Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Refused Flank?
Closed Thread
Old 11 Dec 2005, 00:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Refused Flank?

I just thought of a strategy for my Tau army, and I was wondering what everyone thinks before I use it. (When I tried FOF for the first time on a Games Day I lost all my Games!)

My army list has

- 2 Fire Warrior Teams (12 each)
- 1 Kroot Carnivore squad (15)
- Broadside (SMS)
- Hammerhead (Burst Cannons, disruption pod, multi - tracker, target lock)
- Devilfish - (disruption pod)
- Crisis Suit - (plasma rifle, missile pod, multi - tracker, maybe shield generator)
- Shas'O - (same as above but with target lock)

By the way, my games are played along the long side of the board. (I put a board on a pool table)

Basically what happens is you deploy the Crisis suits, Hammerhead, 1 Fire Warrior Team, Devilfish, and perhaps a Broadside fairly close together on one flank. Put everything that's left on the other flank. The plan is your opponent (Salamanders in my case, with no transports) bunches up his forces on the same flank as yours, with only a few guys on the other flank. Using ranged firepower (Hammerhead, Jetpacks, etc) take out the OTHER flank. (The one with only a few guys). Than relocate your bunched up guys to the other side.

The plan is that the enemy has to trudge across the board twice, meaning you get alot more shots in.

Will that work or not? Thanks for your thoughts.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 11 Dec 2005, 01:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: Florida, USA, Earth, Sola segumuntum, third arm of spiral milky way galaxy, the universe.
Default Re: Refused Flank?

probably.

i need to get another devilfish then...

Khanaris: Rocks and pointy sticks are inexpensive, easy to maintain, and require little training, and almost never malfunction. That hardly makes them a perfect weapon.

"I know not what world war three will be founght with, but world war four with be fought with sticks and stones."
Old 11 Dec 2005, 01:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

This actually reminds me quite abit of one of the tactics I was considering when building my army. There is in general not enough time or space to make such a tactic effective but in large games it can work assuming your opponent is not clever and decides to concentrate his forces against one of your flanks or neither and simply come up the center splitting your army in half and hammering one side into submition then shifting to destroy the other. Its a dangerous tactic as with a spout of bad luck or a cunning opponent you will find yourself devided and fighting your enemies full army with half of yours (Ive had to do this before, not fun, not fun at all).

Its something to consider but do not relly on it too much and dont make it your central tactic. This can easily be a one trick tactic that will not work a second time. Be careful how you use it.

Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for that.

What tactics can you use with a Tau army? I've looked in the Codex but the strategies there don't look any good at all.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolin
- Hammerhead (Burst Cannons, disruption pod, multi - tracker, target lock)
Do you mean a Burst Railhead?
Anyways it might work well against noobs but against more experienced players they will corner you with the bulk of their army and tie up the other half of your army with a small party. This will effectively negate any tactic you had planned and force you into a desperate fight. Maybe infiltrate the kroot to stop the said above disaster and take out the army like planned. Those are my two cents if you care for them. ;D

Old 11 Dec 2005, 03:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Against slow opponents like the Salamanders you're facing it would likely work quite well. To maximise the effectiveness though you will want to take all your firewarriors in devilfishes and quite a few stealth and crisis battlesuits. I'd suggest dropping the broadside and likely the kroot as well, though infiltration means that you can put them somewhere that the opponents will have to go through to reach your new position.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 05:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Do you mean a Burst Railhead?
Yes.

. I'd suggest dropping the broadside and likely the kroot as well, though infiltration means that you can put them somewhere that the opponents will have to go through to reach your new position.

Consider the Kroot dropped (I'll infiltrate a stealth team instead). I want to keep the Broadside though, as my friend usually takes a few offensive vehicles (LAND RAIDER!). Thanks for that.

Old 11 Dec 2005, 07:44   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Basically a refused flank tactic used properly works nicely and i often employ it to great effect, keep in mind the goal is not to flank your enemy, but to deny him options and force him into your guns. Basically pick your refused flank, and deploy your heavy hitters there, be sure your broadsides and railhead have clear lines of fire on that side of the table. Your opponent now has a choice to make, try that side of the table and expose himself to your big guns, or keep cover between your big guns and his army as he moves down the other flank. You have just dictated your opponents movement, because you have Refused the Flank. Thusly you can guide your opponent into the fire of your Firewarriors holding the other flank. (with your crisis suits hovering around the middle to react to your opponents inevitable unforeseen moves. I have used this tactic more than once with both a hybrid, and a static list, and it works like a charm. Now go out there and paste 'em!!! ;D
Old 11 Dec 2005, 14:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Here's my suggestion for almost the same tactic (still a refused flank) Deploy so that your static FWs, Kroot and Broadside are all on one flank (the flank you want to use) Put the Crisis suits roughly in the middle of the board, then the Devilfish and the Hammerhead on the other flank. I would actually even maybe suggest splitting the static team into 2 teams of six, so they can direct more firepower in different spots. Anyways, game starts and the mobile stuff (HH, DF, XV-8s) all quickly scoot across the board to face one half. By doing this, he's divided his force across the table evenly, then when you bunch up on him quick you are facing half his army at a time. You hammer on one half, then work your way back towards the other table edge, with shooting first, then move if you have to.

And with Sallys, I wouldn't infiltrate. Generally (at least I found) the best way to use them is to throw an Auspex in every unit. Infiltrators die real quick that way. (they're no good in CC either, tho not quite as bad as Tau)
Old 11 Dec 2005, 15:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

"refused flank" means overloading one side of the board at the expense of the other, encouraging the enemy to go to the weak side...not splitting your forces to both sides and surrendering the middle...that tactic begs the enemy to divide and conquer.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread