Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Caste Traits
Closed Thread
Old 09 Dec 2005, 20:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Caste Traits

In the Tau codex it says that the different castes are almost different species.

I know Fire caste are bulky, and apparently Air caste have wings, but what physical traits do the Water and Earth castes have? ???

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 09 Dec 2005, 20:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Caste Traits

Air caste don't have wings, though at one point in Tau evolution they did. They are very tall and slender and their bones are very fragile. Possibly hollow.

Water caste Tau are tall and skinny, sllightly taller than a human, Water Caste are the most similar to the Ethereals in appearance, though obvioulsy they lack the diamond shaped bone ridge.

Earth Caste Tau are short and bulky, though not as large as Fire Warriors who are the largest of the Tau.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 09 Dec 2005, 21:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

from the index xenos:
Quote:
Much can be gleaned from studying a Tau's appearance; its caste, rank, home world and status within society. It's common for a Tau to bear a single scalp lock, adorned with ornamented ringlets and baubles indicative of rank and position. The more elaborate decoration on the scalp lock, the higher the Tau's rank and position are likely to be. There are also more specific ways one can establish from which caste a Tau originates. For example, Tau from the Fire caste (the warrior caste) are likely to be heavily battle-scarred, and it is not uncommon to find its senior members with limbs replaced by cybernetic implants.
Fire Warriors tend to originate from the hottest worlds in the Tau empire and thus their skin tones are generally darker than others, with ritual scarring and tattos of battle honours. The workers and builders of the Tau come from the Earth caste, and have 'blunter', more prosaic features than most other Tau. They are stouter than other Tau, tending to have heavily callused hands and a pragmatic outlook on life. The Earth caste are less given to ornamentation and only very rarely indulge in any form of personal decoration, which they see as frivolous and unnecessary.
The Air caste form the pilots and messengers of the Tau and spend a great deal of time in space. As such their skin is usually paler and their bone structure far lighter than other Tau. Indeed, some of the bones in the Air castes' upper body are hollow, perhaps a genetic throwback to the days when these Tau are said to have sported wings and could fly. If members of the Air caste are ever forced to spend any time on the surface of the planet, they are exceptionally careful in their movements, as long-term exposure to weightlessness or artificial gravity reduces skeletal strength and makes their bones extremely brittle. The Water caste are the traders and diplomats, and Tau of this caste are generally the most cosmopolitan and well travelled. As such their features are softer and much more expressive than other Tau. The respect these Tau have for other cultures makes them more open do diversification of dress and the integration of alien cultural idioms. It is not unusual for a Tau merchant to enter into negotiations clad in the dress of those he deals with. Of course, while these may be indulged in fo rpractical purposes, it is never at the expense of the Tau way, which they hold as manifestly superior to anything non-Tau.
The final Tau caste is also the most mysteriuos. Their faces bear the same typically flat features of the Tau, but in the centre of their forhead is a diamond shaped ridge of raised bone. The purpose of this, if it even serves a purpose, is a mystery and despite every attempt, the Inquisition has been unable to obtain an Ethereal's body for further study. The lack of knowledge concerning this, potentially the most powerful and important, caste is a source of much consternation amongst the Ordo Xenos and any scraps of information that can be gleaned are eagerly seized upon.
i love my fluff bible! ;D

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 09 Dec 2005, 21:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for that Falstead, Deadnight.

Where do you get the index xenos? I haven't seen it in my store. (It is a fairly small store though)

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 09 Dec 2005, 23:26   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via ICQ to winggundamz Send a message via AIM to winggundamz Send a message via MSN to winggundamz Send a message via Yahoo to winggundamz

basicaly look at the new up grade on GW the vespieds are acentually the air cast even thought the fire cast are mainly the war goin. The vespids have wings and are a form of the TAU race but they are a differnt subrace such as the humans races.
Old 09 Dec 2005, 23:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Are you sure winggundamz?

The vespids don't look anything like Tau to me.

Sure Tau evolve fast but not even Tyranids evolve THAT fast.

Old 10 Dec 2005, 00:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well they are blue but i think they are a different race
Old 10 Dec 2005, 00:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by winggundamz
basicaly look at the new up grade on GW the vespieds are acentually the air cast even thought the fire cast are mainly the war goin. The vespids have wings and are a form of the TAU race but they are a differnt subrace such as the humans races.
And where the heck did you get that idea from? The idea of the Vespids being a Tau subspecies is one of the most pittifully unlikely I have ever heard. Thier anatomy is very different, they make use of technology that is not Tau-standard... At least have a verifiable source for such an idea beyond "cuz i sed so".
Old 11 Dec 2005, 20:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Well, the Air Caste are already seen, and they look nothing like the vespids. I mean, check Forgeworld's pilots and Air Crew, they're air caste. Look in the codex, and you can see one hanging onto the portal of a ship, whilst earthcaste unload things and there's a firewarrior or three shooting their carbines.

Xisor
Old 11 Dec 2005, 21:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

On the note of the tyranids, yes they can evolve that fast :'(. The parent's offspring can have compltely different traits than the parent. A hormagaunt could give birth to a Ravenger. the tyranids extremly fast evolution allows them to evovle new species with the next generation so that most poisons won't affect the babies, and that they will always have the next new weapon ready in a few months or so. Suck alot for there enemies huh. :-\

The vespid are flying bugs that have no relation ship to the Tau except that their race is in the Tau empire.

Closed Thread