Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

mesa confused...
Old 11 Dec 2005, 10:13   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to najtreg88
Default mesa confused...

I've been reading a little over the forum, and allot of people were talking about skimmers, so I went out to see what they were and found out they're from the forgeworld range...
Now, I thought that you can't bring forgeworld models into GW tournaments, but some people said they did.
So, can you or can you not take forgeworld stuff to a tournament?
then: since all those forgeworld thingies also appeared in an imperial armour book, does that make em legal?

thx in advance:
a confused me
That is why we have technology. So many armies bring knives to gunfights.
What is more dangerous than a sniper who moves?
Our style is different. We move, we shoot.
I say we are not weak. And in that fact, gentle tau, we have victory!!!

~By Shana Sel
najtreg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 10:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: mesa confused...

Which ones specifically?

Forgeworld is a separate part of GW that basically makes cool models, and eventually, it's own rules to go along with the models.
Forgeworld models - I believe you can use the models in tournaments, however you can't use the Forgeworld Rules, as they aren't considered tournament legal.
Imperial Armour is a book published by Forgeworld. It isn't usually considered rules legal in tournaments.
The Tau Codex is published by GW themselves. Everything in this is tournament legal.

Skimmers - the ones available to the Tau:
Devilfish - In the Tau Codex, GW range.
Hammerhead - In the Tau Codex, GW range. This kit is available from Forgeworld, though they are basically just reselling the GW kit.
Piranha - Currently only available from Forgeworld, and unofficial in terms of GW Tournaments. This is rumoured to become official next Tau Codex.
Tetra - Model and Rules by Forgeworld.

All of them appeared in the Imperial Armour book, as it's basically Forgeworld's version of the Tau codex, including ALL options and units - that is, not only those in the GW range and ruleset, but also Forgeworlds own models and rules.

Whether or not you can take Forgeworld models and use the Forgeworld rules in tournaments is really up to the organisers, though usually the rules are disallowed.

But I ask again, Which skimmers are you referring to?
Old 11 Dec 2005, 10:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yousa definitely confused if yousa quoting someone like Jarjar instead of someone like Tarkin. *Anyway, a skimmer isn't a vehcile, it's an entire type of vehicles. *Whoever told you that a skimmer is a forgeworld vehicle is even more confused. *In the Army we have a saying: "If you're a dumb private, and you have a question, the last person to ask is another dumb private". *A skimmer is simply any vehicle that floats above the ground instead of having wheels or tracks or something. *For Tau, the non-forgeworld skimmers are the hammerhead and the devilfish. Other skimmers include the space marine landspeeder, the necron monolith, and pretty much every eldar vehicle (well...there is the warwalker, but who uses those? *I've only seen them in the video game...) *Now, grow some chest hair and quote more manly star wars characters next time ;D

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 10:34   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to najtreg88

the pathfinders tetra was what caught my eye (and I thought I had written tetra, but seems like my darned fingers thought otherwise), but then I kept on reading and found more forgeworld units (piranha coming to mind)

so, basically, forgeworld units are off limits, unless specifically stated otherwise in the tournament rules?
and some of the forgeworld units can become GW official units? nice...

well, thanks for your quick reply mace!

and march, mesa loves jarjar

ps: one of the main reasons I got confused was because in: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=6845.0 that place, there are several tournament army lists which have tetras in them
That is why we have technology. So many armies bring knives to gunfights.
What is more dangerous than a sniper who moves?
Our style is different. We move, we shoot.
I say we are not weak. And in that fact, gentle tau, we have victory!!!

~By Shana Sel
najtreg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 11:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Ah, well it would depend on the tournament and the rules they have. Some of them might be small scale friendly tournaments, where it might be allowed. If you're talking large scale, national's, like GT's, then they're probably more stricter and specific about what can and can't be taken.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 16:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

There are 2 hobby stores not far from me. One has no characters and no forge world stuff allowed in their tournies. The other lets anything go. It all depends.

Hopefully the Tetra and Piranha will be in the new Tau Empire codex so they will be tournament legal. But we shall just have to waite and see.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 16:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

There is a level in Star Wars, Battlefront II.

Naboo: Hunt

Play as the CIS to cleanse Naboo of the Gungan infestation!

I kid thee not...

Flyers are ForgeWorld only...

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2005, 09:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm playing battlefront II on the PS2 right now...is it in the "instant action" portion?* I haven't come across a gungan hunt, sounds like fun! ;D* Or only on the PC version?* ???

Edit by RJay: Off-topic. God I feel grouchy today. :P

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
march10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2005, 15:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A lot of the time the 'no forgeworld' generally means no Flyers or Superheavies. Its generally not as good as official stuff or completely pointless ('No! You cheesy git, bringing a Trojan and an Atlas in 1500 points) other than the few odd Tau things.

Sorry I should clarify that - 'no forgeworld' means no forgeworld rules full stop. However it seems that quite often tournaments (I think the American Rogue trader ones and the UK conflict ones) do sometimes allow FW regular vehicles, not totally sure though to be honest.
Tastyfish is offline   Reply With Quote