Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Batrep] and fluff; Tau vs Iron Warriors
Closed Thread
Old 13 Dec 2005, 08:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun
Default [Batrep] and fluff; Tau vs Iron Warriors

Shas'el Bork'an Khald'un surveyed the darkened battlefield before him.* The dawn would soon be upon him, and he had to move quickly to secure the objective before his foe.* Eons ago, a war of unimaginable magnitude had been fought here, and amongst the detruitus of battle there lay four weapons of great power.* If captured and turned against his foe, these foul silver gue'la, he would be unstoppable.* Sensors had already picked out the gue'la as they moved into posistion near to some of the artefacts.* He moved his army into posistion to begin the attack.

We played a secure and control mission, level gamma; the mission with the loot counters.* Basically, each loot counter is worth quite a few VP's, but destroying the enemy still counts.* To contest a loot counter, you simply need to have a scoring unit within 6"

tau forces;
shas'el Bork'an Khald'un; fireknife 85
12 dismounted fw's + shas'ui 130
10 mounted fw's, shas'ui in a fish with decoy, multi 205
10 mounted fw's, shas'ui in a fish with decoy, multi 205
20 kroot 140
3 crisis helios 183
3 crisis fireknife 195
6 stealth 180
6 pathfinders, shas'ui in a devilfish with decoy, multi, 177
ionhead with burst, decoy, multi, target 150
railhead with burst, decoy, multi, target 170
railhead with sms, decoy, multi, target 180
2000 exactly

iron warriors forces;
1 chaos lord with jetpack, plasma pistol, power weapon
squad of havocs with 4 lascannons
squad of havocs with 4 lascannons
defiler, mutated hull, indirect
defiler, mutated hull, indirect
5 marines with a heavy bolter
5 marines with a heavy bolter
5 marines with an autocannon
5 marines with a missile launcher
5 marines with a missile launcher
6 marines with 2 plasma rifles
9 chosen with 3 heavy bolters
9 chosen with 3 heavy bolters
every squad has mark of chaos undivided (re-roll failed morale and pinning tests)
the havocs, chosen, and plasma squad have swapped their bolters for bolt pistol/cc weapon.

Pre game thoughts by me;
He has a lot of heavy weapons.* Therefore, he is very ineffective whilst moving.* As long as I preserve my forces, he won't be able to cross the table and claim the objectives I place on my side.* Those defilers and havocs are at the top of my list to destroy; everything else really doesn't bug me.* He is also pretty numerous... with ld9 re-rollable to boot!* Better stay out of his gunsights and get behind terrain ASAP.* The nightfight for the first turn should allow me to get in posistion unmolested.* The plan; engage a part of his army at a time, give him as little as possible to shoot at.

Deployment;

Here is the table;

He won the roll for deployment, so I deployed first.* I tried very hard to keep everything possible out of LOS of his firelanes... his defilers had a very good crossing firelane going on in the middle, along with his havocs on my right flank.* Most of his army was near the objectives, mine was relatively spread out.* I infiltrated the kroot farther than 6" in the woods from his army; a must with 8 heavy bolters nearby.* The stealths infiltrated to deal with his commander on my left.* Here's how things looked when we were done;

I won the roll for first turn and chose to go first, and after zooming the pathfinders forward began my turn.

Tau turn 1; the stealths blast the chaos lord into oblivion, and the kroot and ion hh knock down a few space marines in one of the heavy bolter squads, forcing it to flee, unable to regroup.* All devilfish drones disembark. (insignifant, have not been shown, do nothing the rest of the game)

Iron warriors turn 1; The defiler nearest to my stealths moves towards the stealth team and tries to plant a shell amongst them... only to see a whopping 4".* The rest of his army is also plagued by lack of nightfighting ability, and his other defiler scatters too far. The only damage he causes is to shake my ionhead.

Tau turn 2; both railheads set up for a shot on the defiler near the objectives, and the one in the lower right corner blows it up.* The 2nd railhead, robbed of it's prey, kills 2 of the 9 chosen on the hill.* The stealths kill 1 of the plasma squad, the ionhead hides behind the trees, and the crisis pound on the havocs, killing 2.* The fw's attack the same chosen squad as the railhead, but none fall.* The kroot shoot at the advancing marines, killing two from the heavy bolter squad.* The devilfish drones advance all around, but do no damage.* The helios come in, but scatter and die.

Iron Warriors turn 2; the defiler advances on the stealths and kill two, the missile launcher team kills another.* the havocs that received fire shoot at the side of the transport hiding behind the woods and down it, killing 2 fw's.* The heavy bolter chosen shoot and kill 4 static fw's.* The plasma marines stun the ionhead, and the heavy bolter and autocannon teams shoot at the kroot, killing one.* They don't assault the overwhelming numbers of kroot, however.

Tau turn 3; the fw's and pathfinders both disembark behind the defiler, the railhead near the defiler lines up for a shot on the defiler as well.* The remaining stealths move forward to shoot the missile team, and on the right flank, the crisis and hh move a little.* The fw's blast apart the defiler's rear armor and destroy it, the pathfinders kill 1 of the missile marines, and shas'el khald'un kills one of the plasma marines by walking into the forest before forgetting to jump back. havocs take the combined firepower of the kroot, static fw's, hh, and crisis and are reduced to 3 lascannons, the havocs in the building lose 1 from the 2 fishes.

Iron Warriors turn 3; the remaining havocs fail their morale test and flee off the table, the havocs in the bunker shoot at and fail to damage the pathfinder fish.* The missile launcher also fails to damage the stealths, and the chosen continue to pour fire into the fw's, causing them to flee off the table. The plasma marines shoot the commander, wounding him, and he kills one of them in cc.* they hold.

Tau turn 4; the fw's rapid fire the missile launcher team, and the stealths shoot it too, reducing it to one model.* The havocs get markerlighted and lit up by the ionhead, railhead, and 2 fishes and are reduced to 4 models... all with lascannons.* The crisis and railhead on the right side pour fire into the other missile launcher, and reduce it to two models.* the railhead moves up, and the fw's rapid fire the autocannon team, and backed up by the kroot wipe it out.* In the combat with the commander, the commander kills one marine, and when the other flees Khald'un chases him down and beats his head in.

Iron warriors turn 4; the 4 havocs fire at the ionhead and blow it up, the chosen advance to try and get a better shot, (after not firing for the whole game) and the lone missile launcher marine assaults the fw's... inflicting two saved wounds before being squashed.* The chosen that didn't move shoot at the fw's in the woods, killing 2.* Finally, the remaining missile launcher shoots the railhead to no effect.

Tau turn 5; the stealths and fish move up the flank to roll onto the objective, while the railhead and crisis also advance.* The shas'el moves to claim the loot near the tau deployment zone, while the kroot and firewarriors advance and destroy the heavy bolter squad and inflict some casualties on the chosen.* The railhead and crisis wipe out the missile team and reduce the chosen on the hill to 4 models.* The havocs go down to one model from the stealths, fw's, rail, and fishes, but hold.

Iron warriors turn 5; the lone havoc shoots at the railhead, but fails to glance.* The chosen shoot and force the now below half fw's to flee off the table, and the kroot are shot at from the other havocs but take no losses.

Tau turn 6; the railhead, shas'el, kroot, stealths, and other railhead all move to claim objectives.* The last of the iron warriors are wiped out from fire by everyone.

Iron warriors turn 6; there is no turn 6...

Shas'el khald'un ordered his troops forward, but to engage the enemy with caution on the right; they were strong and would destroy his troops quickly if he wasn't careful.* In the meantime, he ordered the bulk of his force to attack on the gue'la flank.* The stealths gunned down a ferocious looking creature Khald'un could only assume to be their leader before a great hulking war machine appeared out of the morning fog.* "Firewarriors, the metal beast has but one weakness; it's rear.* Get around it, and may the ethereals blessings be upon you."* Not taking any chances, he ordered his railhead to target the metal behemoth should it survive, but the fw's did their work, and the monster was vanquished.* Congratulating his firewarriors, many of whom would be passing their trial of fire this day, and ordering his units to exploit the breach in the line, he failed to see several figures step out of the woods* in front of him and begin firing in his direction, point blank.* One of the bolts sheared his weaponless arm clear off, narrowly missing his main carapace, before Khald'un found himself surrounded.* Overcome with adrenaline, he kicked and bashed in every direction, felling one marine by smashing him into the ground.* Parrying the others attacks, he killed another before the last one broke and ran before his onslaught, only to recieve a quick shot to the back of the head.* By this time, his flanking manuever and center had both advanced within sight of the enemy, who were being cut to the last.* Moving to secure the last objective, Khald'un oversaw the crushing of the last gue'la resistance, and ordered the orcas to be brought in.* The remaining stealth troops and pathfinders would be dispatched to destroy any gue'la who had escaped, while the devilfishes would round up the wounded and scattered.* All four relics were secure, the iron warriors utterly destroyed, and his troops had taken few losses.* Today was truly a great day for the tau empire.

tau vp's; 4000
iron warrior vp's; about 450
margin of 3550
1601+ is victorious slaughter.

I have to give this guy credit; his army was really scary!* It's just that his flank, where there were no objectives, was rather weak, and I was able to exploit that.* I was also able to negate most of his firepower on the other flank until I moved forward in the last few turns to claim all of the objectives and finish off what was left.* He's dealt with mobile tau before... the last time he did he won in 3 turns.*

Things he would have changed;
night fight; that hurt him when I could get into posistion unmolested, yet still hurt him a bit.
better deployment; his firelanes were good.. but only with the defilers, which were promptly squashed, and had indirect anyway.* The havocs in the bunker were useless for most of the game.
army; next time, he would take 4 squads of havocs with lascannons.* * Now that's scary... for tau.* That would certainly be a challenge... but not one my stealths and kroot couldn't handle!

What I'd change; fewer tanks.* 6 tanks was pushing it, and if he had better anti tank, or I had less terrain, that would really hurt me.* More troops, namely stealths and kroot, are in order.* Those guys were my heroes.* Still need to figure out a way to take out tanks without the hh... and do so effectively.* Might upgrade Khal to an O next time, and go for Vash's helios.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 13:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Batrep and fluff; Tau vs Iron Warriors

Beautifully laid out Battle Report! It was a pleasure to read! And the sheer amount of workt that went into the pictures is great. Karmatized!

And just a note, I'll change the title so that it says [Batrep] so that it is easily searchable. Cheers!

Edit: Heh, I guess I didn't need to change the title...but all well...
Old 13 Dec 2005, 14:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: [Batrep] and fluff; Tau vs Iron Warriors

Seems the Ionhead drew a lot of fire and didn't really get to impact the game except as a damage sponge.

I was at first impressed with the way you stuck to your opening plan, but then reading it over, it doesn't seem like the Chaos player delivered enough of a counter attack to stop you. Your vehicles absorbed a good amount of damage and it looks like all those heavy weapons didn't really help him.

Man o man. I love the Kroot. Wish they'd perform that great in my games….but I find that my opponent just charges them as soon as possible. Even 8 marines can put up a solid fight on 20 kroot (which is why my next purchase is several hounds).

Very cool report!
Old 13 Dec 2005, 18:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a

Nice.* You whupped some Chaos butt, there. *high-five*
Old 13 Dec 2005, 19:07   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

that's a killer report, you really did show thouse chaos who's boss lol
Old 13 Dec 2005, 19:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

You caused two undivided squads to break and run off the table. You won several combats, and even chased down a marine!

If the rest of his luck was anything like that, its no wonder you won!
Old 13 Dec 2005, 20:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow, I loved this battle report. The pictures were so nice... It inspires me to do something like it. Congrats on the Karma too. It sounds like he got his but wupped. I love to see Chaos die. Next battle I'm reporting too. I love this one. Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 21:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

All batreps should really come standard with illustrations... The pictures make it so much easier to follow than X moved to Y and shot Z. Good report Khaldun, was a fun read and hopefully I can learn some strategies from it!
Old 13 Dec 2005, 23:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

Oh yeah, I forgot about that objection, the battlereport was so good. ;D

Your pictures are close to a meg each, when they could be a couple dozen k. PNG is a terrible format imo, especially for things like this. If you get hold of a program that converts, try putting them into GIF or better yet JPG format. Paint outputs BMP files, which are not that well optimized but still are much smaller than png.

It takes me a good minute to open each picture fully, so I didn't.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 00:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Well, as to his luck... it was very poor on his first turn.* Then it was kinda average... and towards the end he couldn't fail a save.* His havocs in the bunker absorbed shots from so many things... and there was still a guy left!

edit;

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawshis
Seems the Ionhead drew a lot of fire and didn't really get to impact the game except as a damage sponge.

I was at first impressed with the way you stuck to your opening plan, but then reading it over, it doesn't seem like the Chaos player delivered enough of a counter attack to stop you.* Your vehicles absorbed a good amount of damage and it looks like all those heavy weapons didn't really help him.
Yes, "damage sponge" is a good word for the ionhead... it got shot up a lot before finally being destroyed....

as to the lack of a counter attack, I don't really know what he could have countered with. His chosen couldn't scratch my vehicles, and his havocs tried but failed to hold the flank after it started to collapse. He was focused on the objectives far too much, IMO, to care about the flanking maneuver until it was too late. When he finally started to react to it, about turn 5, the flank was gone and my units easily swiped him aside and claimed the objectives.