Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Formula for calculating massed fire effectiveness (Mathhammer squared)
Closed Thread
Old 10 Dec 2005, 06:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Formula for calculating massed fire effectiveness (Mathhammer squared)

I've just finished creating a spreadsheet that calculates the firing effectiveness of single strength units (can't do crisis suits, vehicles, etc. --though it could with some creative work). I'll gladly send it to anyone who wishes to receive a copy (just PM me with an address where you'd like it sent, and hopefully I'll remember to check). By using a gnarly formula and a little patience I think I was able to effectively calculate the expected wounding rates for each unit.

I would love for anyone to comment on the formula, but I've checked it several times (against hand calculations) and I think it's finally right. If you don't know Excel, or programming logic, it might be a little bit of a pain (well, it will be anyway), but here's the calculation if anyone is willing to scrutinize it (to make sure there's no mistakes):

(TotalShots*BSkill%)*((3+(IF(TargetT>=ShootS+4,-3,(IF(ShootS+3=TargetT,1+ShootS-TargetT,ShootS-TargetT)))))/6)*(IF(WeapAP>Save,(Save-1)/6,IF("cover",(Save-1)/6,1)))

TotalShots = Total amount of shots from unit (it is calculated in the spreadsheet for each range)
BSkill% = resulting success percentage of BS. So BS 3=.5, Twinlinked BS2=.56, etc.
TargetT = Target's Toughness
ShootS = Shooter's Strength
Save = Target's Save

Current 'features' of the spreadsheet -
- Compares same point amount effectiveness (in terms of wounds caused) for all units in the spreadsheet. It calculates the maximum number of units (rounded down) based on a provided point amount and calculates using resulting number.
- Shows results for stationary and moving units (if there is a difference) and shows effectiveness at different ranges (which would need to be customized for each army)
- Shows results for all unique Strength and Armor combinations up to 8T. It's only 8 because standard Tau shooters can only damage up to 8T with S5 weapons. Though it is written for Tau, adding more would be easy.
- Has different results for cover (special) saves vs armor saves.
- It is currently made with the TAU in mind, but could easily be adapted to any army with just by modifying the appropriate stats.
- It rounds to the nearest hundredth, so it's not absolutely perfect, but it's close enough. This isn't really a feature, just an FYI.

This has probably been done before, but I did it because I wanted a more complete picture than the here and there against this and that analysis that always seems to happen. This way, at a glance, I have all those numbers handy, so I know what is more effective against what at what ranges.

Next I hope to work on a unit SURVIVABILITY matrix, then possibly a multi turn Hand to Hand attrition matrix. This one was kinda fun, so I'll see what I can do.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Closed Thread