Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Aggressive Broadside
Closed Thread
Old 10 Dec 2005, 23:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Aggressive Broadside

Wargammer raised an interesting idea in his ongoing thread in the tau army lists child board.

Basically, he suggested using them as an offensive unit (as opposed to the relatively defensive broadside use that we see today). I'm assuming that broadsides will be getting the "slow and purposeful" rule in the new codex so thats where I'm coming from.

If you have any ideas about this, I want to hear them.

And just for the record, I am not "endorsing" this tactic.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 23:48   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Aggressive broadside

The theory behind it is simple. Broadsides are big, tough, multi-wounded and have excellent armour saves. Combined with enough firepower to kill anything head on, a Broadside has nothing to fear except a Lascannon volley.

With Slow and Purposeful in mind, I imagine the way Broadsides work will come much closer to my style of play. Mostly, people seem to use Broadsides in one of two ways:
  • Get them in a good firing position, then flee behind "solid" cover so they can't be shot and SMS people once the enemy get too close.
  • Stick them right in the corner, and thank the Tau'va for 72" range.

Personally, I much prefer a "die standing" approach; pick a spot, and hold it no matter what. I've seen Battlesuits hold their own in combat against some of the nastiest units in 40K, and so I see no need to flee from anyone.

With Slow and Purposeful, another realistic tactic shall emerge: advance and vanquish.

Essentially, the Broadsides march up a flank (not the centre, far too much of a gun-magnet), and blow everything they find into tiny pieces. This is how I would like to see Broadsides used, rather than as titanic gun-batteries that turn bright yellow the moment someone points a gun at them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Dec 2005, 23:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well this could make defencive broadsides better and in breakout missions and the like put them to better use but offencive... I dont think even with that rule that they will have the speed for an offence. The kind of slow lumbering firepower approach some players take with terminators I just cant see working with broadsides.

However I suppose you could use them as a constantly moving firebase marching forward down the center of the board pushing the center of your firepower slowly forward to split the enemy in half and segment them for individual destruction but such a plan seems rather weak. Alternately like wargamer said march them up the flank though I personally like striking an army hard center to shove them apart, I find too often that hitting the flanks only draws them tighter together. Such a thing is good for assaulty armies that want their enemies clustered for sweeping advance contacts but with Tau I am not so sure.

Ill see if I can think of some good tactics for agressive broadsides but I just think there are other units more suited to the task.

Old 11 Dec 2005, 00:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

What If you had two teams of two and moved one down each flank? Or you could have one provide fire support and the other team take the opposite flank. You could also take a HH to help. You could even add another Mon'tat broadside for extra support, but of course then you can't bring a HH.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 00:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like "Wargamer's" idea, a lot differnet from what anyone would be used too.
The problem I see with using 2 unitsis that its just so expensive. Being able to move and shoot is great, but Broadsides will still be slow, and vulnerable to massed firepower and heavy weapons. The "slow and purposeful" will likely use up their only hardpoint, too, so unless you upgrade a team leader and get some drones for extra wounds, these guys might just go down quickly. you know if I could have just gotten a MT on those with the "slow and purposeful" a TL-rails, and Tl-PRs config would be any MEQ's nightmare >. Hum...might be able to get that with a single man team though .
Old 11 Dec 2005, 00:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Personally I would send a team of 2 maybe 3 along one flank with the obvious intention of shooting at the center. Send a few teams of firewarriors and a pair of Hammerheads down center then split them off in 2 groups heading left and right, whatever follows the group heading toward the broadsides can get swamped by the combined firepower but the broadsides also keep a lane of fire open to the other group so that if the enemy is smart and goes for them some cover can still be provided catching them off guard again. In either case the intention being to split the enemies forces. Getting the lanes of fire correct would be the main difficulty and having forces in reserve (more mounted Firewarriors and battlesuits) to come to the aid of either splinter group would also be a good idea. But in this case the broadsides are at least mobile and move up on the flank splintering apart the chase group of the enemy and then moving into position to cover the return attack.

Old 11 Dec 2005, 00:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm just jotting down ideas as they come, but what if you had a single broadside move down the flank and try to draw fire away from the bulk of your force? He could probably pay his points easily, and he defiantly would draw fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
The "slow and purposeful" will likely use up their only hardpoint*
Why do you say that? We don't really have any info on the whole "slow and purposeful" thing, expect that we are getting it. I wouldn't be surprised if the (points) cost of broadsides will go up though... Oh well, 80 points is worth it.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 00:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to DireStrike Send a message via MSN to DireStrike

A team of broadsides, with shield drones and a team leader with plasma and hardwired multitracker. This team, advancing, can put out 4 twinlinked shots that will kill any infantry and 3 of the strongest anti-vehicle shots in the game. It can also take an ungodly amount of fire.

Like wargamer said, I wouldn't expose it to the ENTIRE enemy army at once, but it could easily take half of the fire. Of course, it approaches or exceeds the price of a landraider...

I definitely want to try it. I had planned on getting BSs with the new codex for a while, but the possible applications for this are just delicious. Consider a squad with 3 smart missile systems. You have 12 pulse equivalent shots with an effective 30 inch range that do not need line of sight. Of course, you'd rather use the big guns, but if the targets aren't handy, this isn't a bad fallback plan.

The Advanced Stabilizing System (Or ASS!) is rumored to take up a hardpoint.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 01:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vilest_worm
I'm just jotting down ideas as they come, but what if you had a single broadside move down the flank and try to draw fire away from the bulk of your force? He could probably pay his points easily, and he defiantly would draw fire.
True, but I am not generally going to send any unit out alone. For the most part my army usually stays in position to cover 2 other units and be covered by 2 others itself. Sending a broadside out on a flankn along though perhaps a nice diversion to draw units and fire leaves that unit out on a limb. If I were to consider such a thing I would have missil pod armed battlesuits and perhaps even a Railhead floating in between the broadside and the rest of the army ready to provide assistance if need be but never that far from the rest of the army so as to keep their normal roles intact. Alternatively you could park a bunch of broadsides in a central position without other units in the immediate vecinity as a lure. When the enemy gets close intent on killing them to sever your army in half have the broadsides advance and fire while your army sweeps in from right and left catching the enemy in a cross fire and then meeting together to go on a concentrated offencive or move forward in formation to cover each other and take objectives all the while having drawn out and eliminated what would likely be a significant portion of the enemy army. Not the most reliable tactics I know but once the enemy is cought in the lure the broadsides can advance with the force and are not reduced to waiting with no shots once the tactic is pulled off making the use of such a thing more practical.

Just another idea. Good or bad Im just bouncing them around.

Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

What if you were to infiltrate a big mob of kroot into a forest about halfway down the table on a flank and then have the broadsides move towards them? When the two meet up, they could form a very powerful tau assault combo (I never thought i'd type that) with lots of fire on the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
Just another idea. Good or bad Im just bouncing them around.
Thats the idea. Just post up any wacky idea you have and we can review them latter.
Closed Thread