Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Godzilla!
Closed Thread
Old 10 Dec 2005, 13:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Godzilla!

I'm playing a tyranid godzilla army soon and I would like some advice on how to defeat such a monstrocity.

he has 6 carnifexes, 2 tyrants and some ripper swarms for his troop choices.

What do I do?

I got owned by Wargamer, crazedmongoose2003 in Br and finally the inquisition during April 1st.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 13:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Godzilla!

i know how stupid this must sound but take alot of high str and ap guns and fight fire with fire ......godzilla vs godzilla ......use doneze of hammer haeds
"they got ded big shooty guns dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz,coz you anit gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough ta crump em"

warlord skarmork the great despolier
Old 10 Dec 2005, 13:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

Muhahahah, if he has guns on them all your screwed.

It is unlikely he will take carapce on many, perhaps on a winged tyrant. carapce alone would cost him 200pts! I reckon he will leave it at home.

Use:
Helios suits esp on reliable shas'o
Smart missiles (kill those ravs)
Broadsides
Kroot (distractions away from main line, hope he bites, surround BSs with them to avoid lictors, though if he has 6 Fexs no lictors.)
Pathfinders, load up on SOOOO many seekers!!! (but where to put them?....Ionhead)

Maybe:
Ionhead (though it will be shot down, you could stay out of range, Ioncannon + 4 seekers per tank staying more than 54" away from all VCs/BSs.... hard to do but you can try)
Stealths (all nid guns=assualt so all he has to roll is 6 on 2d6 to see the stealths)
Ethereal (can really help stop things running, would be pointless if he brought 5 psychic screams but again with max fexs that means no room for zoans. How to protect it from lictors, ravs, winged tyrants is another thing.)

Leave:
FireWarriors
devilfish
Railheads

If he comes at you with big slow claws youll be fine, just run before he is on you, even if on foot!
If he comes at you with big ass guns and a psychic choir. Well... You better have ALOT of helios suits!

Also better hope he does not have cover to advance in (like there should be on most tables)

At the GT I think my opponents 3 BSs did 1-2 wounds all game even though they where firing for most of the game just because I always had just the right amount of cover between us for 5+ or 4+ saves. (MARKERLIGHTS)

.use doneze of hammer haeds
Avoid.....like....the....plague!

max 6 shots per game....4 hits.....3.33 wounds=wounds inflicted cost less than the hammerhead!
Add shaken and cover saves=1 wound hooray!

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 13:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Stay mobile, run away.

Play escalation missions.

Expect everything he has to have either 2+ or 3+ saves. *Plan accordingly. * To take down a 2+ save 5 wound, 7 toughness carnifex, it will take you 360 Str5/AP 5/Bs3 shots. * Leave your firewarriors, and stealth teams at home, you simply won't make up the volume of fire necessary. *

Part of me thinks that the key might be 9 broadsides, and 9 crisis-suits toting plasma(twin-lined). * 9 broadsides can realistically take out one godzilla/turn. *Set up at the very back of your deployment zone, with good lines of fire, and go to town. *I think that this may work a bit better than hammerheads, because of the number of solid hits you can expect each turn. *9 broadsides are likely to score you 6.75 hits, while 3 hammerheads will only score 2. *Given that it'll take 5 wounds to drop most of his stuff, 2 hits/turn just isn't going to cut it.

9 twin-linked move-shoot-move plasma shots are also likely to cause him a problem. *They'll do better against the lower-toughnes tyrants, as they're not going to easily wound T7 carnifexes.

Maybe use a kroot mob as an assault-screen, so they cannot just beeline for your suits. *

Take out the godzillas in the following order:
Winged Hive Tyrant goes first. *- This one will get to you first and make a mess of everything else. *He'll hit your lines three turns prior to anyone else.
Non-winged Tyrant goes second - It is likely to have a psychic power with a low AP rating.
Carnifexes with big guns are more dangerous than those with assault weapons. * This sounds counter-intuitive for Tau, but remember, these things are very slow. *If he can pin your broadsides for a turn with a barbed strangler, he's reducing the incoming fire, and and carnifex that makes it into assault with you will be equally dangerous.

That's my advice, assuming that you have the models to pull it off. *Otherwise, hope for an escalation game, shoot the winged tyrant with everything you can, and hope the other stuff doesn't make it across the board.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 14:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Problem with gun line is always that he just won't even bother with your army, if all he has to do is go sit on the objectives to win it does not even matter if you potentially have the power to take out his army.

That is the thing I love about my own godzilla list, normally moving onto the objectives is easy...slow but easy. Once your there you are not getting off.

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 15:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If the gun line can cover the objective though...

The one thing I don't like about the godzilla list is automatically losing 1/3rd of your games due to escalation.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 16:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would not like that either! luckily it is not true..

Escalation recon will be tough but otherwise your fine, if you add a lictor for reserves rerolls you do even better but I left it out in my list due to the low volume of esc games in tournies.

With recon it can be tough since the slow MCs will at most move 30" onto the table without getting an assualt in, meaning anything in the last 18" is out of their reach, you still have the gaunts, winged tyrant and raveners though.

Apart from escalation recon all the other missions are beatable, most of the time its not even that hard as most armies cannot advance against a godzilla army.

Take and hold, secure and controll, cleanse, seek and destroy....none of these cause much problems even with recons, why would they? Recon is tough but like I said, most armies cannot advance against zilla armies and even those that can are unlikely to get past it. Turns into a tie most of the time. speedfreaks and DE will give you a run for your money though, just pray you can make them take the first turn.

Atm I have a 18 win, 2 tie, 2 loss record with my zilla nids after playing in 3 tournaments. (rank in tournies was 2nd, 1st and 5th) so I am quite happy with its performance, though shooting armies have never really been all that interesting to me.

Old 10 Dec 2005, 18:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a

Many, many, many broadsides are your friend. I like the idea of taking 9 of them, and give them plasma in case somebody does get close. (If you've got the points.)

Troops choices should definately be Kroot, simply for their sheer numbers. Any infantry isn't going to last long wtih Godzilla trying to stomp on them.

I would actually reccomend taking a squad of Sunforges for the bigger, slower 'nids. They should cause about two wounds per turn with a little luck. Plasma for the tyrants, as was said.

Tactics-wise, if they camp out, that's fine for you, provided there's a little cover. Use your suits to JSJ in and out and just potshot them until they come after you, and as long as they're not moving, your Broadsides can walk into a better line of fire. If they don't, try to herd (read: Bait) them into your Broadside line. Try to set up your broadsides on the left-ish, middle-ish, and right-ish sides of your line of deployment to A. maximize area of coverage and B. minimize the damage if a Godzilla DOES get through.

Watch out for those guns; they'll eat your crisis suits up.

Ripper Swarms COULD cause a problem for you if you ignore them by accident; just make sure you kill them before they get close enough to your broadsides to tie them up in CC. (Even if they lose, they'll cost you valuable railgun shots).

G'luck, dude.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 18:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_knight

Hammerhead
V8s and allot of fire warriros will take them out
Old 10 Dec 2005, 19:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Many, many, many broadsides are your friend. I like the idea of taking 9 of them, and give them plasma in case somebody does get close. (If you've got the points.)

OOh yea! they can get TL plasma for elmors sake! Railgun and plasma with multitracker!!!

Closed Thread