Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shield or no shield?
Closed Thread
Old 10 Dec 2005, 05:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Shield or no shield?

I've been looking at Tau army lists for a while, and one thing I've noticed is that most armies can field alot more Battlesuits than me. Than I realised that these lists did not give their Battlesuits shield generators.

Is it better to scrap the shield generator for low points cost, (and hope the krak missiles miss :&#39

Or give them shield generators, for about as many points as another battlesuit (I also use hard - wired multi - trackers)

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 10 Dec 2005, 05:46   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to sandrockMS
Default Re: Shield or no shield?

I don't use shield generators for my crisis suits, but I always take them for teams of broadsides now that shield drones are nearly useless.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 05:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The generator isn't worth it in any situation. Either you're hiding and firing long range weapons, deep striking on suicide runs to certain death, or you're an HQ unit. Don't let anyone else tell you different.

In all three of those situations, the invulnerable save won't help you enough to make up for the hefty points. It's reasonable on XV-88's, but even then you can always assume you will have at least one piece of cover to hide in or behind for them.

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 10 Dec 2005, 10:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Holy Frijoles! How in the world did you get -12 karma??? Anyway, I disagree, somewhat. There is one type of crisis suit that benefits from shield generators, and it's not one that I use, either. Shield generators are good for suits that get up close and personal with plasma guns and plasma pistols (which would, presumably, also expose them to lascannons and krak missiles in the process). There are really only two suits that get that friendly with space marine squads, the helios and the burning eye. The helios doesn't have a hardpoint available, due to needing the multitracker, but if it could take one, it would be highly recommended (obviously, a monat can take one, I'm thinking of squads here). But the burning eye does.

Now, I personally prefer the helios to the burning eye for reasons I don't feel are pertinent to this thread, but the burning eye absolutely should have the shield generator. But for any other crisis suit? Yeah, SD, you're right, save the points, it aint worth it.

Quote:
"Cheese for the cheese god! More wins for Pwn!"
Old 10 Dec 2005, 10:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

OK! The vote is unanimous!

Thanks for that guys. (You made me buy more suits :'( :'( :'()

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 10 Dec 2005, 11:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to vsurma

Normal suits I would not bother, not for the cost, normal suits for me will be 3 fireknife, or perhaps try deathrain, either way, JSJ at long range so no need bar Indirect but those will be handled.

Suicide, well it might draw another units fire but I would not bother, 3 shield gens buys another crisis, cost is not justified.

However Shas'o with helios config might be worth it considering it has 4 wounds, problem is that most ap2 weapons are also instakilling power so its not that usefull, sure it might take 3 rokkets instead of 1.5 but I am not sure that is reason enough, with 4 wounds you can take a few plasma hits anyway.

You notice that when you give your opponant a rules advantage, they never ask you to show you THAT rule in your codex.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 12:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Never worth it. The option is so bad you should just pretend it doesn't exist.

2005 record:
SVA: winning Faction
London Conflict: 3rd Place
GT Heat 2: 4th Place
Warfare 2005: tournament winner
Old 10 Dec 2005, 12:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I gave my commander shaso a shield. It was the only thing that allowed me to beat those beserkers in "small battle". I feel its useful for the shaso, but not for regular suits, its way too expensive.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 13:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

2 things make the shield gennerator a useful item, power weapon wielding assasines or other badies and high strength ordanance. Such as battle cannons. Dont get me wrong I am not saying every suite should be armed with them. But on a helios suite it is a very good thing. My Shas'O is armed with a FB, PR and a Shield Genn (also a HW MT of course) and the shield has proven a life saver more times than I ever want to hazard a guess at. Whether it be a Death Cult assassine catching him in cc or battle cannons scattering onto him or anything else its saved him a great many times. For a command unit that is going to be getting up so close and personal (12-18" usually) its almost nececary as he will have a good bit harder time keeping out of the way of assaults than my other suits (Burst Cannon, missil pod and MT armed) who stay at around 24" away from their target.

If you have a close ranged suite, especially a commander, then the Shield Gennerator is a good thing. If you have broadsides it can also be a good thing, but on normal suits its just usually a points sink, either step them into cover or trust that the enemy will be wanting to shoot at other things first (hammerheads, broadsides and juicy clusters of Firewarriors for example).

Old 10 Dec 2005, 14:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I tend to agree that on average SGens are not worth the points, but as Vash said there are a few notable exceptions:

1) Suicide Suits, or rather suits with Fusion Blasters and Flamers that you actually intend to use!
2) Commanders - protecting points investment on close-range shooters.
3) If your opponent plays Ulthwe and brings a Seer Council that can dish out 5 Mind Wars per turn :.
Closed Thread