Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Honour
Closed Thread
Old 11 Dec 2005, 08:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau Honour

It says in the Tau Codex several times that the Tau have a strict code of honour in battle. But there way of war looks on the things the Imperium views as honourable as stupid (fighting to the last man, brave charges, etc) and supports the things the Imperium views as cowardly (running away).

So what then is the "honourable way" for Tau?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 11 Dec 2005, 08:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Tau Honour

Well most likely service to the greater good. A difficult decision that aided the greater goal but detrimented oneself might be considered honourable as long as it was nececary. Taking prisoners, offering mercy, probably avoiding civilian cassualties etc. The kind of stuff the Imperium would not care about much of the time. Thats just my general thoughts on it though, but its very late and Im tired so I may not be saying it too well. Perhaps someone else could put it better.

Old 11 Dec 2005, 09:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I was reffering to honour during the battle but what you said still makes sense.

Thanks for that.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 11 Dec 2005, 09:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

doing his duty. fighting his enemy for the tau'va. But the enemy will be a guy with a gun. they offer the cahnce of surrender first. they dont accept? they will fight? so will the tau. they won't willingly shoot defenceless civilians, for example, or the wounded. After an attack ,they will allow their enemy to look to their dead and wounded. and so forth.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 11 Dec 2005, 10:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

u pretty much got it all tau are not evil,as humans can be
Old 11 Dec 2005, 12:32   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

the Tau, overall seem a much wiser race than humans, as for honour i once read something in GW, where a SM captin was referring to the tau as more Honorable than the guard...? ???
Old 11 Dec 2005, 14:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Unless of course they go into battle rage, when they will hunt down your wounded and attack your evacuation convoys like they did on Taros.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 14:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin
I was reffering to honour during the battle but what you said still makes sense.

Thanks for that.
Not shooting civilians and offering surrender terms to the enemy are things you do during battle!

I Wouldn't say the tau are wiser than humans. I would say they are less cynical, perhaps more naive...but not really wiser.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 11 Dec 2005, 14:50   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Precisely.

Let us consider some regular Imperial opponents:

1) Eldar. Eldar rarely offer any terms except "die". The odds of finding a "civilian" Eldar are so small as to be insignificant, and the Eldar will more often than not simply take what they want by force. Playing by the rules with Eldar won't help.

2) Orks. Orks cannot be bargained with, reasoned with, or understand concepts of surrender. Letting Orks recover their wounded is, like with the Eldar, just a chance for the enemy to get closer. Again, there are no Ork civilians.

3) Tyranids. Enough said.

4) Necrons. Again, no civilians, and no mercy.

5) Chaos. Nothing but hatred comes from Chaos, so the Imperium give only hatred back. Offering the Traitor a chance to repent whilst breathing simply encourages others to betray.

6) Tau... the only army that comes remotely close to playing by the rules. However, the Imperium has had a long time to learn that honour has no place on the field of battle... so why offer it to the Tau?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 11 Dec 2005, 15:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

even the tau will not offer such niceties to the be'gal or the y'he, wargamer. they've learned their lesson, and know the only way to deal with them is to kill them.

Whether they will some day apply this to humans is a mystery. but the tau are pretty sick of the gue'la by now...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Closed Thread