit. I've lost more suits to trees alone than enemy shooting, but that was way back when. Here's what it should look like now.

-----------------------
---Crisis Team---------
-----------------------
-----------------------

Now you can unleash firing, and hurt something. Now here's where I, and many other new Tau players, and even some vet, sare guilty of, we FORGET TO MOVE them in our assault phase! That is bad. We want them back in hiding. If we play hide and seek, so what. That's how we fight. Don't let your opponent get intimidated by saying it's girlie to do that. Say "so what" and proceed to wipe him out.

What to deploy Behind

Deployment is a big part of the 40k universe and what to deploy behind or in is a very tough decision. As Tau (and especialy mechTau) can be very fragile, generally players deploy behind there terrain for cover or hull down, etc. For JSJ troopers, they have dibs on terrain, second only to our main battle tank. They need it to JSJ effectively. Ideally, you want to stck JSJ troopers behind a building or size three terrain. Then nothing can shoot them and they can shoot the enemy. However, sometimes there is no size three terrain available. Then, deploy behind rocks. Rocks are size two, which blocks LOS from everything but tanks and MCs. But remember this, if a tank shoots you it shoots through cover and you get the cover save of 4+! What a deal. You either don't get shot by anything or get a 4+ cover save by things that can shoot you. Very effective.

Things to Remember

There are alot of things that are liitle rules in the 40k game. Those little rules can make a big difference when playing a JSJ tau army. The first thing is that when using jump infantry you only roll for dangerous terrain when you end your movement in terrain. That means you can leave forests without hurting yourself. You must remeber this rule because you always use the jetpack when you use our assault phase move. Here is another important point: the extra move is in the assault phase. This may seem trivial, look at the example.

Eldar Guardians Eldar Guardians(broken)

shots at guardians Crisis Team

---------------------- --------------------
----Crisis Team------- --------------------

You see what happened. The guardians were shot at by the crisis suits and fell back. Instead of retreating behind the woods, the crisis suits can now advance. You advance because the morale check for the guardians is at the end of the shooting phase. This is before the assault phase and thus, helps us determine where our suits should go. Many people I've seen move their suits and then the enemy fails a morale check. He says, "oh man I could've moved my suits there." I point out that he can, as the morale check happens before the crisis suits assault move. This little rule has helped me win many games becuase the suits capture of objectives and avdance instead of keeping their heads down.

In Conclusion

I hope this helped many Tau players understand JSJ. If anyone has anything else to add, please fell free. Also, I'd like to say here that JSJ manuvers aren't confined to hopping aroud terrain. You have 12 in worth of movement a turn, which is excellent for capuring objectives and such. I hope you all liked this article.

For the Tau'va!

P.S. Sorry for the poor pics. Hope the point was gotten across.

Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 22:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: JSJ, the basics

As stated, yes, everyone needs to know how to Jump and Shoot. It is vital for survival! Karmatized!

Keep the good work coming!
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: JSJ, the basics

Loved the explination. I know it alredy but it must be invaluable for those who dont.

O0 Afro smily for you.
A panda walks into a restaurant, sits down, and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun, and shoots the waiter dead. As the panda stands up to go, the manager shouts, " Where are you going? You just shot my waiter"

"Hey, man, I'm a PANDA!" the panda shouts back. "Look it up!"

The manager opens his dictionary and reads:

Panda: A tree-dwelling marsupial of Asian origin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Learn punctuation it changes the meaning of your sentinces. If you don't I'll destroy you.

Join TFOTFUWBS
Old 14 Dec 2005, 12:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: JSJ (Jump-Shoot-Jump), the basics

Yup, walking into terrain is a good way to do it

(note: of course it only works properly in LOS blocking area terrain, but it's handy :P)
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thank you everbody for all the comments. Now hopefully I'll get the pathfinder article up soon but that will take some thinking. ;D Later
Quote:
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 20:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
On your turn, WALK in to the woods. This is very important, do not jump in, it is not worth the risk of losing a crisis suit. I've lost more suits to trees alone than enemy shooting, but that was way back when.
How come ? we can crash on trees when using our jetpacks ?? I'd like explanations on that please ...
Old 14 Dec 2005, 20:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesuit
Quote:
On your turn, WALK in to the woods. This is very important, do not jump in, it is not worth the risk of losing a crisis suit. I've lost more suits to trees alone than enemy shooting, but that was way back when.
How come ? we can crash on trees when using our jetpacks ?? I'd like explanations on that please ...
Walking implies not using your jetpack. Meaning you roll 2d6 and pick the highest for movement.

I'd also like to add here that even if you double ones on this roll, still move. You might get to shoot you might not. If the suits still can't move treat them as a shaken vehicle for the turn, alive and mobile, but unable to shoot.
Quote:
Old 14 Dec 2005, 20:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesuit
Quote:

Any jet pack using unit that lands in difficult terrain (such as trees) must take a test to see if they take a wound. If you walk into the woods instead of flying into it, you don't have to make this test.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 00:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Florida, USA, Earth, Sola segumuntum, third arm of spiral milky way galaxy, the universe.

and you have at 1/3 chance of geting 6'', so...

Khanaris: Rocks and pointy sticks are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and require little training, and almost never malfunction. That hardly makes them a perfect weapon.

"I know not what world war three will be founght with, but world war four with be fought with sticks and stones."
Old 15 Dec 2005, 19:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

good chance you'll be moving at least 5 inches which is more than enough.
Quote:
Closed Thread