Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Base Size
Closed Thread
Old 10 Dec 2005, 07:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Base Size

I'm in th middle of paintinting my XV84 suit (lots of fun we'll se if it's usefull..current rules say no but ..update..) anyhoo it comes w the same size base as IG heavy teams(60mm) as opposed to the 40 mm I usually use w suits soo?
Old 10 Dec 2005, 09:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Base Size

Well...given that base size is pretty important to the mechanics of the game, I'd find myself the correct 40mm base. Forgeworld is not on the same sheet of music as GW, I guess.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 10 Dec 2005, 09:09   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

You should always use the base size provided with the model, so if you're planning to re-base it, make sure you use a 60mm base or larger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Dec 2005, 09:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

I wouldn't really worry about it.. It looks better on a bigger base IMO (as long as it's based well).

It would affect things like unit coherency, and ranges (measuring from base edge to base edge), though I don't know of anything saying that you have to stick to the base sizes of the normal units.. to allow for conversions, scenic bases etc.

Though, if you use a flying stand - just don't glue it into the model? So you can always switch bases if needed back to the original size.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 09:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Rodent

I would just stick with the one it came with.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 10:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Base size is critical. It affects your ability to get behind terrain, it affects difficult terrain checks, it affects how many enemy models can get into base to base with you. There is a standard size for each model, and having the wrong size can be an issue (of course, if it's disadvantageous to you, nobody will complain :) at a tourney. The standard size for XV-8 series suits is 40mm. The base supplied by forgeworld is incorrect, bordering on illegal. I had the same issue with terminators. I originally put them on 40mm bases, because it looks better, and their feet overhang the standard round slottabases that they're supposed to use. Well, with more frontage per model, they got overwhelmed in combat, and I had issues hiding large squads behind smaller bits of cover. When I rebased them on the correct bases, their perfomance improved dramatically. For a display model, I'd go with the 60mm, but if you intend to play with it, I'd strongly recommend getting a 40mm base for correctness. GW supplies 40s with crisis suits, if forgeworld supplied 60s, they're simply wrong...since it's GW's sandbox they're playing in.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Closed Thread