Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot or devilfishy?
Closed Thread
Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Kroot or devilfishy?

I'm trying to make a choice between two thirty five dollar box sets, the kroot box, or the devilfishy.* The kroot are a nice adaption, and will help me balance shooty with CC.* Then theres the devilfishy, which can be used as a mobile fire support unit, or an easy getaway before I get charged in CC.* Whichever, doesn't matter, as I'm getting a rulebook, and devilfishy/kroot box for christmas.* I'll get them both eventually, but Im gonna have to fight a few times before then and I don't know which would help me battle better.* What would you guys do?*

PS.* If I got a devilfishy I could use my pathfinders with rail rifles.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman
Default Re: Kroot or devilfishy?

well, it all depends on what else you have. because if you have niether than thew kroot, because haveing mnore infantry on the board can scare some players , if you already have kroot, then get more kroot lol, you can never have too many kroot

the mothman
Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

If you already have pathfinders but no transport for them the choice is self evident. Get the devilfish. Its not good to have expencive models sitting on the shelf because you dont have the transport they need to be fielded. Make what you have opperable before adding on.

Plus I tend to favor Tau armor and move away from kroot, I dont like them too much myself and I find that Tau need no assault or even counter assault element if you use them right and carefully. The Devilfish can help with that. Pathfinders with markerlights are a great thing and are probably going to be even better in the new codex.

Old 11 Dec 2005, 03:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah. *See, I really want kroot, they aren't the best at close combat, but thier cheap, and have thier advantages, such as infiltrate, and jungle flippin. *So they can do some fun damage, plus I've always wanted to charge into CC, but as tau thats the stupidest thing EVER. *But with kroot, you aren't going to get massacared, you'll put up a fight in CC for a short while, and who doesn't want to just bonk people with clubs, and stab them with gun blades? *But the devilfish is very appealing, as it looks so fun to build and paint it, and carry troops in it in all of it's shinyness, and tauness. *But I think I'll get the... um... oh dear... I dont know...* :'(
Old 11 Dec 2005, 04:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

kroot, more shots, kills more ppl you want dead
Old 11 Dec 2005, 04:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

get kroot because the spure for the devil fish is changing to have SMS on

any they both rule and pathfiners are only worth it once your army is big enought 1000 min
Old 11 Dec 2005, 05:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

What do you have at the moment?

If you've already got an army, and no Devilfish,get the Devilfish. (Mobility helps)

If you've got nothing go Kroot. (You need a large amount of basic troops before you start adding on)

Also, what tactics are you planning on using?

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 11 Dec 2005, 07:28   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
Yeah. *See, I really want kroot.......
I think you just answered your own question.

That being said if you want my advice, get the devilfish. The fish has pretty decent armor value, has a supprising amount of firepower (with the drones), can only be hit on a 6 if you move it 12 inches, which you will want to do because it can drop 12 firewarriors within rapid-fire range (good old Fish of Fury, enough firepower to knock out anything short of a vehicle).

Kroot on the other hand are really most effective when placed in a jungle, and letting your opponent assault YOU, not even kroot will last more than one or two rounds of combat if they charge (against MOST opponents).

This is of course my opinion and feel free to do whatever you like, however it has been my experience that the devilfish is a force to be reckoned with, and can be used in more situations than kroot.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 11:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

Battleforce has kroot in it. You getting one of those in the future?

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 12:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Kroot:
Pros- Infiltrate
Decent at close combat
cheap
Pretty good WS, may help firewarriors
cons- No saves unless with shaper, but then you MUST consolidate, and its still a 6+
Low leadership
The chance of getting shot down before CC, even when charging
Devilfishy:
Pros- Good fire support
Can carry lots of troops
Good armour strength
Counts as a fast vehicle
Cons-Well, uh... it can explode.

I could really use the extra troops, but the fire support, and transport would help me too.
Welp. The devilfish is just so appealing, and I always wanted a vehicle on the field. So... Devilfishy it is.
Closed Thread